• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone have a BMP/OT-90?

dmetalmiki

I was going to get one of those (ot90) but with the hassle of the width regulations for road use changing, I am trying for a wheeled "Russian thing" If and when I can get some response from the dealers advertising such stuff, and not responding. Still the mission continues..

Timberwolf22

I was going to get one of those (ot90) but with the hassle of the width regulations for road use changing, I am trying for a wheeled "Russian thing" If and when I can get some response from the dealers advertising such stuff, and not responding. Still the mission continues..
We did not start off looking for an OT-90.... actually found the OT-90 because it has the turret off of one of the the vehicle we were looking at the OT-64. We agree with you..... the requirement to transport and NOT being able to use it on the roads - not just width but the steel tracks as well limited what we could do - for now.

That being said it is an amazing amount of fun driving around the property.

Timberwolf22

How on earth did you manage to shed a track??? Inadequate track tension or what????
MadCat2 was pulling the broken CASE track loader/backhoe back to the garage for repairs and turned in mud while under tension and that was enough ....... the entertainment was getting the track back on the OT-90.

MadCat2

Currently sand blasting and priming my OT-90 now, pics to follow. We did manage to get an English manual and found out the radio is still installed and powered right up- amazingly. It does cross over on the 6M band so we can pick it up on our HAM radios, if we can plug in a mike to transmit. Now, I do have Russian helmets w the mikes in them, but I am in search of the pull away cable that connects to the intercom, like the VIC system. Any leads or suggestions?

MadCat2

The interesting part is getting the rear road wheel to pivot forward and release track tension. That was a fun time in the mud!

datadawg

Currently sand blasting and priming my OT-90 now, pics to follow. We did manage to get an English manual and found out the radio is still installed and powered right up- amazingly. It does cross over on the 6M band so we can pick it up on our HAM radios, if we can plug in a mike to transmit. Now, I do have Russian helmets w the mikes in them, but I am in search of the pull away cable that connects to the intercom, like the VIC system. Any leads or suggestions?
No idea where to source this, but you can try contacting mortar investments in Czech Republic. They sell Warsaw Pact armor and may have spares. They are very hard to get a hold of via email, however. I was interested in buying a whole vehicle, and it could take a week for reply. May be worth trying to post to hmvf forum, they have members in Ukraine/Russia/Poland/Czech, that might be able to help.

Robin33ba07

hello again ,2 things to say look up www.royalsignals.ork.uk and you will find a free down load of operating instructions for the Russian radio R123 in the BMP/OT90
also if you look up www.mobile.de website ,go to the truck section ,then over 7.5tonne section ,put panzer in to the "model" section ,up should come a BMP and an OT90 for sale by German dealers in the price range of €20/22k ,the is also a vehicle for sale by Mortar Investments at around €31k

BiffJ

What an awesome sound that engine makes. I love driving these things too. Who was driving in the video?

Frank

Timberwolf22

What an awesome sound that engine makes. I love driving these things too. Who was driving in the video?

Frank
MadCat2 was the driver...... he is much better than I am when it comes to finding the gears in the rather temperamental shifting column. I still struggle with the gear placement.... and she is not "happy" if you stall her in gear on an incline...... not that I would know or anything.

BiffJ

MadCat2 was the driver...... he is much better than I am when it comes to finding the gears in the rather temperamental shifting column. I still struggle with the gear placement.... and she is not "happy" if you stall her in gear on an incline...... not that I would know or anything.
Not sure what you mean.....it would be possible to come up with a screwier layout for a shift pattern but I'm not sure how. I have a tough time remembering that 4 and 5 are really oddly placed too. Blipping the throttle helps with shifting down quite a bit. Staying off the clutch is a good idea too.....minimize time with the pedal depressed keeps the plates from welding themselves together. The clutch itself is a multi-plate unit with only steel plates....no asbestos or other friction material on the plates so its steel on steel. If you hold the pedal down too long the plates heat up and drag on each other creating more heat. At some point they will weld up and then break loose which creates pitting and spalling on the faces. Eventually you'll find you can't get it into gear because the clutch won't disengage.

Frank

Timberwolf22

I have to disagree I think the column shift is quite easy to master ,and always double clutch and do the gear changes as gently as possible
You may be right.... I have surely not mastered it yet but I am practicing.

I will say they sure did not waste much space in the driver or TC crewman area..... we joke about the unloved gunner with no hatch. Lots of room in the back right now however I would imagine with a full infantry section, their gear and all the port mounted weapons it would fill up fast!

Next goal..... keep sanding & painting then working on comm equipment.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks