• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

SF-97/Title options for a trailer in VA

OldDominionIron2

I recently won a M105A2 trailer, and was wondering what paperwork comes with it if I don't request an SF-97 or a title? A bill of sale? GL's rules on titling say if I request an SF-97/title they will charge me accordingly. This makes it sound optional, and I was wondering if it really is.

Attachments

Bighurt

I recently won a M105A2 trailer, and was wondering what paperwork comes with it if I don't request an SF-97 or a title? A bill of sale? GL's rules on titling say if I request an SF-97/title they will charge me accordingly. This makes it sound optional, and I was wondering if it really is.
Most states need it to prove you didn't steal the vehicle, although in some states a bill of sale is fine. The SF-97 has more info other than your word.

Best to call the state.

Turns out ND needs the SF-97 so I'll be applying for mine after I retrieve the goods.

KsM715

The SF-97 is optional from GL. The only paper work you'll have proving the trailer is yours is your paid-in-full invoice.

flyxpl

after paying for the sf 97, tax and title it adds a good chuck of change to the $250 I paid for the trailer .
Every request for Sf 97 I have had I was given Arizona titles instead of the sf97 .

Last edited:

Nonotagain

Virginia won't accept a SF-97, so a title is going to be required.

It's crappy you purchase a vehicle and then have to pay for the paperwork to make it legal.

I can't believe that GL can sell any motor vehicle without providing paperwork that is legally accepted that you are now the rightfull owner.

OldDominionIron2

I've got a question submitted to the Virginia DMV and will post their response here when I get it. I agree that it's crappy to have to pay for paperwork, I believe that that should be covered by GL's 10% buyer's premium. My question to the DMV is is a bill of sale enough paperwork to register a trailer that has never been titled before and is being bought as government surplus.

Bighurt

I've got a question submitted to the Virginia DMV and will post their response here when I get it. I agree that it's crappy to have to pay for paperwork, I believe that that should be covered by GL's 10% buyer's premium. My question to the DMV is is a bill of sale enough paperwork to register a trailer that has never been titled before and is being bought as government surplus.
I asked, via phone, the NDDOT the same question and they asked me why and I explained GL.

They said "don't they give out sf-97's anymore"

Darnit...

Nonotagain

I've got a Andrew Grant that says you are going to have to pay for a title.

wsucougarx

In WA state, our local licensing agents will not touch a military trailer without a transfer of title or an SF97. They said a bill of sale alone will not cut it.

oops, just noticed you had VA not WA.

Last edited:

mikeprince

In California you'll need an SF97 if you're going to register the trailer "as-is" because the trailer has never been registered before.

Another route you might take (and the one I'll likely do for my new-to-me m101a1) is to use parts from the trailer to create a "special construction" home built trailer. For this to work you'll have to show receipts for major components such as the axles, wheels, tires, brake lights, etc. So if you're swapping in a new axle you will probably have enough in receipts to handle this.

OldDominionIron2

Here is the response from the Virginia DMV.

Thank you for visiting www.dmvnow.com.

Is the bill of sale issued by the goverment on letterhead with the original Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MOC)? Do you have any other paperwork other then a bill of sale and what type of government agency is selling the trailer?

Since the bill of sale will come from GL and not the government, it looks like I'm going to have to shell out the money for a title for this trailer. My next question is since the model year is "unknown," how do I go about finding the year of manufacture of this trailer? Is it possible to track down the serial number or contact the manufacturer? Does Carnac do trailers?

Nonotagain

Here is the response from the Virginia DMV.

Thank you for visiting www.dmvnow.com.

Is the bill of sale issued by the goverment on letterhead with the original Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MOC)? Do you have any other paperwork other then a bill of sale and what type of government agency is selling the trailer?

Since the bill of sale will come from GL and not the government, it looks like I'm going to have to shell out the money for a title for this trailer. My next question is since the model year is "unknown," how do I go about finding the year of manufacture of this trailer? Is it possible to track down the serial number or contact the manufacturer? Does Carnac do trailers?
I don't remember what model of trailer you purchased, but if the sale didn't give a date of manufacture, pick a date that you want.

Since Virginia hits you for personal property tax, I'd probably use a 1980's date since they would only hit you for a couple of $'s per year. Also purchase a permanent tag since they are easy to get. Lastly, lots of folks in VA just throw a "Farm TAG" on trailers and I'm sure they don't get them titled.

I'm using 2009 for the model year since they might be worth a few more $'s if I were to decide to sell them.

DieselBob

Nonotagain, would you happen to know if Maryland accepts a SF-97 to register a trailer. I have a 105 that I would like to tag later this year.

Nonotagain

Nonotagain, would you happen to know if Maryland accepts a SF-97 to register a trailer. I have a 105 that I would like to tag later this year.
Yes Bob, Maryland accepts the SF-97. There was a list that showed what states accepted the SF-97 verses the ones that require a title, but I can't seem to find it now. I'll keep digging.

I wanted to title a couple of my trailers in Virginia so that I would only have to pay one time. I'm planning on moving later this year. I asked GL if I could pay for a title instead of the SF-97 and was informed that since I still reside in MD, I could only get the SF-97.

Unforgiven

As I understood it you could, in theory, request an SF97 directly from the government for free.

GL does it as a courtesy (for a fee of course).

I could be wrong.

DUHON

I just got my m101a2 registered with the DMV this week. I provided the GL paid invoice and walked out with tags 20 minutes later:driver:

Alabama does not issue title for utility trailers or anything over 30 years old. Bill of sale is all you need.

Good luck.

twa@ezdn.net

I picked up a M101 today in Richmond and used a $5.00 permit to get it home. I would be interested in hearing the VDOT response to your question.
Seems like alot of hassle for a trailer. I will say the trailer is immaculate with
3 brand new tires, new canvas and paint (and some other goodies in the bed) So i'm not complaining to much.

Nonotagain

I really wish the Peoples Republic of Maryland had those temp permits.
You got that right.

I used to have access to my brothers transport tag. He allowed his lease to expire, so they would not renew his tag.

A couple of weeks back, I did a favor for a guy that owns a shop that has a transport tag and asked if I could borrow it. He confirmed that I could use his tag, but it's not good for interstate transport.

I will be using it next week to pick up my M101a3's from Ft Meade.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks