• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

bobbed M880/CUMMINS hybrid

m880 unimog

MADE THE PLINTH'S-to mount the hinge pieces on

cut a load of other parts on the bandsaw and turned some tubular spacers on the lathe

relieved all the edges and set the various jobs out on the surface plate

tack welded then fixed in situ with carver clamps

finnish welded one hinge piece complete,hope to get the rest done tomorrow including mounting onto plinth,s

HAPPY THAT SCUM BIN LARDON IS WASTED:grin:

GREAT DAY. WELL DONE USA:jumpin:

Attachments

m880 unimog

had a good day-the sun was out early,so i got the truck bed strapped to the forklift,

lifted body off and set on tressles-

with the help of dave the rave,we got the bed squared up and the cut rear section aligned correctly with the main part of the bed-

then drill tech screwed the two together,thisd pulled the joints in closer-

cut a lump of timber to press the two pices together-

tack welded and ran a seam across half the bed.

finnish welded the rear frame and test fitted-

Attachments

m880 unimog

ok the show went great ,we raised a bunch of money for our chosen forces charity,s seeing as the government here give more support to our enemies [ by housing them and there rat families ] we thought a donation direct to unit would be better than all the trendy charities.

OK-:jumpin: any of you guys got any tips on mounting this tipper gear?it looks pretty simple,one solenoid to raise the ram the other to lower? direct neutral to the unit and a live to a three position switch and then to each solenoid?
do these things auto cut pressure at the top/bottom of the ram travel?
it,s a 12volt unit with a manual pump facility also.
never fitted one-thought i,d ask here before weighing in.im looking to mount it centrally and toward the rear of the bed frame-all advice received with thanks.

Attachments

T. Highway

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These units typically don't have a cut out at the end of the stroke but they are oil cushioned. (the pump will continue to run at the end of the cylinder travel as long as you hold the power to it) The downward travel of the tipper is gravity and is somewhat controlled by the down solenoid. The black round knob may be a flow control valve for the oil returning to the reservoir. I sent a PM for the switch and other details.

m880 unimog

put the hydraulic job to one side:doh:-fired up the gas axe and put a bend in the gearshift stick,i,ll do final mods on this when the seat is in situ-

cut the props,machined the u jays and saddle,s-

cut the props to there new lengths-

set the u- jays and carriers up onto the shortened props-i,ll true these in the lathe-then test and final weld.

bear in mind these two props just drive to the transfer case,so there is very little movement,the gearbox and transfer case both sit on dedicated heavy duty isolating dampers.

glad to have got some done on DODGEYMOG[thumbzup]

Attachments

m880 unimog

i cut up an old c02 bottle and made a restraint to stop the props climbing through the floor in case they ever let go-

also made some chassis anchors to fit a 4.5 tonne steel hawser to stop the cummins donk climbing into the cab if i ever go wheels up or impact front or rear-

also started to mock up the cold side turbo intake-got a heap of parts ordered-

feels good to be laying into this ol' mopar again-:beer:

Attachments

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
been away racing old brit bikes in france,and had my birthday in tenerife-

as soon as i got home i layed right back into my truck-
Ok I'll bite, whats with the names on the tanks? Buddies bike part Norton/Vincent yours Triumph/Norton. You sent me back to 73 when I had saved for a year while in the Navy to buy a MK2 Dunstall instead of a car. Wish I had never sold it.

m880 unimog

Ok I'll bite, whats with the names on the tanks? .
you got it both manx norton frames-as they handle real solid-

big bike has a 1135cc vincent series c rapide engine with lots of trickery inside.

triton has 833cc and burns methanol-gas flowed and very punchy.

paul dunstall=very clever man.

m880 unimog

well now, i got a few jobs kicked into touch and started on a few more-

i have the pedal box [clutch brake] mounted temporary where it will live

i have the bench seat back in place-some work needed there.

i got annoyed with not being able to progress the tipper or the engine final mounting-so i decided to do a job start to finish-i stripped the rust,cleaned up and painted the dashboard-i will put this back together tomorrow,and its done with

i have mocked up the cold side turbo ram air,i,ve used PVC-but the first two elbows will be stainless steel due to the proximity of the exhaust manifold.

i welded up some brackets to 'off road duty' my welding trolley,this will allow me to drag the welders across the soggy ground this winter without cursing such a blue streak that the neighbours close windows.:oops:

the last shot shows just how rotten this cab is-but it,s a MOPAR-so it,s worth it.:deadhorse:

Attachments

m880 unimog

got my wider wheels sourced-hard work-over a year,collect these next few weeks.

chopped the hand brake down to clear the gear shifter.

got the bench seat in there so can finalise main control positions.

been away for a while at the hot rod super nationals-saw this beautiful coronet-my all time favourite mopar muscle-also while mooching about i found the rear light i was looking for,taken two years to find this part-got two lights and three lenses for £5-00 / $9-73-very happy and the show had sun for three days!!

back with some photos as and when:p

Attachments

m880 unimog

Thank you for your truly inspirational thread!
Bruce
well thank you-sometimes i look at the jobs i have done, and then look at the jobs i still have in front and think ' what the fark am i doing here? io could be in the pub or riding my bikes'

but you can,t buy trucks how i want this one.:grin:

AND-i got tired of not having room to swing and set the bigger jobs in my tiny workshop,so i designed this racking to take a load of my machine tooling and to put 4 or five grinders and a linisher in easy reach of the welding bay-man i am tired of grinding tungstons-should be easier now-

i got the transmission brake tacked up,fitted it fettled it and got it right then final welded it.this was one of those jobs that had more in it than when you first looked at it-done now[thumbzup]

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks