• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV frame off restoration

DUHON

Has anyone done a complete frame off CUCV rebuild. I am talking frame media blast and powder coat, complete engine and tranny rebuild, rebuild axles, body work and paint, brakes, etc. Not a fancy show truck but a solid daily driver that would last another 10 years without fear of breaking down all the time.

If so, what did you do and how much. I think a project like this would be a lot of money but if you compare to a cost of a newer vehicle then its not so bad.

Thanks

chupa

The gentleman who restored my M1028 took the bed, doors, fenders, etc. off. Repainted everything. New dash, new bench seat, new door panels, new factory floor mat, painted interior. All 3 color camo CARC too. The truck looks factory-fresh! I'd post photos after I figure out how to. It was on the "high end" as far as CUCV pricing goes but I got a turn-key truck that's ready as my daily driver.

Last edited:

JDToumanian

Polishing a turd if you ask me..... I've owned upwards of 30 vehicles in my life, and my 1009 is among the worst. Flame away CUCV lovers! :p

Jon

airmech

Mine almost fits that description. I consider it more of a refurb than restoration as it is no longer military. Started out as a quick clean up and ended up competely dismantled and rebuilt/modified. The truck is about 95% new with most parts NOS GM. Not a show piece but it's been reliable and love the simplicity of it.

Attachments

JDToumanian

Well, my girlfriend likes my 1009 better than I do.... She served in the army and drove/rode in them. I like some things about it, but.....

What I meant by my comment was that you could pour hours of effort and thousands of dollars into doing a first class restoration, and you still have a vehicle made out of flimsy thin sheet metal that cracks, with doors that seem to never close nicely, and powered by the 6.2, an engine I used to be neutral about but have grown to dislike.

Maybe if I saw a well done CUCV in person I'd see the same potential in my own... I just logged in so I can see the pics, airmech's truck looks great. I'm not knockin' anyone's effort, I'm just dissatisfied with all the problems mine has had and still has. Engine and electrical mostly. And flimsy sheet metal.

Jon

Last edited:

GM 1008

Not interested in restoring the m1008, just make it a little quieter, have a radio and cruise control. Anyhow, at the moment, I have the high/low beam switch, (the lever at the steering column) isn't changing the lights. I purchased a new switch but have no clue how to remove the steering column and how complicated it is. Does anyone here know how it is done and how complicated it is? Thanks

nyoffroad

Not interested in restoring the m1008, just make it a little quieter, have a radio and cruise control. Anyhow, at the moment, I have the high/low beam switch, (the lever at the steering column) isn't changing the lights. I purchased a new switch but have no clue how to remove the steering column and how complicated it is. Does anyone here know how it is done and how complicated it is? Thanks
Well short of looking it up in the TM's the dimmer switch is mounted ON the column and you don't have to remove it! Been awhile but IIRC a nimble person can replace it without lowering the column, the rest of us seems to have to remove the plastic bezel and the painted metal piece below the column. Then loosed the bolts that hold the column in place, you may have to remove the bolts I don't remember. Anyway the switch is mounted on the column about halfway down on the upper left and is triggered with a long metal rod. I'l bet that someone else will soon be here and tell you exactly how and what size everything is.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks