• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Laundry Trailer behind an M37

MDSA

Needed to work on the laundry tailer today so I pulled it up with the M37 in low. Did fine, but the kids (all-knowing teens) wondered if I'd end up in the woods when I tried backing the trailer back down to its usual resting place. Nope. But I hate to think how the combination would do on the open road - not a chance of finding out from me.

Did 2 things to the laundry trailer: painted the ramps with a thick coat of paint. Then I added a bit of sand for traction when the paint dries. I figure this will help if the M37 needs loading when it's raining, or if loading a lighter vehicle.

I also got around to fixing the spare tire carrier under the laundry trailer. The metal bar at the end of the cable was missing. Added said bar, clamped the cable with 2 cable clips, stowed the tire nice and tight. Should be fine.

That and a few other odd jobs made for a profitable Saturday.

Attachments

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What ramps do you have?

I just backed my laundry trailer in the pole barn with the M108. What a pain. Dark out, just enough room to fit, no ground guide, and not enough room in front of the barn to get a straight shot in. Spend a lot of time just spinning the manual steering.

I think it's just as bad as the 105's at backing up. Other than that, it's a great trailer.

Last edited:

3dAngus

I wouldn't trade my M1061a1 for three M105s

No friggin way!!!!! Seriously!

The M106 trailer is heavy for that vehicle though. It is bad though. I absolutely love it.

I want to see the ramps. Did you make them yourself?

AMGeneral

If I remember correctly,they are made from 14 inch X1/2 inch wide channel iron cut to 7 1/2 ft length,with 3/8 inch x 4 inch angle iron welded to the underside to hook to the 3 inch schedule 80 pipe slipped through the rear tiedown eyes for supports.

I don't make anything light duty.

MDSA

Yes, Brandon made them for me. I didn't measure but his recollection sounds about right. The pics ought to tell the story. The pipes are removable so as not to interfere with the tie down loops. Also follow this link to see them in use loading the M37.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/conversations/61503-then-unexpected-happened-3.html

They work very well and one man is able to maneuver them around - with a bit of effort.

Attachments

3dAngus

Both sets of pictures tell the story pretty well and have eliminated a great deal of questions I had for you. I would love to use my M1061e1 trailer to tote a M37 and duplicate your effort. I was wondering how you got it up there with the high platform and all, and thought I might have to get both to a loading platform if I go this way. You guys seemed to have worked it out though it does seem like a steep load. Nice trailer and nice truck. Thanks again.
Oh, and if you decide to ever sell the M37, be sure to PM me . Ha!

3dAngus

Thanks for the data on that Squirt-Truck. I was wondering and you read my mind.

I can say, The brakes on my fairly unused M106 trailer like that, some call a laundry trailer, are good enough to stop it by itself. It is an air over hydraulic braking system. I would be worried about pulling that 5000 pounds of trailer loaded with anything, which would increase the weight. Might blow a head gasket or something on a M37, especially if hilly.

He has a Deuce though, so no problem. We pulled my entire laundry unit, weighing in at 12,500 pounds loaded with a Deuce. Slowing down going uphill, and pushing down going downhill, but it all worked out and 50mph was possible on the long straight level roads.

Not sure if the M37 has air to the back of the truck (glad hands) or not. Comment on that anyone?

Nonotagain

He has a Deuce though, so no problem. We pulled my entire laundry unit, weighing in at 12,500 pounds loaded with a Deuce. Slowing down going uphill, and pushing down going downhill, but it all worked out and 50mph was possible on the long straight level roads.

Not sure if the M37 has air to the back of the truck (glad hands) or not. Comment on that anyone?
No air on a M37 unless he installed a compressor.

MDSA wasn't advocating pulling a M1061 trailer with the M-37, just that for his use on a Private road, it did what was required to move the trailer so that he could perform a little work.

3dAngus

Oh, that would be my Bad! Sorry. Sometimes, a picture is worth a thousand words, sometimes we read to much into it.

Always nice to move the trailers quickly when you gotta cut the grass.

Thanks Nonotagain. You're right!

MDSA

Yes, let me clarify, I am NOT pulling the laundry trailer on the open road with an M37. Just used the M37 to pull her out to level ground because the M37 is easier to maneuver than the Deuce.

No air lines on the M37 and of course no brakes then on the laundry trailer while behind the M37. That is why my teenage boys thought I would end up in the woods when I backed her down the driveway to the trailer's usual spot. Again, I used LOW and she did fine.

When I pulled the M37 on the laundry trailer behind the Deuce, it was slow going on hills. Handled fine, braked fine, just a lot of weight going against gravity.

The ramps seemed a bit steep to me the first time I loaded the M37, but I used LOW and she pulled right up nice and slow with plenty of room to play. The ramps might be a bit narrower than is best, but I had a guide watching while loading and unloading, so no real trouble. Remember, LOW in a M37 is mighty slow. Extra gas was not needed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks