• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need advise asap

yeshualives7

ATTENTION!! I am a girl you needs YOUR expert ADVISE. I am going to Mississippi tomorrow to pick up a M35A2 Deuce and 1/2 I bought on Ebay. I will be making a 400 mile trip back home and have never drove one before. I watched video of girls driving Deuces on youtube and it doesn't seem too hard. Do you think I will be able to do it? Also, will the Deuce be able to go this far distance without overheating?
Here are some details about truck:

1971 M35A2C AMERICAN GENERAL TRUCK
DOUBLE DROP SIDE CARGO TRUCK WITH A STEEL BOX COVER
BRAND NEW SET OF DOORS,
LDT-465-1 HERCULES ENGINE WITH A 5 SPEED MANUAL HIGH/LOW
TRANSMISSION, TURBO
GOOD TIRES
FACTORY HEATER
CAME FROM CAMP SHELBY MISSISSIPPI​

Thanks,
Hannah​

Bighurt

Read TM 9-2320-209-10-1

Also you might want to find out if it has a title and current tags, and what if any the vehicles is registered at. Some states have a funny way of telling you what a deuce weighs. ND says mine weighs 27300 double the empty weight, means I need a CDL to drive it. Research is a good idea before buying 13k+ lb vehicle that you've never driven before.

Last edited:

R Racing

I would have somone follow you in a truck full of tools to be on the safe side.Just so you know many deuces don't have brakes after sitting for a while. You need to ask if they work or not ! The deuce is generally a very dependable truck. BUT no 1 here knows for sure what you have there. since we haven't seen it or have gone over it. check all fluids ! ( engine oil, anti freeze, Trans, differentials, AND ESPICALLY BRAKE FLUID !!! ) The Deuce doesn't normally have power steering so be prepaired and think ahead. Go slow and give yourself alot of room to stop don't tailgate ! Do a search on the forums here theres a lot of good information. GOOD LUCK ON YOUR TRIP !

yeshualives7

The states that I will be going through do not require a CDL to drive for truck. The man I am buying it from is retired law inforcement and said the bill of sale will be sufficient until I receive the title in the mail. I have a back up plan to take one of my friend's dad with me. I just wanted to see if it was feasible to do it myself.

emr

:driver: LOL If this is not a joke and it must be, It is even more funny than can be believed, But while we are on it, I was wondering if the info on that ABRAMS was coming in, i was thinking of one of those too..... LOL U got us good I think, really who is this .... !!!!!!!!!

Rustygears

If you have never driven anything bigger than a pickup-
Take some time before hitting the road to thoroughly inspect (in detail) the truck for signs of problems:

• Leaking brake fluid at the wheels (or anything leaking there)
  • Tire condition - cracks, etc especially on the front tires & proper air pressure
  • Make sure that the lug nuts are all tight on all wheel
  • Brake fluid levels
  • Check for excessive play in the steering wheel
Take some time to drive it on a side street. Practice stopping in a sudden stop situation as well as turning corners. Don't kill any kids in the process!

The most essential item is brakes. It is also the Achilles heel of the A2 since there is no secondary brake circuit. If you have an engine issue, you can't drive - too bad for you. If you can't stop - too bad for everyone on the road.

yeshualives7

THe man I buying it from drove it home 260 miles from an auction a month ago. So that's a good sign that it is in good driving condition. Thank you R Racing, I guess I will defiently have my friend's dad follow. He is a diesel mechanic.

1stSarge

:driver: LOL If this is not a joke and it must be, It is even more funny than can be believed, But while we are on it, I was wondering if the info on that ABRAMS was coming in, i was thinking of one of those too..... LOL U got us good I think, really who is this .... !!!!!!!!!
That’s where I was going…CARNAC is that you?

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You realize a M35 is not a honda civic right? Sure you might get lucky and it will drive home for you. But can you even do a basic pre-trip inspection? Brakes being #1, they are notorious for having problems. Lack of brakes on a 13,000lb truck is not good. Wheel bearings set and have grease? Fluids in the transfer, transmission, axles, engine all ok? Did the guy your buying it from do any work to it, or even check anything?

Too late now, but when buying a 40 year old truck, you should probably know something about it first.

I do hope you make home okay, and get to enjoy your truck.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can do it, but it might take a while and a lot of money. Down load the TM. Do a search here about stuff to take with you - there is a wagon load from tools to silicon brake fluid & spare tires. Have some tire chains! Do the regular checks. Be sure to have hearing protection. Do a couple of test runs, local, before leaving. Does the seller have any facilities to work on the truck - there are bound to be some bugs. What is your level of experience? The truck will not handle like vehicles that your use to. Stop often and to walk arounds. Take a phone & plenty of money. Keep us informed. Don't move that truck without appropriate insurance!

One of the reasons your getting a cool reception here, is that you have not provided much information. That is viewed as No Experience driving or working on them. The trucks are notoriously tough, but they have often been subject to "deferred maintenance". So even Guys with lots of experience can have trouble. Towing bills can be prohibitive! It would be best to have it hauled home. That can be done by a professional for a couple of dollars a mile, and would be far safer, perhaps avoiding an accident or stalled on the highway some remote place.

Anyway, stay in touch - BTW, Welcome, and Good Luck

flyxpl

I guess I need to get off my but and post some of my trucks for sale . I could have saved you some driving . I would guess since the guy just drove it home a month ago he has done little or no maintenance , but if it did make the drive for him that is a good sign .
You would be crazy not to take someone with you to help .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks