• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need advise asap

asgtoolman

yeshualives7; I believe that some of the sarcasm you are hearing on this site is SERIOUS CONCERN for you and your safety. SS members will do anything in the world to help you, but you appear to be taking on a very serious task without much preparation. At a minimum, I would enlist your friends Dad to help you with the recovery!
Speaking as the father of two daughters, I would hate for you to fall prey to whatever you may encounter alone on the highway with a 14,000# vehicle and very little experience.
Keep us posted, I am sure many members will be monitoring this thread until you make it safely home.
GOOD LUCK; Remember everyone here has your best interest in mind; some just express it differently

panshark

also, it's good to START A TURN before you stop. I.e. approach a stop sign, slow down, crank the wheel, and then stop. Turning the front tires of a stopped duece, even with stock tires, can easily wear you out. You don't have to turn the wheels all the way before you stop, but getting started into the turn before you stop may help you corner tighter. A 2 1/2 ton truck has a large turning radius, if you've got a chase driver it would be excellent to have him stay a ways behind you in a corner, that way if you can't drive the truck through a corner (oncoming traffic in small import cars get in your way, because you end up needing ONCOMING LANES to complete your turn) you can stop, back up, and fix your turn while the guy behind you is blocking traffic behind you, hazard lights flashing.

Best of luck.

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As far as the sacrastic comments, well, thanks for the laugh. I am glad this could be entertaining. :) I will check back in few hours to view other comments, so please continue to send advice if you would. Thanks again.

First off I would like to say welcome to SteelSoldiers. Always nice to see fresh blood join in on the fun. I hope some of the skepticism shown by a few does not deter you but you have to look at it from their point of view. While this may not have been your intent you join SS and without posting an intro first you go right to asking a question that get's a lot of people's attention from the get go: I've never driven a big truck before nor do I know how to give it a good check over and I plan on jumping right in to one and drive it long distance, is that okay?". On SS it's almost the same as starting a flame war. :) This is a sore spot with many on SS that take safety seriously and have seen what happens when someone let's their ego get in the way of common sense. That is what gets many users here to look at you with mixed feelings. Had you started off asking a few basic questions first (along with an intro) before going right in to a touchy subject then I think you would have received a completely different response. But that's just my 2cents. :)

If you do drive it home you might want to research a few heavy truck towing companies that will be along the way and carry their phone numbers with you. Just keep in mind that most tow trucks that deal with large trucks don't charge by the mile like a car towing company. They usually charge by the hour and the clock starts when the truck leaves the barn, not when they get to you. So if you break down far from the nearest town the tow bill can add up real quick.

Also, you might want to check in to whether you will need IFTA (International Fuel Tax Agreement) and IRP (International Registration Plan) permits for each state you will be driving through. While an M35 is under the requirement for a CDL it does face issues with IFTA/IRP due to the tandem rear axles. If you get stopped at a weigh scale or by a Commercial LEO and they cite you for not having permits then the fines could put a nice dent in your wallet. I got hit for lack of permits in NC and the fine was almost $600. Each state is different as some states don't require permits if the vehicle is for personal use, but some states do. That is why you need to check with each state separately.

Anyhow, good luck with the trip and hope all goes well for you.

Ruppster

Last edited:

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Go ahead and do a search for "How big of tire can I put on my truck" I'm sure your headed there

akguy

I think someone is having a good laugh...........on us!!!!!!!!! Seriously, you purchase something like this truck and have no real info on how to drive it? Hmmmm......reminds me of a relative i have. Don't think ahead, Just jump right in to the pool............uh oh..........it was the shark pool at the local Sea World.

Just my 2 cents

Hello welcome to the site. READ...READ...READ those TMs to bad you could not prepare for this trip better.Check every thing that is made out of rubber, check all fluids and check for leaks anywhere and everywhere. Keep you thumbs out side steering wheel as already said keep good following distance. good luck keep us posted.:grin:

OH and bring extra filters

Last edited:

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think someone is having a good laugh...........on us!!!!!!!!! Seriously, you purchase something like this truck and have no real info on how to drive it? Hmmmm......reminds me of a relative i have. Don't think ahead, Just jump right in to the pool............uh oh..........it was the shark pool at the local Sea World.

Just my 2 cents
I agree and that was my first thought too when I first read the question. But I am giving the OP the benefit of the doubt for the moment and treating it as a legit question till I see any thing that proves otherwise. :)

Ruppster

Hey Ruppster what was that following distance rule that you posted somewhere else. well if it was you that posted it, it was some thing like 2,6,1 two second something...one second before staring after person in front started, or something like that.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Since all the other questions seems to be asked, my only question is CAN YOU DRIVE A STICK SHIFT

Is the seller a SSer

Hope things work out for you, and a easy , no problem trip

Last edited:

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Ruppster what was that following distance rule that you posted somewhere else. well if it was you that posted it, it was some thing like 2,6,1 two second something...one second before staring after person in front started, or something like that.

Sorry, wasn't me. But here's a link to a CDL manual that has the info. It's on page 12 of the manual (page 18 of the PDF file). Section 2.7 - Managing Space.

http://www.dmv.org/fl-florida/cdl-handbook.pdf

Ruppster

akguy

"Oh my god......you mean deuces aren't automatic's??"

sorry, i will be nice now. Wife is reading previous post's......darn, she just found mine. gotta go!!!!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks