• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Inexpensive camper/utiliy box for m35a2

budman67

Depends on State/territory

ND is 10' without permits, and 13'6" high.

That is nice to have,but the trailer would be limited to that
State.This would make out of State trips cost prohibitive due
to the permits needed.If one built to the limit of all States,
then they could save themselves the hassles from LEO
because they didn't know.

I didn't want to come across as mean,just looking out for
you guys.:cool:

andyindy

As far as a SHTF bug out deuce, besides the obvious fuel, oil, filters, ect, what else do you need to maintain the deuce in a 100% isolated environment ? I'm thinking 105 x 2 for fuel,tools, ect. and other supplies. Already have the 2 105's and hitch for lead trailer. Where is the cutoff? How much is practical? Andy....

unclemikey

Is there a cut off? I didn't get that memo! I am thinking down the same road you are. The trailer should be able to carry are the gear it can, maybe a bit more. The bigger the trailer the better, as long as it does become it own problem with to much weight. The path I am on the Deuce carries the lion share of the fuel and the trailer carries the gear. The way mine stands right now, the truck carries 175 gal in fuel tanks and 14 mounted jerry cans , total of 245 gal. The trailer carries 3 mounted jerry cans, and a 30 gal reserve tank, total of 45 gal. Over all that is 290 gal. If you get 8 MPG that would be 2320 miles. If you can get 9 MPG, that would give you 2610 miles. That should get you far enough out the path of whatever :tin hat: Maybe it will even get you to where you want to be in a polar shift. rofl

Now to be fair, some of the tanks will be used for gas to supply the generator and motorcycle. At least one jerry can will hold white gas. SO......is this Nuts :cookoo: You bet! Overkill is a good thing.

yolner

As far as a SHTF bug out deuce, besides the obvious fuel, oil, filters, ect, what else do you need to maintain the deuce in a 100% isolated environment ? I'm thinking 105 x 2 for fuel,tools, ect. and other supplies. Already have the 2 105's and hitch for lead trailer. Where is the cutoff? How much is practical? Andy....
I don't see the deuce being very practical in the zombie apocalypse scenario no matter what you do to it. It's loud, big, and not armored. The zombies would hear you coming from miles away and one shot to the radiator is all it really takes to end your trip... People always talk about bugging out, but it seems like the worst strategy imaginable to me. Fortify your position and wait until the zombies starve after eating everyone elses brains.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMHO, the tow vehicle should be self-sufficient from the trailer in case abandonment of the trailer becomes a necessity, or for setting up a base camp and then"scouting" or foraging expeditions ensue. Fuel and tools on the trailer ain't gonna help the truck unless they are together.

unclemikey

I don't see the deuce being very practical in the zombie apocalypse scenario no matter what you do to it. It's loud, big, and not armored. The zombies would hear you coming from miles away and one shot to the radiator is all it really takes to end your trip... People always talk about bugging out, but it seems like the worst strategy imaginable to me. Fortify your position and wait until the zombies starve after eating everyone elses brains.

In many cases that would be correct. But it depends as to where you are to start with. What fits one, will not work for all. If you are in the open country you can bug out without much risk. If you dig in, you have now become a sitting target. If you are in the city, you are most likey lost already. Hopefully, the test will never be reguired. Where ever you are, however you have planned, best of luck to you.

Last edited:

oldMan99

If you look at all the wars throughout history a fixed position can almost always be taken. "Shelter in place" does certainly have it's place and in many cases a lot of merit but you also need an evacuation/go mobile plan. I am assuming this conversation is all about the evac/mobile segment of the plan.

On another note, I have to agree with Cold Warrior to a certain extent. If your tools and so forth are in a trailer and for whatever reason your truck and trailer are not in the same place at the same time, whatever is in the trailer is useless. On the other hand, it may become imperative/desirable to drop the the trailer on short notice and depart the area never to return.

Loading primary tools, food and other items in the truck and carrying more of the same and secondary items in the trailer seems to be a sound plan.

Of course if you are traveling with more than 1 motorized vehicle in your "Convoy" you should insure that no one vehicle has ALL of the ..... whatever. Just in case that vehicle is left, captured, destroyed, eaten by zombies or whatever.

Somebody mentioned 2 M105 trailers. I assume this is to be towed in tandem? In many states this is not legal. It is all but impossible to back up and I can only see it as a real pain in any sort of off highway (trail) situation. Maybe instead just a single larger trailer? Maybe use a spare Deuce bed and build a trailer that uses the same tires/wheels as the towing vehicle? Or a M109 box if the tow vehicle can haul the weight.

Uncle Mikey, a range of 2,500 to 3,000 miles sounds about right to me. That is enough to get you from Los Angeles to NewYork. If that does not A: Get you well out of the path of the trouble, or B: Get you to a safe haven, you have some real serious problems to deal with.

Just some thoughts that you may or may not find useful. [thumbzup]

Last edited:

unclemikey

Gotten a bit far away from Inexpensive Campers, ( Da** Zombies do that to you ). A commit on the pop up camper on a trailer or truck. A buddy of mine and I played with a idea I like, but the inexpensive part would not apply. We had been looking at a hard side pop up trailer camper. The thought was to remove the under carriage and mount the unit on the back of a bridge truck drop side. It would have a low profile for travel down the road. The thought was to mount the unit on a pivot system, that when stopped, you could spin the unit 90 degrees. This would allow the side pop-outs to be deployed and the roof to be extended up. It would be a very large camper and yet fold up easy to the trunk bed. Just a fun though. 2cents

budman67

OK,I have to ask now as I don't get it:-( What is this Zombie thing
everyone goes on about? I saw a movie back in the 80's about
them,but I am thinking you mean something else.:cookoo:

yolner

Zombies is a code word for the Canadian invasion of the US. Shhh don't tell the Canadians we know.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Zombies is a code word for the Canadian invasion of the US. Shhh don't tell the Canadians we know.

:funny:----------:funny:----------:funny:

Zombies is ZOMBIES.... no real "code" about it. All those zombie movies are actually "TRAINING FILMS" for the Zombie Apocalypse :!:;)

The original poster has been very busy lately and has not had much time to work on the truck. He has just finished painting the camper and drove the truck home for the first time since starting this thread.

But apparently painting a camper will make turn signals and brake lights inoperative.

Guess what he will be doing this Saturday.

Thanks for the interest

John

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks