• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Getting Deuce from Georgia with no Title or SF-97 back to Louisiana

Armada

Does LA have an 'application for title' option? No sf97 needed, just related vehicle info required and they do a vin # search to make sure it is not stolen, etc. If it checks out ok, they will issue a title.

Zack

I live in Augusta ga.. I do not have my deuce in my possession yet.. Waiting on my euc.. I have called my tag office and they told me i just need my invoice which should they will concider my bill of sale.. And the lady i spoke to told me i should have no problems getting a tag and TITLE... I sure hope she is correct.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guys, just remember:

Times are a Changing.

What worked yesterday or today may not work tomorrow. many States are looking for additional cash and are changing laws left and right.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went ahead and got my SF97. Made getting a title for the 1973 5 ton a LOT easier. SC took my money and 10 days later I had a title in hand.

I would either buy a vehicle that had clean paperwork, make the owner of the vehicle get clean paperwork, or make the owner knock the price done alot to compemsate for my truble to get clean paperwork :mrgreen:

H

Hank.

It didn't help that today LA DMV told me I only needed insurance, bill of sale, and a copy of the current owner's registration from Georgia. It's like each teller interprets the rules their own way.

What to do...

derrickd95

Ok I dont know about Louisiana but here in oregon you can go to the dmv and get a lien packet then file for a storage lien or mechanic lien and wait the allotted time then foreclose on the lien and have the tile transferred to you. Or have the seller do it and make him deal with the headache of paperwork.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
hank there are about 6 dueces locally that are for sale.. is it the price on that duece that makes if worth all the hassle. shout back my way if you want some numbers for those trucks [thumbzup]

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All states are different with their laws. The only ones that matter are what YOUR DMV says TODAY. How they did it last year may of changed.

Honestly, with all the deuces out there for private and GL sale, I'd find one closer with paperwork and avoid the headaches.

3dAngus

I live in Augusta ga.. I do not have my deuce in my possession yet.. Waiting on my euc.. I have called my tag office and they told me i just need my invoice which should they will concider my bill of sale.. And the lady i spoke to told me i should have no problems getting a tag and TITLE... I sure hope she is correct.
Zack, would that by chance be a M35A3?
No problems getting a tag, but title might be different if older than 20 or 25 years. (I keep forgetting)

And Hank, sounds like your problem is solved with the registration transfer. Someone else mentioned this earlier, and it is the weay we do it in Georgia. ie, xfer the registration, where it is already recorded in the state DMV.

Last edited:

rlwm211

I would request the seller register the truck and then sell the truck to you with the GA paperwork. That should satisfy the LA motor vehicle folks. It would be no different than buying a pickup truck the same way that was the same vintage.

RL

Defensive Armament

Zack, would that by chance be a M35A3?
No problems getting a tag, but title might be different if older than 20 or 25 years. (I keep forgetting)

And Hank, sounds like your problem is solved with the registration transfer. Someone else mentioned this earlier, and it is the weay we do it in Georgia. ie, xfer the registration, where it is already recorded in the state DMV.
I've got a GA title for my 69 M35A2.......just sayin.

H

Hank.

Thanks for all of the comments in this thread. The previous owner has requested the SF-97 from GL. A Georgia title will be generated and signed over to me.

derby

I don't know if this has been coverd yet, I only skimmed through the posts. I bought an 81' Mercedes from a guy in Ga. with no title. they don't issue them on cars that old. I went to my DMV with purchase reciept and previous owners name and address and was issued a Mi title. They just did a background check on it to make shure it was ligit. But that is Mi. I would think this is common with old cars from Ga? this was last year

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is simple. I've bought many MV's in GA and sold them out of state. GA will NOT issue a title pre 1986 if it has not been titled before. They will issue a title if the vehicle was previously issued a title (say from another state). They will require a bill of sale and a police officer to inspect the vin with proof of insurance before they register it. All you in LA will need is a bill of sale and a copy of his GA registration. LA will know GA doesn't issue pre-86 titles and will issue you one with the bill of sale and registration. Simple/done.[thumbzup]

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
hndrsonj is 1000% correct. i have done this sevaral times without any issues. BTW. i'm the guy who originally had the truck in question.

Defensive Armament

This is simple. I've bought many MV's in GA and sold them out of state. GA will NOT issue a title pre 1986 if it has not been titled before. They will issue a title if the vehicle was previously issued a title (say from another state). They will require a bill of sale and a police officer to inspect the vin with proof of insurance before they register it. All you in LA will need is a bill of sale and a copy of his GA registration. LA will know GA doesn't issue pre-86 titles and will issue you one with the bill of sale and registration. Simple/done.[thumbzup]
That explains why I have a title for my 69' M35. It was bought from Florida and had a Florida title previously.

3dAngus

Good grief.
That was three years ago. I imagine he made up his mind by now.
And I'm sure he has a Louisiana title on that Georgia truck that never had one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks