• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What can a Multi-fuel run?

abh3

I've run Nuto H32 hydraulic oil and WMO strained to 5 microns but it's been suggested that these and others may have additives or contaminants (anti-foaming, detergents, anti-corrosion, suspended metals, acids, etc) that could cause long-term issues, not that I've seen any yet.

Funny but the only IP failures I've had with the multi have been on the fuel that came in the truck right off the base. That OLD diesel with a 'waxy feel' to it just isn't good, my bad. I've got two behind the barn right now that suffered this fate within days of one another... :oops:

The A3 gets only the finest of on-road, 100% legal taxed and fresh diesel!

destroked

Far too new here to be any kind of worthy source to believe, but I've been around diesels nearly all my life. My dad was a track mechanic in the Army, (Vietnam era). (Which is why I went Navy and then USAF for myself)

Filtering is the primary pass fail point of anything you use. Road diesel can cause just as many problems as old motor oil or gear oil if left to sit and seperate or collect water. The worst thing for an injection pump to live on is water and sludge. WMO if filtered to the level of a small micron filter is the minimum for me. I use an actual water seperator and a centrifuge to spin the metals and other contaminants out of it.

Vegetable based oils wil work, but if you run too high of a ratio of it, you risk varnishing the internals of the injection pump, (I've rebuilt enough to see it first hand, it is very hard to clean off the needles and internals. You won't see the effect in the short term, but if you repeatedly run it, it is going to build up and leave a very labor intensive repair ahead of you.

I deal primarily with Cummins B series engines, not a fan of Dodge, I discard the truck and keep the engines for something worthy of it, like a Super duty or a Jeep. (I currently have a 4BT powered super duty, alas the username destroked).

The biggest thing I've noticed over the years is, the older the engine design is, the more tolerant it is to various fuel types. The more engineers tighten things up and build electronics into the fuel systems, the higher the failure rate becomes. I've run old Perkins on black diesel for several harvest seasons without so much as a seal failure, part of the appeal of a dinosaur aged engine to me.

I stay away from synthetics, transmission fluid and anything ratio'ed more than 60% vegetable base. A close friend of mine has been running his P7100 pumped 5.9 Cummins on 50/50 diesel and WMO filtered with a centrifuge and 5 micron filter for 5 years now, the final fuel product he puts in the tank is spotless, so keep that in mind before you grab a pain strainer and think you've caught all the debris or sludge & water. Condensation effects any container with a vent.

A

A/C Cages

By the way, they also run on GIN
No joke, A buddy of mine makes all types of flavored GINs and one batch went bad. So he gave me the 30 gallon drum of it and I ran it thru mine very diluted but it ran great. I ran 25% GIN to 50% WVO to 25% Deisel. I never noticed a thing except for the funky smell out the stacks. lol

A

A/C Cages

I have 5 of the 55 gallon drums of Mineral Spirits here if you want to try that. lol

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would say I've ran near 7,000 miles on WMO filtered and cut with dsl fuel. No ill effects at all!

ryker725

My truck has "Diesel Only" stenciled above the tank. Does this mean that something was modified on the truck that would prevent me from running oils? The fuel tag in the cab is still there.

Mass Ownage

In an emergency situation I ran 85-140 gear oil because I was out of fuel and had 2.5 gallons of the gear oil in the tank. It took a bit to get everything primed, but it ran like a champ. Nearest station was about 5 miles away, added 10 gallons of diesel to get me home (where I filled up with WMO).

amaverick88

i know you can use cooking oil that is diluted with wmo but what about the peanut oil that is used for deep fryers like people like to use around the holidays to deep fry the turkeys. could the peanut oil be used as well as long as it is filtered enough?

Jimma

It should work. I am running used soybean oil that came from two area resturaunts. They were used for fish, chicken and french fries. I filter it and it works great. I put about 15 gallons of the wvo in my trucks tank this weekend, added about 2.5 gallons of filtered wmo and some gasoline as a thinner. This blended with whatever diesel I had in my tank at the time. I smell good going down the road.

amaverick88

sounds like a good idea hopefully i wont be attracting to many people to follow me since all my peanut oil was used to deep fry turkey. mmmmmm deep fried turkey.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Imported fuel is expensive. 30 Bucks for three gallons and 120 calories a tablespoon.
I don't know what that is in BTU or octane or cetane but I know it fires good in the multi-fuel.
Almost nothing on the coffee filter I used. This is going right in the tank.
This is free post-turkey fuel. The turkey sucked up a pint or two of it.

Last year I found out that after one dumps the peanut oil one can not store new motor oil in the plastic container, the NMO ate the plastic but it can hold peanut oil!

I don't know how much dimethylpolysiloxane (dimethicone) is in there but last year there was no effect that i could discern when constantly mixed and filtered with the "other" fuels. Maybe 2-1/2 gallons of PO mixed with 47 gallons of fuel, mostly NMO. I keep the tank full.

IMG_5403.jpgIMG_5404.jpgIMG_5405.jpgIMG_5408.jpgIMG_5409.jpgIMG_5410.jpgIMG_5411.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks