• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cummins 400 turbo boost and temp question

Autocar

I just got an M915A1 with a Cummins 400. I want to add boost and pyro gages but don't know what ranges to get. Is the 400 in vacuum at idle and what is the maximum boost that a stock 400 will see. Also, what is the max temp the exhaust should see?

oilburner

a diesel has no throttle plate to cause vacuum. The air inlet restriction will go up as the rpm and boost are rased due to air filter or piping restrictions between the air filter and the turbo. Cummins NTC 400 factory spec boost would max out at 21. Cummins used to say that any boost over 25 was overboost and caused more power loss to compress the air in cylinders that you gained. ( that is B.S.) so the boost gauge needs to be a 0 to 30 or so stock engine. you should find a 1/4 inch pipe plug fitting in the air crossover pipe between the turbo and the after cooler to screw the gauge line into. the only vacuum is between the air filter and turbo and the would be the air filter restriction gage.

Last edited:

roy jones

I use this rule on my big cam 3. No more than 3 minutes at 1350 degrees. this is with the probe in the down pipe coming out of the turbo I have a ht4b holset 35 plus pounds of boost

Coldfusion21

does one typically check EGT's before or after the turbo with a diesel?

I'd assume before, just like a gas engine but wasnt sure.

Obviously this is ideal, i know without some fab work its not always feasible to have the probe right where you want it.

Hammer

Ideally, before AND after.
Before the turbo really helps you keep from melting down the turbo.
After the turbo is what you should be reading to make sure you are cooling the turbo down properly.

And 1350 AFTER the turbo is WAY too hot!

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe one inch if possible from the head exhaust port. Piston will have problems before turbo. Would be nice to know hottest cylinder and place probe there if possible.

atvcat33

on my 818 i have the biggist turbo availible stock for a ntc 400 or 420 and i can only get 10 psi of boost now those are non cooled pistions and no intercooler and the truck never sees operating temperature, im sticking injecters and a fuel pump in it, then its time to watch the gauges. you can do crazy things to these motors as long as you watch the gauges, and as far as me running that ntc non turbo we took the turbo off that truck and swapped the parts fro mthe 818 to the international truck, just to see how it was different

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup, you can throw parts together and things will work just not correctly.

cornrichard

I am going to hazard a guess and say the rear most cylinder. I am not basing on experience. I just know that it is warmer back there and the pt pump feeds from the back off the head. Rear cylinder should get a little more fuel.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks