• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dually Conversion (For looks)

Seabee15

Did some researching, and I've got an itch to convert my M1008 to a Dually. I was figuring the easiest way to do the conversion is:

known items needed:
6 Chevy 8 lug Dually Wheels
Rear Fenders

Items in question:
Front: Would D60 Dually Hubs be sufficient to correct the offset?
Rear: Seeing that its not a DRW axle, I've been told you can mount the both dually wheels to the Wheel mounting surface and it will clear, and you'd need the big bertha fenders to cover the wheels... Is this true????

This is just for looks..not for increased towing/hauling capacity

Thanks!

original

Just buy the add on kit from JC whitney. They have cut to fit fenders and some type of add a wheel block(rims and tires not included). If its just for looks, youll regret it. Tire prices are still on the rise and you will have less traction in the snow. I personally don't like it, but a set of wide rims with added wheel spacers would give a similiar look.

original

I have a set of wide aluminum billet hole style rims that would fit. I don't remember the exact width of the rims, but they are much wider than stock and to wide for my taste. If your interested send me a PM.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Go on Ebay for the wheels. I got a second spare a year ago for my M1028A3 for about $75 shipped if my memory serves. Just look for a mid 80's Chevy/GM dually. That will get you the wheels. IF you want ALL EIGHT of them, I might have a guy with a set. But ONLY if you want.

And JC Whitney? Good to know. I don't need one NOW, but you never know.

TGP (IL)

A few things to ponder.
Yes you have to change the front hubs on the D60 to mount the 'Budd" style wheels.
Easier said than done because there hard to find. The rest of the axle is the same.
The rear used a Dana 70HD instead of the corporate axle.
The Dana 70 is also wider(wheel to wheel) to fill the fender flares properly.
A conversion on a GM axle will look out of place under the wide rear fenders.
If you don't change the front you will need to carry two spares.
I have see numerous trucks over the years set up like that.
In fact some Dodge W300 just sold on GSA set up with Dual rears and original steel disk wheels up front.
Really looks out of place.
IMO.
It's very doable,just need tp locate all the parts.

Tom

rednckii

im in the process of gathering all the parts to do the same to my 1008 gonna run it on 6 37" hummvee tires though need to get the front dually hubs and rear fenders already have the rims also if needed like me a spacer for the rear rims so tires dont rub eachother also a spacer so the rear rims will be tight to hub rims will hit it otherwise

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The military made a kit to convert an M1028 to a dually. I have seen the kit because a friend bought it online. They are rare...but they are out there. The kits actually come with a an axle, sway bar, spacers, seven rims, driver's side mirror, two fender flares, data plate (to indicate that the truck was converted to a dully) and other parts. I wish I would have bought a kit. The guy had a few more but I think they are gone because we (my friend and I) have checked.

rednckii

Its been a while but here i go put the dual hubs on, bought two inch spacers and viola. Monster cucv need to see about finding a set of dually fenders or going either flatbed or utility body. Running four 37 hummvy tires in rear and two of the new mtr's in front.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks