• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission Pan Question

Apoc Bane

Hello,

5-2 of the TM says:

NOTE
Transmission oil pans ridged lip will have
a transmission oil pan gasket (11).

Transmission oil pans (2) with a
flat lip will have RTV sealant.

I think I have a flat lip, so only RTV? I'm not sure.

When I removed the pan, there was a seal and RTV.

Transmission pan was leaking, hence the removal.

Thank you.

Last edited:

DXTAC

Mine was flat. It was leaking as well so I removed it and applied the RTV properly and 5,000 miles later no leaks from the pan. The front pump seal went south on me though so I decided to have the whole thing rebuilt. It's in getting done now and should be done by the weekend.

Buzz

20 years ago at Gm dealers, if you had a ribbed pan you used the hard black fiber type gasket, if you had a flat pan you used a cork gasket. Cork sucks, its not very durable. Whichever you go with wether Gasket or RTV I would torque the pan bolt to whatever specs the TM says 2cents

kassim503

Im sure the TM covers this, but it is ESSENTIAL that you torque the bolts in sequence to prevent any leaks later on.

Also, I would be really weary about using excess amounts of rtv on the pan of a transmission, with filters that have the same micron rating as my sliding door screen, they seem to be a bit touchy of having anything floating around in there.

Apoc Bane

Thank you for the responses.

The TM seems to make a distiction on wither you have a flat or a ridged pan.

I can't seem to tell wither mine is flat or ridge. I think it is flat. Which by the TM requires RTV not a gasket.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Does that look flat or ridged?

Apoc Bane

Im sure the TM covers this, but it is ESSENTIAL that you torque the bolts in sequence to prevent any leaks later on.

Also, I would be really weary about using excess amounts of rtv on the pan of a transmission, with filters that have the same micron rating as my sliding door screen, they seem to be a bit touchy of having anything floating around in there.
Thanks for the reminder to check.

"Install transmission oil pan (2) with 13 transmission oil pan screws (5). Evenly tighten screws to
125-160 lb.-in."

original

Also, I would be really weary about using excess amounts of rtv on the pan of a transmission, with filters that have the same micron rating as my sliding door screen, they seem to be a bit touchy of having anything floating around in there.[/QUOTE]

Use the gasket. Just a small amount of rtv can ruin a trannsmision. Use the gasket. It will seal.

Barrman

Another good thing to do on thin metal pans such as the trans and engine oil pan. Is to set them on a wood surface, put the round end of a ball peen hammer on each bolt hole and then hit it with another hammer. This flattens out the hole and will let the bolts actually hold the pan up as high as it is supposed to be.

Apoc Bane

Another good thing to do on thin metal pans such as the trans and engine oil pan. Is to set them on a wood surface, put the round end of a ball peen hammer on each bolt hole and then hit it with another hammer. This flattens out the hole and will let the bolts actually hold the pan up as high as it is supposed to be.
Thank you, that's good advice.

Barrman

I think that is way too tight. Yep, just looked in the -20. 125-160 INCH pounds. You did FOOT pounds didn't you? Goint that tight normally breaks all the bolts off and if they don't break, the pan is bent. Time to pull it back off, use my hammer trick listed above and put it back on looser.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just verifing.....Some people don't know the difference between ft/lbs and in/lbs

Sounds like the pan lip is bent.

Apoc Bane

When shopping for a new pan. Do I have to find one with a thm400 application listed, or will one that says th400 work? I kinda assume the pan is the same on the models, but you know what they say about assuming.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks