• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is the weirdest thing u saw on GL?

ke5eua

Its archaic, but turbochargers can be referred to as "turbosuperchargers."

And I've always understood that theres two types of superchargers - mechanical driven superchargers and exhaust driven superchargers. Exhaust driven superchargers are called turbochargers.

I kinda like the word "turbosupercharger." its fancy, like saying "whom, "athwart," "betwixt," and all the other highfalutin vernacular.
Turbo is generally considered anything that boost intake air pressure by means of exhaust gas. Supercharger, while do the same thing are belt driven. You will have some superchargers that look like a turbo but it is that way because it is a remote mount belt driven instead of directly on top of the intake manifold.

cbear

About a year ago they had ship anchors at OKC. Why the **** did they drag ship anchors to the middle of the country!?!

Anchor.jpg

Last edited:

dimitrisnowden

Umm you do know the m1070 het is both turbo and supercharged.
I love learning new things :)

And yes, you are correct but in the case of the Oshkosh relationship between turbo and supercharger is called 2-stage compression. A 2 stroke diesel and does not create any suction when the piston moves from TDC to bottom DTC because the exhaust valve is still open. The engine expels exhaust gas till after the BDC. There is a huge overlap and that is why a "supercharger" is required to move fresh air into the cylinder and expelling the exhaust gas with the increasing revolutions the pressure that the blower provides.

For the cummins CTA F2 series power plants in the 939 series trucks, the proper nomenclature would be "turbocharged after cooled" not turbo supercharged.

ke5eua

I was mainly referring to your comment: "This is hysterical as we all know you cannot have an engine both turbo charged AND supercharged...lol"

I used the HET as an example as it was military related. As far as the need for both, if you blow the turbo in a HETT fully loaded you will notice big time. We blew several turbos in Iraq in '04 and was able to limp them home.

If you do a youtube search for supercharged turbo you will see many cars and trucks that have both. Here is a video of a Ford 6.0 that has VGT turbo with a remote belt driven supercharger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd4-VoSJK0c

cbear

That would have made a great lawn ornament.
According to the article, 4 out of 7 did exactly that. The other two were put back in to use. See the article below.
Here's another one. http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=7634643

An Oklahoma liquidator's auction of seven Navy ship anchors invoked nostalgia for some, but other bidders just wanted a big ol' anchor.
All of the steel anchors, most weighing 35,000 pounds, sold — fetching $1,340 to $3,500 each. Three will remain in the state, to become yard art or decor at a marina. One is traveling to Florida for the centerpiece of an outdoor garden. Two will be seaworthy again with a new home in Massachusetts. None is headed to the scrap yard.

In one of its more unique auctions, Government Liquidation in Oklahoma City sold the anchors to individual buyers after purchasing them from the federal government.
Massachusetts resident Conrad Roy, who operates a marine salvage company, bought two. The anchors cost him $3,100 and $3,500 each, but transporting to the East Coast will cost nearly double that. Still, he says it was an opportunity he couldn't pass up.
“You can't find that many big anchors,” he said. “When you need 'em, they could be anywhere in the world.”
The average price for one is a dollar a pound, he said, so he considered his purchase a steal.
Another buyer, Scott Fischer, started bidding on a whim with the idea of displaying it at his marina on Lake Texoma.
“Once we get it, we're going to look into the history of the anchor,” said Fischer, who is president of Dippin' Dots and the son of Chaparral Energy CEO Mark Fischer.
Dennis Talkington, of Verden, bought one of the anchors because it reminds him of the time he served in the Navy from 1968 to 1972. He plans to build a concrete platform and display it upright in his yard. He lives in the country, with the closest neighbor a quarter-mile away.
The anchor itself cost $2,800, but it will cost another $2,500-2,800 to transport it, he said.
“This thing is going to be a money pit before I get it home,” he said.
Other buyers include William Nadeau, who plans to display his anchor in a garden outside his home in White Springs, Fla., along with an anchor chain from the USS America he purchased several years ago.
Cindy Hicks, a banker in Norman, will keep one on her farm along with a collection of old tractors and machinery. Both of her grandfathers served in the Navy during World War II.
The destination for the seventh, a smaller anchor weighing about 2,800 pounds, is unknown.

Last edited:

ke5eua

According to the article, 4 out of 7 did exactly that. The other two were put back in to use. See the article below.
Here's another one. http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=7634643

An Oklahoma liquidator's auction of seven Navy ship anchors invoked nostalgia for some, but other bidders just wanted a big ol' anchor.
All of the steel anchors, most weighing 35,000 pounds, sold — fetching $1,340 to $3,500 each. Three will remain in the state, to become yard art or decor at a marina. One is traveling to Florida for the centerpiece of an outdoor garden. Two will be seaworthy again with a new home in Massachusetts. None is headed to the scrap yard.

In one of its more unique auctions, Government Liquidation in Oklahoma City sold the anchors to individual buyers after purchasing them from the federal government.
Massachusetts resident Conrad Roy, who operates a marine salvage company, bought two. The anchors cost him $3,100 and $3,500 each, but transporting to the East Coast will cost nearly double that. Still, he says it was an opportunity he couldn't pass up.
“You can't find that many big anchors,” he said. “When you need 'em, they could be anywhere in the world.”
The average price for one is a dollar a pound, he said, so he considered his purchase a steal.
Another buyer, Scott Fischer, started bidding on a whim with the idea of displaying it at his marina on Lake Texoma.
“Once we get it, we're going to look into the history of the anchor,” said Fischer, who is president of Dippin' Dots and the son of Chaparral Energy CEO Mark Fischer.
Dennis Talkington, of Verden, bought one of the anchors because it reminds him of the time he served in the Navy from 1968 to 1972. He plans to build a concrete platform and display it upright in his yard. He lives in the country, with the closest neighbor a quarter-mile away.
The anchor itself cost $2,800, but it will cost another $2,500-2,800 to transport it, he said.
“This thing is going to be a money pit before I get it home,” he said.
Other buyers include William Nadeau, who plans to display his anchor in a garden outside his home in White Springs, Fla., along with an anchor chain from the USS America he purchased several years ago.
Cindy Hicks, a banker in Norman, will keep one on her farm along with a collection of old tractors and machinery. Both of her grandfathers served in the Navy during World War II.
The destination for the seventh, a smaller anchor weighing about 2,800 pounds, is unknown.
Going through my facebook pics I remembered I saw this in a truck stop my last trip.

November 2nd, 2014 at the Pilot in Holbrook, AZ

anchors.jpg

birddog1148

Years ago I saw an Autopsy table listed on there. Told my dad and brothers and they thought it would be a great fish cleaning table for the cabin. Looked like it still had some hair in the drain. Missed it by the time they thought I should bid.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
cbear not just a ships anchor but a submarine anchor! fluke.jpg As a former "Bubble Head" and MV owner that would have made a great E brake for my M818!

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
There wasn't an internet back then in the early70's. All the fire control was analog the first digital computer we had on the boat was an ESM IBM 3277 index.jpg ( I think) that let you know what kind of radar was trying to get a lock on you!

Now:derailed:

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks