• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I'm Confused M1028,A2,A3????

mynewtoy

OK after reading as many posts as I could find I'm not sure what I have.I thought my truck was a M1028A2. Here's some info if any body can help.I'll start at the front - on the front bumper are painted two different letter number combos looking at the truck on the left of the bumper I can make out the letters ASOC?? on the right of the bumper is A231A,Both front fenders say TP45 On the door jam is the typical info plate : Curb Weight 5800
Pay Load Max. 3600
Gross Vech. weight 9400
Make & Model CD-30903
Stock #2320-01-127-5077
Date Of Mfg. 02/86
Registration #NG1YM6
There's no modification plate saying it was converted to an A2 or A3 there is a CUCV-CARGO Shelter Carrier M1028 Shipping Data Plate on the drivers side door. Also on the inside of both doors is the same # as the registration # on the plate NG1YM6. On the rear bumper is A2. It is a 1 Ton Daully with a front and REAR sway bar.When I bought it the guy I bought it from said he bought it as a cab and chassis but he put a pick-up truck box on it thinking it would sell quicker like that [If you would like to see pictures of my truck look in the classifieds he's selling his other truck and used my pictures until his PIcs. are ready] The back bumper sticks out farther than the pickup box and has two square cuts one on each side where something fit into or the bumper went around there's also a huge nut [receiver] welded to what looks like an extension of the rear frame I think this is where something was anchored.I know this is a lot of info but I thought this might help figure this out . ANY TAKERS!!!!!!! THANKS IN ADVANCE

mynewtoy

That's the one thing I left out it has the 208 if it's an A3 What was on the back of it? Why no conversion plate was it built at the factory this way? [Rear sway bar] Are these any more rare than an A2?

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
go to the 2011 vin info thread follow instructions you can find the history of the truck if it came from the army

Mcothran

I've done some research and still not finding what I'm looking for. I recently bought a m1028. I've not picked it up yet but was curious if the Vin would tell me what tcase is in it or if it was an a1. Maybe I'm over looking something. TIA

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've done some research and still not finding what I'm looking for. I recently bought a m1028. I've not picked it up yet but was curious if the Vin would tell me what tcase is in it or if it was an a1. Maybe I'm over looking something. TIA
Your not going to get that information from the V.I.N , this is what you can get from the V.I.N.
[h=1]Decoding CUCV Vin numbers[/h]

Guyfang

Staff member
Dude,

look ok at the NSN on the data plate. Look at the cover of the TM. Find the same NSN on the cover. THAT NSN next to the model number, is YOUR truck. Someone may have added things to it, but THAT is your truck. When you know what model truck you have, then the parts TM will tell you what tease is in your truck.

Mcothran

Dude,

look ok at the NSN on the data plate. Look at the cover of the TM. Find the same NSN on the cover. THAT NSN next to the model number, is YOUR truck. Someone may have added things to it, but THAT is your truck. When you know what model truck you have, then the parts TM will tell you what tease is in your truck.
I bought the truck from a gov auction, cheap. I go to pick it up this week. I was just curious if I could look up a build sheet based on the Vin I have to tell me if it was a 205 or 208. No problem either way but a 205 would sweeten the deal.

swinters

Is it a dually or does it have singles in the rear? The main differences between the regular pickup, the M1008, and the shelter carrier, the M1028, are that the front differential is a locking differential (M1008's aren't) and it has a shelter tie-down kit attached to the bed. There are a few other minor differences, like a grommeted hole in the front of the floor of the bed to route power to the shelter, but the locking front differential and the tie-downs are the biggies. Is the data plate missing from the driver's side door post?

Mcothran

Is it a dually or does it have singles in the rear? The main differences between the regular pickup, the M1008, and the shelter carrier, the M1028, are that the front differential is a locking differential (M1008's aren't) and it has a shelter tie-down kit attached to the bed. There are a few other minor differences, like a grommeted hole in the front of the floor of the bed to route power to the shelter, but the locking front differential and the tie-downs are the biggies. Is the data plate missing from the driver's side door post?
I haven't picked it up yet.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea the VIN won't tell you anything. If you can post some pics from the auction we can help you pretty easy

swinters

limited slip HUGE difference. The rears lock, the fronts do not.
Yup - Dana limited slip if I remember right. I should have used the right term but that wasn't my point. The point was that this was the only pickup version that came from the factory with other than a regular differential up front.

Mcothran

Picked it up Monday from ABAC in Tifton, GA. Hoping for a 205 but got a 208 instead. Got it home and tried to turn it over but has a horrible grinding noise at the starter. I'm waiting on a bracket to come in- hopefully that's all it needs. The bendix and flywheel seemed to be in good shape.

cucvrus

I doubt the starter and flex-plate are in good shape. What do you think is grinding? If it done it for you it done it for someone else for 6 months before they decided it won't go no more and parked it. Easy thing is you can change the flex-plate $65. and starter $150 +/- with out removing the transmission and transfer case. Get some 3/8" x 4" grade 8 bolts and slide the cross member and transmission transfer case assembly back and change the flex-plate. After you remove the drive shafts. Change the starter bolts. I never seen one that just needed a support bracket after grinding/milling. It was a common issue if you were not tentative of the sounds the starter makes when loose or on its way out. Good Luck and have a Great Day. Its a simple task. Do it right the first time and never look back. Do it half fast and do it over and over.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks