• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fan Belt Commercial Equivalent for the MEP-006A, 60 kW?

donald_r

Is there a commercial equivalent for the belt numbers on the MEP-006A, 60 kW genset?
I just bought one from Uncle Sam, missing the 2 matched fan/water pump belts, and the 24V alternator belt. I have not yet located a cross reference while searching Steel Solders or Google

Mil numbers are:

MSS106752 Matched Set
MS51066 Alternator

The engine runs, but no power generation yet.
Got my fingers crossed.

Don.

Isaac-1

I don't know an answer for you on this one, but I suggest calling the people at illiniparts.com as they are great to deal with when it comes to any Allis Chalmers industrial engine parts need. They will probably need the engine model number and serial number off your engine, and should be able to look up how it was configured when it left the factory. They have been very helpful with finding parts for my Allis Chalmers powered Onan 125 KW DYD generator. On a side note my Onan DYD uses a very unusual size fan belt, apparently most popularly used on 1970's and 80's vintage BlueBird school buses, the only place I found that could get it locally was Oriely Autoparts.

Ike

p.s. the alternator belt should be trivial to find since you just need to match belt pitch and any length within a fairly large ballpark should work.

Last edited:

PeterD

For my MEP-004, I took the numbers in the parts reference and plugged them into the CarQuest cross-reference that I have access to. One matched up just fine, description even said belt for a generator set! Add to that it was in stock at the local store...

That would be where I'd start, were I you--check the parts reference, and see if there are some 'industry standard' numbers there in the info.

donald_r

PeterD,

Can you look in
the CarQuest cross-reference that you have access to and see what it says?

MSS106752 Matched Set
MS51066 Alternator

Thanks!

PeterD

No hits on those numbers, what other numbers are listed in the parts book? If you can, copy and paste the entire listing in the book for both... It was not the main number that cross-referenced for me, but one of the other numbers.

PeterD

OK, for #4 (alt), the CarQuest number is probably 9476HD. For #1 (fan), it may be 6752. In both cases you may have a match, or they may be way off! If they are way off, return them. BTW, the 'matched' set you may have to simply get two and hope they are close enough.

Of course, being that this is a cross-reference of a very common set of numbers, both may be totally wrong... Without trying one never knows.

Good luck, hope this helps!

I can only search locations in New England, but there are some at the Armonk NY warehouse, but that doesn't help you.

bimota

OK, for #4 (alt), the CarQuest number is probably 9476HD. For #1 (fan), it may be 6752. In both cases you may have a match, or they may be way off! If they are way off, return them. BTW, the 'matched' set you may have to simply get two and hope they are close enough.

Of course, being that this is a cross-reference of a very common set of numbers, both may be totally wrong... Without trying one never knows.

Good luck, hope this helps!

I can only search locations in New England, but there are some at the Armonk NY warehouse, but that doesn't help you.
Anyone verify a water pump yet for the MEP-006? We really need to get this info out - I just lost one and need to find as well.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do NOT cross post.

bimota

Wow, I guess SS is failing here in helping with real world problems. I keep forgetting this is a hobby site not a professional site! Anyway, since SS is not getting the job done best we move to other sites like Smoketack or any other suggestions. When you need heavy lifting problem solving and you want to leverage the vast knowledge of the web - where do you go?

Worse, when you have a lot to offer in helping others in real need - then where do you go?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where ever you choose to go, you will get the best results if you use the forums correctly(and follow the rules).

You never looked up the NSN and posted it(in the other thread). If you took that effort, I was going to try to find an equivalent for you.

You failed to help me help you.

bimota

I want to appreciate the offers to help but the generator is in the field at a remote site without skilled people available. Like a remote military base and the General wants the unit fixed now since there is incoming and asked me the (Lieutenant) who is located at another base to get the privates to change the fan belt. A private can change a fan belt but I can't ask the General or even the Sergeant to go pull up numbers (or we'll all get reassigned to Afghanistan) so I need the Private to drive to a local Napa and buy a belt.

The NSN number don't cross, that was tried in this post. I'll pull them anyway since you offered to try (thanks)

Matched set: NSN 3030-00-832-4323

How do the Wiki's get built? The 002 and 003 units have a Wiki but the 004, 005, 006 are common and have much larger issues generally and greater challenges fixing them. I'd be supportive and offer lots of help to contribute to a Wiki for these larger units. We actually put them in the field as machines to do work - that can be challenging - running a 25 year old machine as it was designed

More on V-belt matched set - MEP-006 - taken from -24 manuel:

National Item [COLOR=#1B8EDE !important]Identification Number[/COLOR]
00-832-4323
3030-00-832-4323
[COLOR=#1B8EDE !important]National Stock Number[/COLOR]
Item Name
BELTS,V,MATCHED SET
Federal Supply Class

bimota

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!

Per the link:

[h=2]3030-00-832-4323 Manufacturer[/h]
MFG SKUCAGEManufacturerTypeStatusRole
4-854220796Dayco Corp.AA
MS51067C53-220796Dayco Corp.AA
22534-267384For NSN AssignmentAA
MS51067-53-296906Military StandardsAM
243604R1189346Navistar Intl Corp.AA
359015C9192679Navistar Intl Corp.AA
Sure wish I could have avoided the several well intended advice about "taking a piece of rope and measuring the length of the old belt and ......"

I've not had a chance to get to Napa on these but it looks promising!

Thanks, Sangha Energy.org

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Using the MS number, I found them on ebay, NOS, 4 belts for less than $30 shipped.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To answer your question on how the Wikis and Stickies get built is that the general membership see a need, find the info and the post the info. Then they ask the moderators to add the info to the Wikis or make them stickies.

They do not get built by waiting for someone else to do it for them.

Before I was invited to be a moderator I wrote many "how to's" for the CUCVs and some for the Deuce. Now many of them are stickies and are refered to on a daily basis.

mclarkva

this is an old thread but i found it today when i broke an alternator belt during a heat wave generating over 85% to keep the farm cool and had the same question - so I have a few updates and easy links:

Carquest Dayco ADVANCE aUTO PARTS 17470 is the automotive emergency replacement for Alternator belt

Better quality is Gates 9470HD HD V-Belt - Amazon link https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CRHLZS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 these GATES HD green backed belts really hold up in high load and high heat
Oreilly link https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...a2074ac/gates-fleetrunner-belt/9470hd/4322605

9470HD.jpg

As far as the Fan Cooling matched belts I am working on a better source for them but ebay has a few Dayco Matched Pair Belts, P/N: 5-8189, 11/16 x 52.3 ExL, 3030-00-257-0727 the key is the size and the Dayco 5-8189 part no.

s-l1600.jpg

...these seem a bit different from links and posts provided prior but these are the belts on my Mep006a ( KurtzRoot MFG alt ) which I have had to bits a few times and actually put in new sleeves and rebuilt the head last year when wet sleeves bad orings leaked coolant into the oil and rusted out the valve springs! She was a Navy unit and had some salt spray damage to the radiator for which i had to have a custom made recore. Been into the electronics replacing diodes and voltage regulators - cool old transistors and radiation hardened circuits but obsolete parts hard to find. Working on auto start system to play with my big transfer switch.

It is a beast and cranks out the power and is our full farm 3 phase standby- we even taught it to play nice with our gridtie solar system and we can make 60kW diesel and 20kW solar at the same time.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks