• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is This The Correct Bed For My Truck?

66Reo6X6

Hey guys,
I have a 1941 Chevy G506? that needs the correct bed. At some point in time the frame was lengthened and a flat bed was installed. The frame can be shortened to its original length without too much trouble.
Have been looking for the correct bed and found the one pictured, it is 147" long and 86 1/2" wide. Will it work for my chevy?
Thanks in advance for the help.

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is the late war "composite" bed for the GMC CCKW and Studebaker US-6. Won't fit your Chevy, but there are lots of people looking for that bed, me included.

paulfarber

Actually, the 'Late War' beds were all steel, but bolted, not welded together.

From start to finish:

All steel, welded <- Early
All Wooden <-early/Mid
Composite <-Mid/Late
All Steel, bolted <- Late

The easiest 'Tell' for a Chevy bed is that there is a very pronounced ledge that extends way past the stake pcokets, and the rear has support gussets that form a trainagle.

Google G-506 bed and take a look

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually, the 'Late War' beds were all steel, but bolted, not welded together.

From start to finish:

All steel, welded <- Early
All Wooden <-early/Mid
Composite <-Mid/Late
All Steel, bolted <- Late
Can you post a pic of the all steel bolted bed? I need to live and learn about that bed which I have never heard of. Thanks.

paulfarber

I find it funny that you could not google it yourself... you would rather 'challenge' me than do any sort of basic research.

Additionally, not sure if I'm more offended by your lack of trust in my information (would I make it up?) or that you could not spend 30 seconds to type in 'cckw late war bed' and get this http://www.cckw.org/pdf/CCKW_Part_8.pdf as the fourth hit. IIRC the photo in the article is from either a TM or Army Motors.. I can't place it from memory.

Enjoy the information. If you need anything else, please ask.

I have not personally seen any, and I think getting a picture of one properly marked and dated (aka a signal corps photo ) would be difficult. Externally they look exactly like composite beds, and restored trucks seldom have the original/proper bed on them.

Last edited:

swordmd

The pics that Schwenk Industries put on the thread look like a nice mid war truck but the bed is a early war bed look at the cast hooks and rear tail gate. A good one for your 41 G506

paulfarber

If you have the time and a press brake, a guy actually MADE his G506 bed from scratch.

tm9-801.com • View topic - I built my own cargo bed

I remember a guy posted on g503 that he made a wooden bed, but it cost him $10,000 (!) or some ridiculously high number.

I have a wooden bed and composite for my CCKW to rebuild. Should be fun. Oak is not too expensive :)

As for the G506 beds... don't know.

Wayofftrack

For future reference the easiest way to spot the bed for the Chevy is the rear outside gussets are angled and not vertical. Well the cckw has a slight angle but the chevy is much more obvious.

I really like the Chevy wrecker. Sweet.

Last edited:

paulfarber

For future reference the easiest way to spot the bed for the Chevy is the rear outside gussets are angled and not vertical. Well the cckw has a slight angle but the chevy is much more obvious.

I really like the Chevy wrecker. Sweet.
Read post #4.

The extended bed sill is also a big tell. On a CCKW bed it maybe an inch. On a G506 is much larger.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I find it funny that you could not google it yourself... you would rather 'challenge' me than do any sort of basic research.

Additionally, not sure if I'm more offended by your lack of trust in my information (would I make it up?) or that you could not spend 30 seconds to type in 'cckw late war bed' and get this http://www.cckw.org/pdf/CCKW_Part_8.pdf as the fourth hit. IIRC the photo in the article is from either a TM or Army Motors.. I can't place it from memory.

Enjoy the information. If you need anything else, please ask.

I have not personally seen any, and I think getting a picture of one properly marked and dated (aka a signal corps photo ) would be difficult. Externally they look exactly like composite beds, and restored trucks seldom have the original/proper bed on them.

Paul, I DID visit the CCKW website and search for this information, and even though I read Bryce's "Why a Jimmy" articles back in the 80's, I did not remember that single page showing the all-steel composite bed. I, like yourself, have studied CCKWs since my introduction to them in 1983 and I have still never seen an all steel composite bed. Could it be that they were a concept that never got off the ground? Again, do not take this question as a challenge to your integrity! I would just like to know for sure, because I would love to have one of these beds!

paulfarber

I'm just really good at remembering things. I read those Sunderlan articles and some Army Motors (the originals) and remembered that there was a bolted together steel body.

The Sunderlan articles, while good, suffer from the most common error of 'user submitted' research. They fail to cite the source. I blame the MVPA for allowing uncited articles, but their job is to sell memberships, not restore MVs. When Mr. Sunderlan posts about a change, some supporting documentation would have been nice. At best we get frame or engine SNs or a month. Some changes are specifically called out.. they are the exception, not the rule.

Those articles are what, 15-20 years old? It would be great if the author could re-visit his articles and post the proper cites for verification, but I doubt it will ever happen. I've done my best to research what I can (I just completed some pretty decent engine decal work and have reproductions in the works). Whats great is that I got excellent help from guys in the UK, AU, and USA... so there is a demand for more info.... the guys that worked on the trucks are getting up there in age, and I'm sure they have forgotten more than I will ever learn.

My truck is a mid 43 open cab. So that's where I spend most of my efforts. If I had a 45 I'd be all over that time frame.

Best I can remember is that the composite beds started late 43/early 44 and went till early 45. Then the steel bolted jobs started early/mid 45. The composite beds had the longest production time frame. I don't know why they switched back to steel... Less parts? Easier to ship?

Last edited:

paulfarber

On e-bay there is a 7/45 CCKW for sale. Brent Mullins in TX is selling it (my guess). Its got some wrong parts, but if the bed it correct, that would have a bolted steel bed... maybe call Mullins and ask for some pics for reference?

swordmd

The CCKW on ebay looks to have the wrong bed, It looks like it has the all steel welded bed but with the stamped hooks it may be one of the post war rebuild beds made in Germany.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks