• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818 & PA Drivers License Question

I searched the forums and couldn’t find an answer to this question. If I missed it respond with the link and I apologize in advance.
My question is can I drive a M818 on a regular PA Drivers License??? My fiancé is an ex-trucker and says if I put not for higher on the side I can. Basically I’m thinking the M818 be good for what I want because it has the look and safety features id like. It has the look of the deuce trucks I like as well as 6x6 abilities for bad weather. I want it as a tow vehicle to pull a 5th wheel RV or Bumper Hitch RV Trailer. I figure would be an easy mod to add a ball mount to pull a bumper hitch RV with very little modifications.
I am open to suggestions for a tow vehicle but I like the M818 better then newer ones because u can get a soft top and run around like a convertible. But any suggestion or advice would be appreciated

Sephirothq

The GVW is over 26,000 lbs you need at least a non commerical license to operate it legally. I am told, by PENNDOT you will need a class A because it is tractor, even if you run it bob tail

thats what i thought the case would be. what about if we do what ex truckers do with peterbuilts and kw's with stretching the frame removing the hitch and putting a 20' sleeper another that is outfitted like a RV. would i i be able to drive that if registered as a RV??? or would i be better off finding a M36 XLWB or M35 2.5 Deuce and puling a RV Bumper Hitch Camper??? another idea i had was a M820 or a M934 Van and convert it into a RV. can i drive those on a Class C or would i have to get a M35 or M36 XLWB to use a class c pa license???

i wanted a military truck a long time and trying to figure the best way for me to go. i want the military vehicle for pulling a camper that will be my year round home. TY in advance.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The advantage of a 818 would be that you could drop the trailer and have a vehicle to go where you need to go, If you pulled the fifth wheel, installed a double sleeper, then installed a camper trailer fifth wheel and a pull trailer hitch, you would be ready to go, with the double sleeper set up as a RV (potty ect), I see no reason why you could not reg. it as a RV, please remember that a MV is not the fastest vehicle in the world, in fact NOT fast at all.

I believe you will like the 818 better then a deuce for what you want to do, more power, higher (can see better), shorter, PS, I believe shorter turning radius. The van trucks (820 ect.) along with the long wheel base deuce I think you will find to be pain in the a-s for what you want to do.

Good luck with your plans

Last edited:
yes i know they aren't fast lol, they have 2 speeds slow and slower. but they are durable and will last for ever if maintained. the reason i was looking at the m818 was because i could park the trailer but still get around. if i got a 820 or 934 and converted the van to a RV i could get a car dully and pull a car with me too. theres options I'm just not sure which be the best way to go. i just wondering on a 820 or 934 now. buss ill go to classifieds section and ask what id expect to pay for one.

Edit:.
Dang there are no 820's or 934 in classifieds here or GL. I'm guessing given the frustration ill have to get me a m35 or m36 xlwb preferably if i can find one. ty for all the help on the drivers license info though.

Last edited:

Sephirothq

I was told that if i took the 5th wheel plate off my truck, put a bed on it and got it registered as a straight truck not a tractor. I could use a class b license.

As far as an RV goes. if you get it registered as one you should be on calling it an RV but the GVW is still over 26,000 lbs. You will still need at least a non commercial class b.

THe RVs and such are why the noncommercial class licenses exist. I have been going through this with Penndot for under a year to try and find the answer.

it was a thought i have had acutely. getting a m818 and getting the bed off a m35 drop side. have a custom hitch made up that u use in pickup[ps with rails and pick between 5th and goos neck.I'm begging to think it might be the better option of the m35 i can drive that on a pa class c and i can pull RV trailer camper easily. i can also drive my m35 around ton when i have to get groceries too that way. this post and replies really helped me a lot with the issues id face with A 5 ton. id get a class b but i take some meds that wouldn't let me get one sadly. so I'm limited to a m35 in that fact I'm seeing now.

YTS Deuce

I'm not sure you would need a Class B license.

CLASS B (minimum age 18): Required to operate any single vehicle rated in excess of 26,000 pounds. Example: Motor homes rated at 26,001 pounds or more

That is from the PennDot website. The 818 is rated for a higher GVW, but it actually weighs less than 20,000lbs. Commercial laws apply to what the truck is licensed for, manufacturer GVWR doesn't apply. Since the 818 is a SINGLE vehicle, the way this is stated you should be fine. A 5th wheel trailer will probably push you over 26k total, but the law doesn't say anything about combination vehicle weight rating, it only says a single vehicle in excess of 26k.

I would print that out and go visit a DOT officer, explain what you want to do, and have him advise you. Then go visit a Highway Patrol officer and ask him the exact same questions. They will be the most knowledgeable. Calling DOT or MVD probably won't get you anywhere.

Also, as stated, a non commercial license doesn't require a medical, so if you do indeed need a Class B, medications shouldn't affect being able to get a license.

A bed and a toilet is what is generally required to classify a vehicle as an RV, so the sleeper idea might work as well.

Sephirothq

You wouldn't be able to de-rate the truck just so you wouldn't need a class b license.
that is just asking for trouble if you ever got pulled over. Class b is easy enough to get.

Srjeeper

MTGA,

If you choose to go with the 818 you will need a class B license. Pa. offers both commerical and non commerical licenses and the tests are mostly the same.

What determines what class (>26K B or A) license you'll need is the GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) of the vehicle you'll be operating, not the GVW (Gross Vehicles Weight). With a class B license you can only pull a trailer with a GVWR of less than <10,000 lbs.. With a class A license you can pull any trailer regardless of it's GVWR.

Non commerical license holders do not need a physcial card, but commerical license holders do.

The fact that you have a 5th wheel on your unit or a box has no bearing on the license requirement, it's all dependent on the vehicles GVWR.

Hope that helps....

blackrock

Hey guys i have a question that also pertains to this thread. My dad has a class A license and wants a 5ton, so the issue doesn't lie with driving it but with registering. my dad wants to bob it wants to do it right. If we get the antique tags for it then bob it that's not really legal and he doesn't want to do that. if we register it with regular plates i would imagine the cost would be crazy due to the weight class. Correct? Any way to drop the weight class when signing the title over? making it more reasonable. thanks in advance Kyle

Just an FYI. My understanding is that you only need a class A CDL for anytime you are towing a trailer with a GVWR of 10,000 lbs or more. It doesn't matter one way or the other what the truck is setup for. There is no difference between a straight truck that can haul 35000 lbs to a regular tractor chassis that "can pull" not "is pulling" a 60000 lbs trailer. As long as you have a light trailer you are good to go with just a non-commerical class B. For good measure I would shoot for the regular class B CDL but you will be fine. Again when not pulling a trailer of 10000 lbs GVWR.

Sephirothq

I have been told directly by PENN DOT that a tractor needs to have a class A license because it is setup for towing a trailer over 10,000 GVW.

I have been turned away from a class B test with my truck waiting at the testing office. I had the truck there as well as an appointment for the test, and the other driver with me who was already certified.

I have been told that it is ILLEGAL to drive a tractor without a Class A license.

I have been told these things by the PENN DOT officers.

All that being said, those who don't want to follow the rules, Good luck in court. Pay the fine and shut up.

blackrock

I have been told directly by PENN DOT that a tractor needs to have a class A license because it is setup for towing a trailer over 10,000 GVW.

I have been turned away from a class B test with my truck waiting at the testing office. I had the truck there as well as an appointment for the test, and the other driver with me who was already certified.

I have been told that it is ILLEGAL to drive a tractor without a Class A license.

I have been told these things by the PENN DOT officers.

All that being said, those who don't want to follow the rules, Good luck in court. Pay the fine and shut up.
why were you turned away? so what did you do? im trying to find info out how to obtain a class a or b non commercial license. but can't find any info besides the proper paper work to fill out. Im still confused on registering a bobbed 5ton also. whats the proper way to do that? thanks kyle

Sephirothq

You can drive a cargo with a class B license.
If it has a fifth wheel you better have a class A.

I was turned away for my test best I didn't have a class A permit, and I didn't have a trailer with the truck.

No they would not let me take my class B test with the tractor bob tail. They said it is not legal to drive with a class B.

So with that said.
I am working on getting a cargo 5 ton and getting my class B noncommercial license with said cargo truck.​

blackrock

You can drive a cargo with a class B license.
If it has a fifth wheel you better have a class A.

I was turned away for my test best I didn't have a class A permit, and I didn't have a trailer with the truck.

No they would not let me take my class B test with the tractor bob tail. They said it is not legal to drive with a class B.

So with that said.
I am working on getting a cargo 5 ton and getting my class B noncommercial license with said cargo truck.​
OK now it all makes sense. do you have any idea on what the driving test entails for the class A or B?

Also, you looking to sell your m818?

thanks kyle

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks