• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Patching a Vinyl Canvas Cover

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a vinyl canvas covers on my M105a2 that has little holes were the corners are.
Does anyone know what to use to patch the holes?

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The commercial truck companies have the same problems with their tarps. Check with them. Otherwise, a glue/adhesive like barge cement that stays pliable, is what you are looking for. The good glue will partially melt the patch and the base fabric together.

Those corners are always a problem, and I am careful how I throw the cover back.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How big are the holes? Just the stitch holes or like a rip?

treeguy

I was wondering if you could glue a patch like Rosco said and then maybe hand stich it with something like sail thread and then seal the thread with the same glue? I think the problem would be where and what material to use, I have a cargo cover that is missing one of the bungee tabs but I don't know what material to replace it with.

I just got 2 new repair kits from McCoy. The consist of a heat gun, sand paper, glue, seam sealer and patch material.
I don't know if you can get this stuff from any MV surplus dealer. I don't have a kit here, but i'll grab one this week to see if there is more info.

treeguy

I've called Saturn and some others and they don't have anything to repair these. There are different types of material used over the years right? I've seen some that look to have a sheen and like the one I have is a sort of rubberized canvas, not straight duck canvas which would be easy to repair.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think it is the same vinyi material as the tents are made of. Can you find a tent repair kit?

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just got 2 new repair kits from McCoy. The consist of a heat gun, sand paper, glue, seam sealer and patch material.
I don't know if you can get this stuff from any MV surplus dealer. I don't have a kit here, but i'll grab one this week to see if there is more info.
drgreg, Do you have a listing for the McCoy kits?
Thanks,!

emr

just sayin i can not see welding with that on a truck cargo cover, unless the area was flat, I think his corners are wearing? there has to be glue kits for this that can be used....

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
just sayin i can not see welding with that on a truck cargo cover, unless the area was flat, I think his corners are wearing? there has to be glue kits for this that can be used....
Yes, they do look like they are wearing and making the canvas very thin.

lexluther

This place says they have something, but you have to call...
Products Page - BERG General Supply

I cant find Mccoy, Drgreg, can you post a link?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tentage repair kits were originally equipped with Adhesive, Tentage Repair. It's a nasty black contact cement. I've patched canvas and vinyl with great results however I can't find a source for the adhesive any longer.

FormerNewMVGuy

I havent talked with GMA cover in a while, but i coulda swore they used to sell vinyl patch kits, swimming pool liner repair kits work well for the vinyl covers , the patch is ussually a clear piece of vinyl....

Mike_L

There is a product called HH-66. Should be available at local tent shops. A friend repaired his 2 1/2 ton vinyl top a few years back with this stuff and it is still holding tight. The patches were needed where the cover lay over the bows: one at the rear right corner and a couple over the mid-section bows. We used about a 4" wide piece of scrap vinyl as a patch, an acid brush (small brush) to apply, and a J roller to press the patch down. We took the top off and worked on a card table outside. You'll definitely want to use this stuff outside. We didn't use much either. We put the patches on the inside so they wouldn't show on the outside.

If you can't find it locally, I did a quick Google search and found this one: Example Source.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks