• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Patching a Vinyl Canvas Cover

Mike_L

The NSN for the old black adhesive in the cans has been replaced by adhesive in tubes. It is 3M Scotch-Weld Nitrile High Performance Rubber and Gasket Adhesive #847. I was able to find it at a local Fastenal store. I think it is in their catalog so any store may be able to order it. I used some and it worked great on a GP small (canvas) for new patching and reinforcing some old patches. The tube states it "Bonds leather, nitril rubber, gasketing materials to a veriety of substrates." Thins with Acetone or MEK and dries to a medium brown.

Tentage repair kits were originally equipped with Adhesive, Tentage Repair. It's a nasty black contact cement. I've patched canvas and vinyl with great results however I can't find a source for the adhesive any longer.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am seeking materials and methods to repair rips, holes and failed seams on a few covers. Before experimenting with adhesives or glues, I wanted to check in with everyone to see if anyone has tried rewelding seams or new patch material using a small hobby iron?

The cost of an iron is about the same as a quart of the HH-66 bonding cement, however I believe a heat welded bond will be superior and must have some merit due to the fact it is the original assembly method.

One concern is whether it is possible to weld a failed seam a second time. Also I need a source for a small amount of matching material if anyone has a source.

Thanks,

Rick

koolex11

I have done this. If you are talking about pinholes, this is the stuff. Sportsstuff repair adhesive: $6.00.

If they are actual tears or you want to reinforce the back so it soesn't happen again, go to walmart, buy an inflatable toy for a pool (same material), cut a patch, and glue it with Sportstuff.

Attachments

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update:

After looking at many alternatives, I contacted Cindy Berg at Berg General Supply Home Page

Cindy explained that there is not much chance I will be able to duplicate the sewn/heat sealed original seam construction. Apparently the sewing thread used by suppliers does not hold up and the original heat sealed seams rely on the mechanical attachment provided by stitching. Cindy recommends re-gluing the failed seam and utilization of glued on reinforcing strips to strengthen the seam repair.

For a satisfactory alternative, Berg Supply sells:

Adhesive patches of 12" square
Non-adhesive material of 12"x 24" square
HH-66 glue (mentioned previously in this thread) This glue is a combination of (in the following order) Toulene, MEK and Acetone. Maybe somebody can check to see how close this combination is to PVC glue.

I bought a quart of the glue, 2 adhesive patches (for future holes and rips) and plenty of the non-adhesive material (for 6" wide seam reinforcement) Total cost shipped was $35.

I'll task myself with some repairs on a M105A2 cover in the near future. I will take photos and report the results so you guys can decide if using Berg Supply is a good idea!

Rick

FloridaAKM

GL used to occasionally auction off tent repair kits in wooden crates. The crates contained needles, thread, grommets, installation tools, multiple types of materials to make the repairs with & other odds & ends. There was no glue IIRC, but you could supply that from external sources to effect the necessary repairs. This method should repair most vinyl or canvas problems if you can source this kit.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Use HH-66 glue for vinyl and use "Tear Mender" or "Barge" for (untreated) canvas.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
X2 on the HH-66.

I made a repair over two years ago on a vinyl cargo cover for my green M101A2.
It’s been baked in the summer sun and frozen to -6.
Driven at freeway speeds for hours.

Repair is still as good as day one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks