• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M135 Front Hub #'s VS M135 Rear Hub #'s

Bigo1966

So im still on my quest to run singles on my M211.

My next question is do the M211 and M135 run the same front hubs? If so are the rear hubs on the M135 the same as the front hubs on the M135? If that is true cant i just get front hubs off a M135 and put them on the back of my M211?

Just a thought.

Thanks
Orion

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: M135 Front Hub #

IMHO, all hubs on the G749 trucks are the same, front & rear. They did not "flip" hubs on these trucks, just used different pffset wheels.

dg

panhapp

In doing research I find these old threads that have inacurate information in them. I figure that when someone tries to search and finds them it really makes it confussing. I don't want to step on any toes as I just joined up but I haven't seen any accurate info on this, but I may have missed it.

From what I find in the manuals the hubs front and rear are the same on the 211s and the 135s.

On the front everything is the same except the wheels.

On the rear, to change from 211 to 135 you do flip the hubs. You also have to change to a 135 brake drum back. The studs and wheel nuts are also different.

I am going to have to do this so I have been researching it. Hope this will save someone some time.

Pan

hippiedude

Why would you have to chang the brake drum backing plate ??? And why not front lug nuts on rear studs , just don`t use the rear thimbles ...........??? What am I missing ???

panhapp

For lug nuts you do use 135 or front 211 or 135 nuts.

Look at fig. 180 on page 286 of tm-1819. The top half is of a 211. The bottom half is a 135. You can see the dual wheels at the top. If you look at the brake back you will see that the 135 has a deeper dish or offset. This is so the drum will line up with the shoes when you flip the hub. I think you could use the longer 211 wheel studs but to be correct you would use 135 studs or front studs.

Pan

butch atkins

ORD 9-G-749,the PLATE,Backing(what all off the springs,adjusters,shoes etc bolt to)are only in left,right for ALL models,as are ALL the studs,remember that the BRAKE DRUMS are 2pc,the difference is there between the M 135 and the rest of the series is in the BACK PLATE that bolts to the DRUM,way to many part #s to list but thats the way the ORD 9 lists them,also difference between HUBS for M 135 and rest of series,hope this helps,all you need to figure this out is the ORD 9-G-749 manual

butch atkins

Hubs drums

maybe my post wasnt real clear,M135s run different HUBS and BACKS of HUBS,and different offset RIMS to obtain their unique ability to run the 1100/20 tires,dont think you can run the 1100/20s on an M211 cargo body and expect any kind of articulation out of the rear axles without tire bind,there is a reason M135 cargo bodies have those huge wheelwells in them,And yes ALL of the STUDS are the same for ALL of the G-749s.The offset for the M135 wheels are 5 1/2" and have the chamfer for the lug nut on one side of the rim only.The rest of the wheels have a 6 3/16" offset to them,with chamfers on both sides of the rims ,so that you can use them in any position on the dual rear wheel models,good luck on finding the correct parts if you want to put singles on an M211.I do know of someone who has a complete set of M135 rims if you wish to proceed with this project.PM if you are interested. Good luck to all on your projects

panhapp

I wasen't infering that you didn't have to chang beds (frgured that was a given). My manual givs part# 7411472 for all 211 and 135 hubs.

brake back for all 211 and front 135 = #7413231

brake back for rear 135s =#7413232.

Pan

panhapp

Butch I reread your post. Iam not talking about the backing plate on the axle.

I'm talking about the two piece brake drum. The manual calls the center part

that mounts to the hub the back. this center of the brake is what is differant.

the 135 has ( on the rears ) a deeper offset so when you flip the hub the drum still lines up

with the shoes.

Pan

Last edited:

Stan Leschert

BTW, while playing with lug nuts on a 135/211 , remember that some were RIGHT and LEFT handed thread. Look on the end of the stud (L - R) to tell you which way to turn.

This ways not directed at the previous posters ( who know) ,
but at anyone else who reads this thread.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone know what size socket I need to buy for the spindle nut? I'm looking at Superdave's picture item "B"
Thanks
Dan

butch atkins

WRENCH,wheel bearing nut,octagon,( 8 sided ),3 7/16 opening,3/4 sq.-drive with 2.072 tubular pilot ,5 in long,picture is on pg 23 of TM 9-1819AC ORDANANCE MANUAL,basically it is a 3 7/16 8 sided socket,you can get a cheapie at any truck shop,the original has a pilot on it that goes up in the axle tube so you dont slip the socket off of the bearing nuts ,the nuts are only about 1/4 thick,PART # 41-W-3825-66

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Butch. I did see it in the manual, but did not believe it. The pilot threw me. Makes perfect sense now. Thanks again. [thumbzup]

Dan

butch atkins

BTW ,I have BOTH of these wrenches (sockets),the only difference is that 1 has a 1 7/8 in. long pilot,the other has a 5 in. long pilot,i got them off Ebay at a really cheap price.dont think anyone knew what they were,sandblasted them and painted and the part #s were the same as the book,and they work so much better than the socket i bought at the truck shop. :D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks