• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trailer Model ID - Manual - Recovery

oldMan99

Greetings..

Just won this:

"2 Wheel 6 Ton Semi Trailer Van, no data plate Mfr/Sn unknown, **BUYER LOAD**" (Yes, that was the full description....)

Approximate
Dim. or Lot Cube: 368" x 94" x 135" (L x W x H)

Item Location: 77 Rock Avenue
Fort Meade, MD 20755

I have 3 questions, (Please feel free to respond to any or all):

#1: I believe it is a M373 but in looking for manuals I have found that it apparently might be one of the following: M348A2, XM1005, or a XM1007 Can anybody tell from the pictures and very limited description exactly what it is?

#2: Where can I get a downloadable copy of the TM? (I found the one TPub but it is not downloadable except one page at a time.)

#3: The trailer is located in Fort Meade, MD. I believe I have a SS member that will pick it up for me from GL and arrange local storage until I can arrange transportation to North New Mexico, or Orlando, FL. The trailer is empty and I do not have a problem letting it carry a load along the way to help cover expenses. Anybody out there with the proper truck going my way??

EDITED TO ADD PICTURES, remove the link and add the description info.

Attachments

Last edited:

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Greetings..

Just won this: 2330 - Trailers at Government Liquidation

I have 3 questions, (Please feel free to respond to any or all):

#1: I believe it is a M373 but in looking for manuals I have found that it apparently might be one of the following: M348A2, XM1005, or a XM1007 Can anybody tell from the pictures and very limited description exactly what it is?

#2: Where can I get a downloadable copy of the TM? (I found the one TPub but it is not downloadable except one page at a time.)

#3: The trailer is located in Fort Meade, MD. I believe I have a SS member that will pick it up for me from GL and arrange local storage until I can arrange transportation to North New Mexico, or Orlando, FL. The trailer is empty and I do not have a problem letting it carry a load along the way to help cover expenses. Anybody out there with the proper truck going my way??

Nice score on the trailer. The length listed on the GL ad if correct rules out the M348 series trailers as they are 326" in length. Without any visible vents it looks like a XM1007. All the M373 models had at least some vents somewhere on the body. The XM models had 9 clearance lights and the M373 models had 13 except for some of the later ones.

Last edited:

oldMan99

Nice score on the trailer. The length listed on the GL ad if correct rules out the M348 series trailers as they are 326" in length. Without any visible vents it looks like a XM1007. All the M373 models had at least some vents somewhere on the body. The XM models had 9 clearance lights and the M373 models had 13 except for some of the later ones.
Thanks! -

After reading the above and looking in my new downloaded manual (Thanks Bighurt!) It looks like your probably right.

Assuming it is in fact the XM1007 it has a "Resilient" king pin. All the other models listed in the manual are "Standard Ordinance". So... what is the difference?

I like "XM1007" It sounds way cooler than "M373"... LOL. (Sounds like it should be carried under the wing of a B29 and have rocket engines in it...!)

That is most likely the most useful link anybody has posted on SS... Thanks!

Now I just need to figure out how to get it to where it needs to be!

KsM715

Theres a reason we dont post links to GL's lots. They go dead after a short while and year from now when someone is searching though old threads this one will would have been useless without the actual pics of the trailer in question.

Attachments

oldMan99

Theres a reason we dont post links to GL's lots. They go dead after a short while and year from now when someone is searching though old threads this one will would have been useless without the actual pics of the trailer in question.
I (Thought) the reason was because of the collusion in bidding issue. Since I have already won the item, obviously that issue is no longer relevant. I know the links eventually quit working but was thinking that it would work plenty long enough to get my questions answered. Unfortunately, I never gave a thought to the fact that a year from now somebody may use the search function and end up looking at this thread for information. I guess that was selfish and shortsighted of me.

I edited the post to remove the link and added the pictures and all the descriptive info GL had provided.

Thanks! I'll keep this in mind should I make a similar post again! :)

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like you got a pretty nice trailer, OldMan. At the rate you're going you're going to need to buy several acres of land to park your new toys. :)

As far as the link to the auction it's not that it's a no-no as it is okay to posts links to closed GL auctions. It is just a recommendation to also post the pictures from the auction at the same time you post a link to it so when the link goes dead the pics will still be preserved in the thread itself. You didn't do anything wrong by posting the link the way you did. It just works better for the long term if the pictures from the auction get posted along with the link.

Anyhow, congrats on the trailer. So what's next, a HEMTT? :D

Ruppster

Danger Ranger

Very cool, what are your plans for it? Mobile garage for small stuff? Actual transportation/hauling? Camper?...(my guess is no) Tell us more...[thumbzup]:wink:

oldMan99

Very cool, what are your plans for it? Mobile garage for small stuff? Actual transportation/hauling? Camper?...(my guess is no) Tell us more...[thumbzup]:wink:
Camper/house. I used to live full time in a RV, I will likely be returning to that and this will be the new "House"

Want to add something like the below pics to the back of it but MAY also add a 2 or 3' non-folding section as well. Will also line up the stairs with the left side of the camper (Where the back doors are) so I can ride a a 4 wheeler up the stairs and into the back of the box for transport.

Alternatively, a fixed rear deck/porch of about 4 or 5' and a ramp/stairs from the side so I can haul the 4 wheeler sideways on the porch.

I would like to be able to get the 4 wheeler out w/o having to set up the entire porch first. Might even look at something like the liftgate on the back of the M820. That would be pretty cool. Could use it as a porch, would drop down for loading. If stored would not take much effort to deploy to unload the 4 wheeler.

We will see how it all works out. And of course, I'll post pictures when the time is right.....

Either will block the back door but that is what the side door is for.

Attachments

Danger Ranger

More questions: what was this trailer originally for?
Dimensions?
Why is it so light (single axle, 6 ton, etc.)?
The X is for prototype or experimental? (think I read that somewhere....)

Love the porch idea.[thumbzup] hydraulic liftgate seems really cool. If you had to you could make it simple like the front gate of a hay wagon. hinged, with chains to hold it up, pin or lock in place to fold up, simple. not sure what capacity that might have, it would have to be all custom? Done right, and you could have a big porch.:jumpin:
Jus' throwin idears' out ther'... And yeah, I got my mind in the furrow...:cookoo::lol:

Attachments

Last edited:

oldMan99

Hey who makes that box?

That may solve one of my design issues...

Probably costs more than I make in 10 years...
You mean the box on the truck I used for the porch sample? Actually that is 2 different trucks.

Some time ago both those pictures were posted with the question of what kind of truck/box. It was pointed out that it looked like the one with the deployed porch was probably a US 5 ton and the other was (If I recall correctly) not a US truck.

Gichner makes several different 20' boxes that look pretty similar to the ones in those 2 pictures. New, I believe they are in the $40,000 - $100,000 price range. GL occasionally has some that were driven onto the lot, no key, occasionally missing doors.......

GICHNER Shelter Systems

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Camper/house. I used to live full time in a RV, I will likely be returning to that and this will be the new "House"

Want to add something like the below pics to the back of it but MAY also add a 2 or 3' non-folding section as well. Will also line up the stairs with the left side of the camper (Where the back doors are) so I can ride a a 4 wheeler up the stairs and into the back of the box for transport.

Alternatively, a fixed rear deck/porch of about 4 or 5' and a ramp/stairs from the side so I can haul the 4 wheeler sideways on the porch.

I would like to be able to get the 4 wheeler out w/o having to set up the entire porch first. Might even look at something like the liftgate on the back of the M820. That would be pretty cool. Could use it as a porch, would drop down for loading. If stored would not take much effort to deploy to unload the 4 wheeler.

We will see how it all works out. And of course, I'll post pictures when the time is right.....

Either will block the back door but that is what the side door is for.

While not as elaborate as the two pics you have posted, here is a pic of a M971 Command trailer.

Attachments

Danger Ranger

While not as elaborate as the two pics you have posted, here is a pic of a M971 Command trailer.
BINGO! that is the type of porch I was talking about! Thankyou, 11Echo. You always post right behind or in front of me with the good info.
Anyway, that is a perfect example inth pic. You could even lock it upright probably, and therefore keep any intruders out. (You have side door to get out to unlock the porch.)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks