• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Coming Attraction - project #6 M43 build

Status
Not open for further replies.

zout

Why project #6:
build of 2 - M109A3's - Dinger65 and ours - into rv's
1 - M105
1 - 68 CJ5 into M38A1 - DInger65's
1 - M38A1 - My wife's
1 - M43 - coming attraction

Will be sitting up here April 30th in time for the pig cookout - will freshen the thread again come first week of April.
Been reading through the many threads here in preperation.

This unit is really in great shape and look forward to taking my time with it and learn about it as it goes along on the build.

Any fans of the M43 that wish to throw some input in here - please do so.

Attachments

zak

Do you plan on taking the body off the frame? I'm to that point just need the will power. Biggest thing that I've found so far is the insulation a sponge for mice and moisture. And every one that I've looked at has some kind of rust along the roof seams.

Attachments

zout

Great pictures Zak - looks like you have a nicely equipped place to work in it.

I did not get up underneath the unit as the engine was removed along with the trans so I could at least get a good look down the framerails. Where there is usually rust there was not any.

I have orders to finish at least my wife's jeep first before I can really lay into the project - plus I do not want to have to divy up funds from one project to one that will take some time to get it to the finished point (are we ever finished ??) but you can bet my paws will be all over it when she is not home.:beer:

I will have to start considering the lift of the body off the frame if that is what it heads into - guess we will see. But that would be the only way to go to do it justice. But again - this will be driven in the end and not be set aside to look pretty where no one can climb in it to see all about its history.

zak

I said the same thing about my m37 its just going to be a driver, then it became an obsession. Take the ceiling panel off over the pass door and it will tell you what you need to do. POR will become your friend.

zout

I know this project is a ways off - But after doing some reading here and checking on what I think is its history - this is what the end projects mission would be.

I was checking on outfitting the unit with its proper gear along with the painted Med M1 helmets - flak jackets - full med pac's - some carried 45's on a shoulder harness (replica one in the unit) But - have the unit geared up as what would have been expected.

Then - CAMO would have full access to the vehicle at any given time to show where ever and whenever they wanted - no questions asked.
I think that would be the best justice I could do with the vehicle when I finished.

SO in the meantime I will be hunting down accessory items.

Last edited:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I know this project is a ways off - But after doing some reading here and checking on what I think is its history - this is what the end projects mission would be.
I was checking on outfitting the unit with its proper gear along with the painted Med M1 helmets - flak jackets - full med pac's - some carried 45's on a shoulder harness (replica one in the unit) But - have the unit geared up as what would have been expected.
Then - CAMO would have full access to the vehicle at any given time to show where ever and whenever they wanted - no questions asked.
I think that would be the best justice I could do with the vehicle when I finished.
SO in the meantime I will be hunting down accessory items.[/QUOTE]

Dave...don't hunt too hard. One of our members has most of that stuff and he is trying to down size his "basic load".

Besides...if you make your M43 look too good I'm gonna have to start working on the other one!!

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
[Dave...don't hunt too hard. One of our members has most of that stuff and he is trying to down size his "basic load".

Besides...if you make your M43 look too good I'm gonna have to start working on the other one!!
Well, he does need project #7 too. I say we all vote on it.......

zout

Its always nice to have friends voting on you:beer:

If you come over to the roast you will see I have little flat concrete in front of the garage before it heads upwards - I have to crawl up it on all 4s like a dog till I get to the top by the house - that is why I stay down there so long - hate to needlessly go back up ^^.

I do not mind working in dirt and clay - but for stuff I am really hustling on I prefer flat level hard ground.

BTW (gotta see a pic of that gasser)

zout

DR - only 5 more days to go till arrival - try to get he pics on the tread as well at the pig roast.

Did I mention I am :jumpin::jumpin::jumpin::jumpin: as crap and I graciously/humbly thank PB and the CAMO crew.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Selecting friends

DR - only 5 more days to go till arrival - try to get he pics on the tread as well at the pig roast.

Did I mention I am :jumpin::jumpin::jumpin::jumpin: as crap and I graciously/humbly thank PB and the CAMO crew.
Dave, I just realized that I never explained how I pick my friends/CAMO members, so here goes:

When a new "prospective member"/friend arrives at the "hooch" Baby Bear interviews him/her and decides whether you are a good troop....or not.
This process usually takes him about an hour.

If you fail BB's tests he will shun you. If you pass he will bring his ball, stick or shop rag and wanna play with you, or maybe he'll just start knawing on your ankles and legs...which means you passed. :roll::roll:
Best I remember, You Deb and Lorie passed his tests in about 10 minutes. (BTW, I stand by my promise to provide you with wooden legs for life), BB did get a tad carried away in your case![thumbzup][thumbzup]rofl

I'm gonna try to herd the group outta here early Saturday morning so we can spend as much time as possible with some truly good Americans[thumbzup]

Attachments

Last edited:

Danger Ranger

:shock: Oh, Oh, Oh...uuuhhh (passes out, mumbling something about only 5 days left...)rofl
:drool::jumpin::jumpin::jumpin::grd:[thumbzup]
Can't wait for it Zout, with the obvious exception of PB, can I claim biggest fan?

zout

I even have 2 tennis balls waiting to play - I know he will eat the first one and the second one may last a tad longer.

I know he will not eat off the ground and I even have his OWN plate here as well. Deb thougth I was totally bonkers but eh - I will accomodate my friends.

(rofl) its PB's plate.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I'm bringing my own mess kit, with canteen cup:-D
Even saved some rain water to drip off my hat into the mess kit while I'm eating.

I'm even bringing a mermite insert so I can dump all my food in there and let it get cold and green so I can REALLY enjoy it:beer:

zout

Been cleaning up and had neighbors walking down the powerlines and stopping to check out the delivered M43 from PB at the cookout.

The more I keep looking the more is realized how complete this ambulance is.

Thanks for the on site delivery PB and CAMO crew, This baby is awesome.

When Deb is not home I'll start sneeking in some metal time with the minor rust holes on it.
That is as soon as I get my Miller Renegade welder repaired after Dinger backed over it this morning :-| not once but twice. Marines really know how to make sure stuff stays dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks