• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Coming Attraction - project #6 M43 build

Status
Not open for further replies.

dc3coyote

No cost, for the stretchers, I need the room more.
When I get home i will dig through the pile and find the better ones. Just remind me when I get home. Also if you dont mind keeping your eye out for m43 series stuff. I plan to get mine running ASAP.

zout

I appreciate it DC. The 43 stuff if it comes along I will keep an eye out for it.

This one has everything and MORE than I expected.

I will be keeping an eye out for the med equipment as well - flak jackets - holsters for the sidearms and replica sidearms to "fit" it.

zout

Civil Defense cut and hacked in the windows on this rig - once looking at the interior framework the worse it got.

They had taken the original side wall on the interior and cut - bent - welded in and did a very sloppy (should mean criminal) cut out work through the exterior panel on both sides - not even - distorted - looks like, and is crap.

That is the anwer to the windows on this M43B1.

Not only did they do that - they burned the old Red Cross emblem off the sides - anyone that has done body work and knows when someone has torched off paint knows the signs. (ciminal). This is a total PIA to sand down by the way.

I sanded down to the original first coat of paint which is above the red oxide primer. Still have a little left on the drivers side to get removed. By sanding I mean on this side so far I have 158 pieces of 80 grit DA sandpaper used.

This brings up bringing the ambulance back to original ?

Without having to purchase an entire side panel interor for both sides from a scrap unit and without having to remove the entire exterior panels from a scrap good one - the next best thing is to:

1. Mark and remove the lexan from the panels - this will give me a pattern of the exterior panel for patching in.

2. Cut and fill in the exterior hole from the interior - overlapping the hole.

3. Using the pattern from the lexan glass - weld in a trimmed piece to fill the exterior panel - keeping the temp controlled to not distort the exterior panel any worse than what the CRIMINAL Civil Defense boneheads did.

4. Then overlay the full section of the interor and weld in a full piece so the hacked in (did I mention criminal civil defense personnel) framework on the interor matches as best as possible for a full wall covering up the hacked in window frames.

As far as the body work - I am bringing the paintwork down to the first coat where ever possible as this is a solid coat. Then re-primer and working on the paint color as I go along.
Once I have a section done I will have to primer to keep from rusting - rusted areas have already been sprayed with rust converter till I get to them,
And Yes I have patterns cut for metal above both doors with vent blowers behind them to replace them=

My Miller welder got ran over twice at the pig roast and I am waiting for parts to put it back together.:roll:
I have found several stenciled items on top of the original coat of paint and keep pics of these as well for my own historical value.
Pics

Attachments

Danger Ranger

:jumpin:It looks great Zout! Thank you for posting your obstacles for all of us to see. I am sure all your readers appreciate the struggles you go through to preserve a piece of history, and even more to the fact that you post and share. Thanks.

Keep up the good work! [thumbzup][thumbzup][thumbzup]

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I sure didn't think those windows were right...but I HAVE been wrong...frequently..roflroflrofl

I know repairing those window cuts will be a PITA but I also know you will:grd::beer:

I've seen your work![thumbzup]

Is this an M43 on the data plate? The windows were for the M152CN which is a canadian commo truck. I wonder if they started to make a M152 and then switch to M43 along the way? Strange. But then again stranger things have happen!
those were my thoughts exactly. i know of a Canuck Commo truck near me i looked into getting a couple yrs ago, and thats what the windows on this one reminded me of... still available i believe if any of you ohio guys are looking...

zout

After looking at the CDN version the window pattern were not identical plus 2 outside far end windows were non existant.

I received the body panel metal yesterday and got tied up last night with other things to head down the to the garage.

I will take my painters green paper and make templates and lay this pattern on the sheets - I will add 1/2 in to the pattern as I will be flanging the edges to bring the exterior level with the existing side panels on the truck - I have my heat sink gell to get put on as well to keep the exterior and this template panel from distorting when getting tacked into place.

Once the exterior panel is flange edged - welded in I have additional plates to fill in the exterior hole right behind the first. Then I have the metal already to fill in the interior wall hole where the CD hacked it out.

I will probably wind up using short haired Dyna Glass - as least as possible to repair the CD's hacked cutting of the exterior panel and where the repair panel will get placed. - this will keep it structurally sound and keep from cracking at a later date - as the big Red Cross is going to be right over it - talk about a PIA place to hack cut two holes in a side panel auaauaauaaua

I may mention the CD's hacked cutting one more time, and then I will be over it and move on.rofl

nattieleather

Well on line pictures are hard to see details. Once you posted the next set up close I could see the hack job. The first set of pictures made it look like factory knock outs. As in they were setting to pop in windows but never did.

@ still standing: I think I know which truck your talking about.... :lol:

zout

Drew templates with the painters green paper - outlined on metal sheet - added the additional for the "flange edging" and cut. The windows are not cut straight or even and I do not want to remove any metal from the side anymore. Will work with the templates and from there out & in. This is just the drivers side made for now - I will get to the shaddy side next week :jumpin::jumpin::jumpin:. 97 in the garage cutting these out and it was not worth turning on the ac in there for the short time I was there.

I may fidgit with the welders voltage switch that was smashed by someone I know along with other things on it - to get these welded in by this weekend.

Attachments

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I really wish you would finish the M38's first. I have invested a lot of time reading each and every post of the M38's and I have been left high and dry. Sort of like watching the Ten Commandments and having to stop at the 7th commandment. :lol::lol::lol:

zout

Thou shalt not covet thy members M38A1 rofl

Dingers jeep - we just tore the engine down and collecting funds for work.

My wifes engine is nearly done and I have fund set aside for that (used a little bit for the pig roast but don't tell her - that was more important).

Then I have a Big expendature for a complete wiring harness to collect for.

There are many a misc items that could be had - but I dislike dipping into those set aside dollars.

The 43 is basically stuff I have plus my labor is cheap - cause I am a cheap date and learning by doing it as I go - some day I will grow up and know something. Red Oxide I have - sandpaper I have - metal I have and time is every available time I get - I watch no tv and have not picked up my banjo in over 2 yrs - I just like working on the green.

My aplogizes to have put you into 38 withdrawls - but reading the scriptures and showing my evil and mad ways is a good thing [thumbzup]

zout

Tigger - that 43 is screaming to get put back together to show the general public and let them get in it and know its history.

I was wrong at 97 in the garage - it was 102 in there - Deb dug out my digital temp gun and playing with it.

tigger

Medic.
In Memorial
I saw the drool running out of the side of your mouth when PB rolled in with it!:lol: I know you will do an outstanding job on it![thumbzup]

hey Nattie, this ones about an hour and a half or so southwest of you in BFE... he's got an M37 in his barn with a blown motor that he thinks is made of gold too... but im gonna go back again soon and try to get him to come off of some parts... i know he was willing to sell the Comm truck before though... sound like same truck to you?

zout

fitted in the left side panel made from the template.

Tacked all around about 1/2 in spacing - used HEAT SINK to control the warp to the body panel.

Used Dyna Glass to fill the weld seam and made sure it was filled by pushing into the areas both directions and used very little hardner so I could do this.

Got most of it sanded using 80 grit premium paper till the sun was almost down and the grandkids arrived (we take care of them every night) and its ice cream time.

I was going to grab a cargo bar from work to hold the panel into place and tight - but the wall to wall area is shorter than the cargo bar can rachet into - SO I improvised - and overcome the situation.

Here are some pics.

Attachments

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
OK Zout...this needs to be asked.

Am I and CAMO gonna be on Deb's chitlist cause you are playing with the M43 instead of the M38A1s??

Does she have a gun?? Can she run fast?

You guys gotta come down next month when Carl comes home from Afghanistanbananastan so I don't wanna have to worry about her targeting me for "termination".roflrofl

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks