• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Farm Fresh A5

combat32

It took me a year to talk this guy into selling me this mule, overall in pretty good shape.It has been sitting for at least 2 years but has been stored inside since this guy bought it.Used at their deer camp for the last 15 years or so.

I know I need to clean out the fuel system any other recomendations before I try to fire it up.Owner said when he last used it always started on the first pull.Still workin on talking him out of the other 3 he has:mrgreen:

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That is a really great find, very complete and not beat to death.

The gas tank is a typical issue-get damaged easily in more difficult offroading maneuvers.

The deck is gorgeous. Wish mine was that nice.

combat32

Took off the fuel tank today, don't look too bad gonna drop it at the radiator shop and get it cleaned out.Pulled the plugs and checked the timing all good to go, oil change and reinstall fuel tank later in the week and hopefully crank her up next weekend.

Charlie

Nice looking mule.
Be sure to remove the top engine shroud and check for any mouse nests on top of the cylinders and behind the blower.

Charlie

Yes, I would, because the gas today is crap and will kill the pump sooner or later. On the mules that we bring back to life, the fuel pump and carb are always changed. You'll also find out that the in-tank filter is no longer available, so think about adding an in-line fuel filter. FYI, the sediment bowl filter is a NAPA 3034. Try to find ethanol free gas when you fill up. I'd also recomend a 1/2 cup of Marvel Mystery Oil in the crankcase to help those hyd lifters pump up.

For anybody who owns a mule, you need to stock up on fuel pumps and carbs, the supply is getting low and when they are gone, they are gone. Talked to the orignal manufacturer and there are no plans to re-start production or offer any rebuild kits. I did talk to one rebuilder about fuel pump kits, but his quote was about 2 times the price of new pumps right now, but don't throw your old pumps away!

Last edited:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Still kicking myself over the $800 mule I passed up 10 years back. I was stupid then, too.

Nice save! Won't take much to get that looking nice....

Charlie

Bill has carbs and pumps. If you own a mule, you owe it to yourself to give Bill a call and just talk mules for a few minutes, he's great to talk with.
If you haven't realized it yet, pound-for-pound, the M274 is the most expensive MV you can own :-D!

combat32

I have already spent over a grand and haven't even got her running yet:mrgreen: Talked to Bill today and parts are on the way.Another proud member of the mule train.

combat32

Some progress today, taking it slow, it sux when you work for a living! Someone had been in this fuel tank before, the pickup had two sheet metal screws holding it in and one of the originals was sheared off.I was able to re-tap the two buggered up holes and get the broke one out with an easy out.Ran my tap through all the hole and am replacing the screws with stainless steel screws in case I have to come back here some day.

The pickup filter on mine had been replace with a wix 33271 slightly modified by having one cap taken off one end.Since originals are unobtainable I am going to replace with same, it is a 10 micron filter should do fine.

The tank itself and the pickup are not too badly rusted, just cleaning them up, almost ready to put the tank back together and hang it back on.

Attachments

combat32

New fuel pump in today, this is one dirty mule! Find more crud under everything I look at.The blower had a couple of dirt dobber nests in it, nothing else inside the engine shrouds.Everything has been pretty simple to disassemble so far, I see some new seals in my future:mrgreen:

Attachments

Charlie

looking good! That's pretty typical of a mule fuel tank....I do like the looks of that filter, need to check that out a little more!

asgtoolman

I have already spent over a grand and haven't even got her running yet:mrgreen: Talked to Bill today and parts are on the way.Another proud member of the mule train.
Tom; have you ordered 4 wheel steering parts or something else REAL BIG?
I did spend over $2,000, but did a COMPLETE rebuild; added 4 wheel steer, new tires, new seats, lights, footbasket for passenger, new side rails, steering wheel, brakes, gas lines, fuel pump, carb, plugs and wires, etc, etc, etc

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks