• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

SRB1976

My new alternator went dead already. Only lasted a week.:evil: I was 20 miles from home on a dirt road when I noticed it was way over charging.

Last edited:
I like the folded flag. What inspired you there (like how did you get the idea for that)?
Thanks Ahab! When I took the flag down from my deuce after work I folded it up and thought it might look pretty cool.
I was raised to treat the flag with the utmost respect. My step father, now a Lt. Col., taught me at an early age (I'm 24 now) that that our flag is to be handled with great care. He taught my brother, sisters, and myself how to properly fold, care for and respect our flag. I take great pride in our flag and am eternally grateful to the men and women who serve under it and protect it. I thought that what better way to show tribute than with two of my most prized possessions. It may sound cheesy, but that's just my .02. It pains me to see others of my generation treat our flag the way they do, especially in present politics. Flag code should be taught in every elementary school and reiterated in high schools. Sorry for the rant, I get fired up about this topic.

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also applaud the photo of the folded US Flag on the front bumper of the Deuce.

As a respectful display for a static photo, I agree it's tasteful.

However, the US FLAG CODE is the "law of the land" regarding the use and display of our national banner.

I should also add that as a relatively young patriot your desire to respect the Flag is somewhat uncommon in today's America.

It is therefore very carefully that i direct you to this section of the Flag Code, and dutifully encourage you becoming intimately familiar with the entire code....

• In a parade, the flag should not be draped over the hood, top, sides, or back of a vehicle, railroad train, or boat. When the flag is displayed on a motorcar, the staff shall be fixed firmly to the chassis or clamped to the right fender.
[SUP]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Flag_Code

Thank you again for your thoughtful patriotism.

John

[/SUP]

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I rebuilt my airpack and installed a new master cylinder last Friday & Saturday. After a brand-new brake return spring arrives, I'll bleed the system this weekend and hopefully we'll be back in business.

I had a couple issues, first the rebuild kit from Erik's Military Surplus didn't include the o-ring that went between the Pressure Plate and the Follower on the air cylinder pushrod assembly. I did find a good fit (7/16" I.D., 5/8" O.D., 3/32" thick) at the local Ace Hardware, but it was just a bother. Second, the large, thin gasket for the air-cylinder cap was torn. I used some black RTV silicone that I had on hand instead, however, I don't know what pressure it's rated for so I may have to redo it if it leaks. :-?

There's a lot of pictures here, but it's not meant to be a complete inventory of all the parts reassembled as I missed a few.

Step-by-step instructions from the TMs and exploded diagram (PDFs):
View attachment air-pack M35 diagram.pdf View attachment air-pack M35 parts list.pdf View attachment M35_airpack_repair.pdf

2016-06-04 10.31.59.jpg 2016-06-03 12.52.43.jpg 2016-06-04 11.43.04.jpg 2016-06-04 12.05.45.jpg 2016-06-04 12.05.55.jpg 2016-06-04 12.06.05.jpg 2016-06-04 12.06.41.jpg 2016-06-04 12.08.55.jpg 2016-06-04 12.45.05.jpg 2016-06-04 12.47.55.jpg 2016-06-04 12.49.44.jpg 2016-06-04 12.51.41.jpg 2016-06-04 12.57.29.jpg 2016-06-04 12.59.19.jpg 2016-06-04 12.59.47.jpg 2016-06-04 13.02.34.jpg

Last edited:

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And I finally installed the NEW u-bolts for the driver's-side font leaf springs from my caster angle adjustment mod last fall.

Old u-bolt on the left, new one on the right. Notice the new one Six States wasn't able to do the slight round bend and it's more square at top. I would have anyway, but now I feel it's even more important to re-torque the bolts again in 50, 100 and maybe 500 miles.

2016-06-08 19.24.44.jpg 2016-06-08 20.51.59.jpg

Another Ahab

I also applaud the photo of the folded US Flag on the front bumper of the Deuce.

As a respectful display for a static photo, I agree it's tasteful.

However, the US FLAG CODE is the "law of the land" regarding the use and display of our national banner.[SUP]

Thank you again for your thoughtful patriotism.

John

[/SUP]
It is thoughtful of ColdWarror to set the record straight. And my thanks for that (as i otherwise didn't know myself)

And a note to you, youngDUMP: your heart is in the right place there, and that too is appreciated. [thumbzup]

Another Ahab

And I finally installed the NEW u-bolts for the driver's-side font leaf springs from my caster angle adjustment mod last fall.

Old u-bolt on the left, new one on the right. Notice the new one Six States wasn't able to do the slight round bend and it's more square at top. I would have anyway, but now I feel it's even more important to re-torque the bolts again in 50, 100 and maybe 500 miles.

View attachment 627418
The newer bolts carry a lot more thread.

I wonder if that bumps the cost?

AZK9

Finally got my replacement radiator installed today! I sure learned a lot in the process... especially
after the 2nd installation. Yup... it took me two attempts to get it done correctly.

The first time I thought I'd be able to put the top portion of the lower hose in after attaching the fan,
but there was no room for hands, or tools. Live and learn. :mrgreen:

I was forced to quit for the day (due to darkness), so tomorrow I'll test it to be sure everything is good.

My wife was a HUGE help getting the job done! She's the best!

Another Ahab

Finally got my replacement radiator installed today!

The first time I thought I'd be able to put the top portion of the lower hose in after attaching the fan,
but there was no room for hands, or tools.
Live and learn. :mrgreen:
I hate those kind of "learning" experiences...after ALL that work.

AZK9

I hate those kind of "learning" experiences...after ALL that work.
I was sooooooooo excited to have completed the 1st install... with just the lower hose left to connect! THEN....
when I got under the truck and looked up... I was stunned that my hands and tools were NEVER going to fit in
there. I figured I could have removed the alternator to create space, but I opted to take everything back out
and then reinstall.

The 2nd time went a lot faster... so that was a plus! :mrgreen:

Another Ahab

I was sooooooooo excited to have completed the 1st install... with just the lower hose left to connect! THEN....
when I got under the truck and looked up... I was stunned that my hands and tools were NEVER going to fit in
there. I figured I could have removed the alternator to create space, but I opted to take everything back out
and then reinstall.
You're a better man than me.

I think I would have ended up "losing it", and going all postal; something like this:

https://youtu.be/sByVwTHYkCE

Last edited:

AZK9

You're a better man than me.

I think I would have ended up "losing it"...
That video is crazy!! I think the postmaster might not be too happy with that action! :shock:

In the case of my inexperience doing work on our deuce, there was nothing I could do to change the
fact that I had screwed up during the 1st install. :shrugs: I wish I had known better, but now I do!

Both my wife and I could now remove and/or install one of these 'suckers'! We backed the pickup right
up to the deuce and positioned the tailgate just under the bumper. It was a nice platform to work on.

I've now got a new radiator, new hoses, new belts and a new coating of paint. :-D

AZK9

... I was forced to quit for the day (due to darkness), so tomorrow I'll test it to be sure everything is good.
Got up early to test all of our radiator install work and so far... well... let me put it this way (since I don't have enough wood to
'knock-on' and... Murphy tends to roam around here at times), E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G L@@KS P-R-E-T-T-Y G-O-O-D!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Whew! Now... it's on to all the rest of the things that need doing! Thank goodness my wife is a willing and capable Soldier B!
It would be a real struggle to complete some of these tasks without her.

Zoyd AT1

Charged batteries last month. Charged batteries three weekends ago. Charged batteries two weekends ago. Replaced batteries last weekend. Autozone 800CCA's Approx 150 per. I'll look at WalMart next time. (equivalent battery $109.00)

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Earlier in the week I picked up a tankless water heater and painted it. Got it installed today.
Very similar to what I used tD. Very efficient and easy to use. Looks like you battery compartment is the same as mine. I found that after a short time the spring holding up on of the D batteries wouldn't hold it up against the contact any more. A small bit of aluminum foil fixed that. And the little latch for the battery door seems failure prone, so a bit of duct tape secures that. I take my heater off when not needed, not sure how weather resistant it is. Once my enclosed deck/porch is done, it will shield it. Oh, and AA, it is propane powered and uses D batteries. I use a small one pound propane bottle, lasts almost a week with two people showering and dish washing.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks