• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

goodwithwood35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was just out enjoying my deuce when I heard a really strange noise coming from the dash. Shortly after that my Tach started acting weird then just stopped working. So now I have joined the ranks of those with busted Tach cables. I already ordered a new one from "Eriks" . Has anyone ever installed an electronic Tach in a deuce ? It's a real pain in the A$$ to get that cable unplugged from the dash gauge and I'm not getting any younger ! I have to get a ladder and 2" X 12" board to lay on.

View attachment 633752View attachment 633753
Great idea!!! I hate messing around under there for the same reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nchittendon

Dropped the truck off at a friend's house (previous owner actually)(called him the truck's step dad tonight....seemed to fit) to get the snorkel welded up. We couldn't get our schedules to line up, and I had to work today. He said, "just drop the truck off." "Then what? Walk to work?" "you can take my truck." YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ended up driving his HEMTT to work while he worked on the deuce.
13659178_10157331532445657_5808912239735995532_n.jpg13690669_10157331532500657_3640052685126964116_n.jpg13692658_10157331532570657_7060764138346582991_n.jpg13775907_10157331532630657_5891159206947362383_n.jpg

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Looks good mate! I'd simply pull the air hose off that fitting, tighten up the fitting(maybe some thread lock), and put the air line back on. I've never liked the routing for the fuel return lines to that "T" on the front of the hydraulic head. I put a 90* or a 45* fitting on there so the tube had a better angle of attachment.

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G'day everyone,...

Yes they are either public access roads or forestry tracks.
About 40% of the tracks that were there when I lived there are now no longer maintained and have grown over as nature takes it back.
Just part of the subtle locking people out of the bush program I guess.

Aussie.
So they're trying to ban everyone from going into the bush? I haven't been there since 1997, but we used to take a ute & go out in the bush all the time. Such a shame to have your own country take away from you by the liars in government. I guess enjoy the bush while you can.

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I cleaned up a couple jerry cans with a fresh coat of paint and cleaned a sealed the interior. Work out very well and learned a few things in prep for the main fuel tank refresh.

View attachment 633744

View attachment 633745
What did you clean the interior with? I have a jerry can on my new deuce that was used for water sometime in the distant past. The whole inside is orange with spiderwebs & the seal on the lid looks like it was painted over & is rock hard. The outside is great & except for the seal it needs no work. I was hoping to convert it to hold diesel.

Last edited:

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last weekend I added rear side marker lights to my truck to improve its night time visibility to others. I purchased the brackets from TNJ Murrays (they came painted in 383 Green CARC, of course I had to paint one brown and the other black). It looks like Erik's now carries the same marker light brackets but they're unpainted. With the existing CARC and my paint, I actually had trouble getting them to ground and work!
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

The y-splitter with the two male-to-male plugs made wiring a breeze. No cuts, splicing or even extending. I simply hooked up to the rear marker lights I installed last fall. (I still need to install a switch in the dash for the reverse lights)
image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:

pitpawten

A little late for this week but my brother and I added some flags and headed into town for the 4th. Was fun trolling along the small streets getting waves :)

Yesterday I cleaned and painted up the rims on my spares for the fronts.

One is 100% new tread and the other is...less beat than the ones in the truck : )

Also got a group shot while I had them together

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

pitpawten

While pulling the deuce up to the garage to replace the tire, I noticed what looked like coolant coming from under the good. I popped the hood and saw this

That is a steady stream coming out of a nice hole in the oil cooler cover. Did some reading on The Forum and it looks like the covers are prone to corrode through from the inside maybe wear an air pocket is at the top.

TNJ has a cover and I'm going to see if Keith can verify that it's not similarly corroded I'll then replace the cover as well as the associated gaskets.

I'll be tempted to seal the inside of the new one. Anybody know what a good coating is to resist coolant corrosion that won't flake off into the coolant over time?

Another Ahab

While pulling the deuce up to the garage to replace the tire, I noticed what looked like coolant coming from under the good. I popped the hood and saw this

That is a steady stream coming out of a nice hole in the oil cooler cover. Did some reading on The Forum and it looks like the covers are prone to corrode through from the inside maybe wear an air pocket is at the top.
Nobody likes to discover that kind of problem; a drip is bad enough.

brian s

Getc ahold of dart coating in troy michigan thay will take care of you.
We have all sorts of things coated for our race cars there.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nobody likes to discover that kind of problem; a drip is bad enough.
True.

While nobody like to discover that kind of problem, it is far better to discover and address the problem than to allow it to go unnoticed and becoming aware of it only in the forensic analysis of a catastrophic failure of global proportions.

So much for my deep thoughts tonight. It's on to lighter topics as my pillow is calling my name.

Carry on.

pitpawten

True.

While nobody like to discover that kind of problem, it is far better to discover and address the problem than to allow it to go unnoticed and becoming aware of it only in the forensic analysis of a catastrophic failure of global proportions.
Which in this case would be an overheated engine due to loud of coolant, potentially combined with poorly cooled oil (though from what I read, under normal usage the oil cooler doesn't have much effect)

I was able to stem the flow by finding the right sized self taping screw that plugged the hole (for the most part). It's hard to see due to the injector line.

I then put the better part of 4 gallons of water in it before taking it for a quick spin to test the tires.

The screw seemed to help plug the hole (notice only slight spray)

The new tires DRAMATICALLY reduced steering effort. The old ones were BALD and ribbing at ~50 psi. New tires with 80 psi felt like power steering :D

Using a hand cart to remove and position old and new tires (respectively)

This is the torque multiplier wrench I used, one handed removal of all studs, glad I got it!

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,....

Any chance you can weld up the hole in the oil cooler?

Also I got myself one of those torque multiplier wrenches and with a 110:1 it works like a charm.

Aussie.

Last edited:

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not exactly difficult or new here, but I put a bumper step on the driver's side of my bumper. It was a take off from a deuce being parted out (same with the shackles that are now my lower ones). All of these were from a big "project" lot of stuff I blasted and had powder coated. I'm not sure I saved any/much money on the bumper step, but I like easy projects that are super rusty and clean up well and basically "save" a part few would have wanted otherwise.

As can be seen though, I think the pin (which was very rust pitted) will need to be replaced as it has a little too much slop and allows the step to sag.
2016-07-20 20.37.24.jpg 2016-07-20 21.15.25.jpg 2016-07-20 21.17.08.jpg 2016-07-20 21.17.32.jpg 2016-07-20 21.17.47.jpg

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!

TNJ has a cover and I'm going to see if Keith can verify that it's not similarly corroded I'll then replace the cover as well as the associated gaskets.

I'll be tempted to seal the inside of the new one. Anybody know what a good coating is to resist coolant corrosion that won't flake off into the coolant over time?
If not, I have one in good shape. I even have the gasket kit for it too. PM if you need more info.

brianp454

Valence, Good job on that step. I want one!

Aussie, what material is that oil cooler part? You have a good idea about adding a coating. Correct me if I am wrong as I have not taken mine apart, I think that housing is cast aluminum. Solutions of 25% ethylene glycol to 75% water aren't so bad about eating aluminum. I usually run 60/40 in case I have to add water or go with 50/50 and expect many other likely do the same (these concentrations are tough on Al). Castings are often porous and some of those pores act like a cavity that just gets worse. In my experience aluminum in the coolant loop takes it tough. The orange anti-freeze is not as bad about it. As for coatings, you can anodize and hot seal aluminum and it helps with corrosion some. Usually, I recall they put a magnesium layer on cast Al to grow the oxide layer. I've found that some of the Teflon coatings, especially those used for abrasion resistance (such as Xylan) are awesome about fighting corrosion. If you call around, a local shop that anodizes aluminum might help. Another options is to ask an automotive coatings outfit or an industrial coatings outfit that does hi-tech stuff like vacuum pump rebuilding.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks