• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMG_20190105_142927.jpgIMG_20190105_142954.jpgIMG_20190105_143458.jpgIMG_20190105_144253.jpg

Helped a friend pull a old yellow Ryder truck out of some clay ruts. Thing had been sitting for years and I pulled her out of the 1' ruts like it wasn't a thing. Dropped the deuce into low range and pulled her right out.

fpchief

dmetalmiki

Well it is 'That time of year again'.
So the Deuce Fire truck (M45530c TFFT) Is to be serviced all through for this years up coming events.
It is quite a big job servicing the unit, and requires the Lube Charts to be on hand.
Aside from this, We have some other issues to sort out as the operating controls and valves need checking over as well. One has actually broken off, And is a pain to get at.
We start the task this weekend.

rustystud

emeralcove

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My first time driving my Deuce I naively/stupidly drove to a nearby dry riverbed in the high desert in Southern California to "just try it out". Well the sand was much softer than I thought and the front axle immediately sank to the axle tubes and both rear axles were digging in. The thought of trying to dig out a 14,000 pound truck just terrified me plus the shame of getting so stuck didn't add joy to the situation. Well I never have really driven a Deuce for close to 40 years at that time and never have had need to engage the transfer case in low range or engage the front axle even the few times I drove one in the Army, I sat and started to pull levers and flip switches to see what would happen or if I would dig in deeper............ Well the shame turned to pure joy and the terror became a big smile on my face as that 14,000 pounds of green camo in a brown desert river bed "popped" out of the sand and drove where I steered it as if nothing had happened. On one hand I was happy to be alone because I really didn't want to "share" being stuck but when it just popped up on the surface and drove so easily I really wanted to have been able to "show off" how really cool these old trucks are. After that I bought a complete set of manuals so I could sit and read how to use and maintain it. I know the TM's are available on line but I like to have a hard copy to refer to, and anything on line is of little use if the power is out plus I remember the manuals I used in the Army when working on helicopters, kind of a connection to the past.

Last edited:

Privatewrench

I had a couple nice red oak boards in the garage, so I put on some stain and few coats of poly. Looked pretty good on one side, so I spent the weekend doing the same all aound the cargo bed.
20190107_190419.jpg20190107_190508.jpg

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a couple nice red oak boards in the garage, so I put on some stain and few coats of poly. Looked pretty good on one side, so I spent the weekend doing the same all aound the cargo bed.
View attachment 752963View attachment 752964
Everytime I see one of your guys trucks in a big garage / Barn I get incredibly jealous...... Sucks having to PCS every 3-4 years lol.

emeralcove

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Privatewrench, I really like the look of the stained finish of the wood slates for the bed sides, I guess it is like the old "woodies". Very nice work!

tomfoon1

I'm having performance problems , replaced all filters, new fuel lines, resealed injector pump, . truck starts runs good with no load. At random can't get more than 2000 rpm when in2nd gear and up ,it stumbles act's like it's not getting fuel or like it's at the governor point. Other times it runs fine 3000 rpm and pulls good. Does this sound like a in tank Fuel pump?

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Everytime I see one of your guys trucks in a big garage / Barn I get incredibly jealous...... Sucks having to PCS every 3-4 years lol.
I know your pain. 25 years in the services (AF & MC), no way to really get and keep big green trucks. Save your money, invest in some necessary tools and when you leave the service for good, go for it!

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know your pain. 25 years in the services (AF & MC), no way to really get and keep big green trucks. Save your money, invest in some necessary tools and when you leave the service for good, go for it!
Already have the truck and no one is taking her away from me lol.

DavidWymore

I'm having performance problems , replaced all filters, new fuel lines, resealed injector pump, . truck starts runs good with no load. At random can't get more than 2000 rpm when in2nd gear and up ,it stumbles act's like it's not getting fuel or like it's at the governor point. Other times it runs fine 3000 rpm and pulls good. Does this sound like a in tank Fuel pump?

Should run fine without it

maybe sucking air

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks