• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

Menaces Nemesis

"Little Black Truck" Conservator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Replaced the copper fuel line with 1/2" DOT Nylon tubing, from the fuel tank to the primary filter, and from the primary to the IP booster pump... I used a flared 1/2" copper stub from the pump plate fitting to a 1/2" compression union (there's an extra flared copper stub in the picture, so you can see what I mean). l I taped both ends of the tubing roll shut before I started so I wouldn't get any crap in the tubing while routing it along the frame rail, and covered the tubing in 1/2 ID rubber hose anywhere I thought it may get any significant abrasion...
IMG_20181024_135759998_HDR.jpg IMG_20181024_140517495.jpg
The connection from the new tank tubing to my spin-on primary base inlet was easy (yours may be different) 1/2" male pipe thread on one end, 1/2" compression on the other end, old vs. new...
IMG_20181024_095706491.jpgIMG_20181024_110802931.jpg
The connection on the outlet side of the primary is basically the same, 1/2" male pipe x 1/2" compression, it's just a 90* elbow instead of straight fitting. All the pieces in the pic on the right were replaced with one piece of 1/2" nylon...
IMG_20181024_110820211.jpgIMG_20181024_102808783.jpg
The IP fitting was a bit harder to find than the others. 1/4" male pipe thread on one end, 1/2" compression on the other (seems like you can get fittings that jump one step at a time easy... i.e. 1/4 to 3/8, but the 1/4 to 1/2 seemed to be not as common). Did away with both the copper and hose between the primary and IP, and just made it one-piece of 1/2" nylon tubing. Got the fitting at; https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/WH_68X8X4 ...
IMG_20181024_111055376.jpgNWMDC.jpeg

Last edited:

russojap

Looks good Menaces, thanks for the idea and the links and the pics of the finished work. Makes it much easier to understand what's going on.

Last edited:

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I sold my '73 M35A2C to a close friend. It's got a good home and is in his shop getting the TLC is needed. Hopefully he posts up here soon. He joined up a couple weeks ago. Where you at Private Wrench?

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well troopers, I did some battery maintenance on truck #2. I found the cable connecting the two of them missing, so I made a repacem,ent Then I put on my 24 volt charger and am watching it charge. I realize I shall not allow too much time to pass without checking these batteries.

Attachments

rustystud

No Wussing out going on. It was just wisdom kicking in. Why work so hard if we don't have to? Am I right or am I right?
Your right. I took the new Honda CR-V down for service last week. No way was I going to waste my time jacking up that little rice burner just to change the oil and filter. Now my new truck is a different story ! I can get under that thing fine. :D

I just realized saying my car is a "rice burner" could be offensive to some viewers. So to prevent any unwanted negative comments lets just say it is a "alternate fuel burner" instead !

Last edited:

77 AMG

Don't be so quick there, Rustystud. My Korean wife of almost 29 years calls both HER Honda CR-V and my Geo Tracker Rice-burners. She does, however, less-fondly refer to my 1975 F250 CrewCab with a swapped in 6.9 idi as "the drool happy slobber monster." Goes with the territory, I guess.

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What do you do when you have a spare winch in your garage? Install it ! I shall not be embarrased to tell you I had to be told that you must turn the front bumber upside down Here I am getting all the parts topgether, oh, and I found a 155 MM round in the back, is it alive? And i will use the tools approvede by General Patton...NO AIR TOOLS !

Attachments

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What do you do when you have a spare winch in your garage? Install it ! I shall not be embarrased to tell you I had to be told that you must turn the front bumber upside down Here I am getting all the parts topgether, oh, and I found a 155 MM round in the back, is it alive? And i will use the tools approvede by General Patton...NO AIR TOOLS !
whatadeuce, you can keep all the other stuff. I'd just like to have a garage for my deuce........I'm tired of working in the driveway!!!

goodwithwood35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hand tools to flip the bumper and install a winch? Have fun, there’s about 100 fine thread bolts that have been stuck there for 50 years and been stretched, bent, corroded, painted over, and gunned on. You’re gonna hate life after about 3. But I commend your patience, you’re a better man than me! Break out the kroil!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rustystud

whatadeuce, you can keep all the other stuff. I'd just like to have a garage for my deuce........I'm tired of working in the driveway!!!
You and me both ! I've been waiting for the country to approve my building permit for the new shop now since May. Now it's looking like it will be June 2019 before they give their final approval. :(

rustystud

Uh... With the alcohol content in SAKE (also spelled SAKI, pronounced "Sah-key") a Japanese rice wine, I must wonder if it'll burn as an alternative fuel in a Multi-Fuel Engine? If so, I guess that would make any MF powered Deuce a RICE BURNER as well, huh?

WIKI: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sake
You bring up an interesting point. Saki is about 80 proof correct ? At that level of alcohol it would not burn enough to fire up the multifuel. You would need a pure alcohol at about 190 proof. The problem then becomes the lubricity issues. It would burn up the injection pump and injectors in about an half an hour if that. You can make a mixture of 85% diesel and 15%percent pure alcohol that will burn OK. They have run this mixture in India. Though they still need extra additives for the injection pump and injectors. So for the initial question of "is the multifuel engine a rice burner" the answer would be no.
It is fun to mess around with questions like that isn't it. Kinda makes you go "hummmmm" is that possible ?

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
whataduece, If your going to install the winch PTO, here is the TM 9-2520-246-34P It covers Transmissions, Transfers, PTOs. Getting your PTO shimmed correctly is important!! Good Luck with your project.

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello goodwithwood35, i do have a magic potion for these old fasteners its 50% acetone mixed with 50% tranny fluid. Helps dealing with them alot. I also have pipe extentions to put over my breaker bars. Remem,ber , I was born in the 82 AIRBORN motor pool !

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Im a strong paratrooper, but I thought it best to use my engine crane to lower the bumber.
I also found most of the new fasteners I will need, all grade 8. i ordered the lock washers too.
And heres a picture of my "power tool", its an oldie, and I think it was used to fix WW1 tanks !

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks