• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

fpchief

On my 72 M35a2, I dropped the tank because when I dropped a barrel pump down in it the other day to suck some fuel out, the bottom felt spongy. Figured it was growth. Got most all the growth out, robbed the sending unit from my M109a3 ( it's tank is getting a new bottom welded on) and now I have a clean tank and a fuel gauge that works.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Maverick1701

I did a little spring cleaning yesterday.
We have had a few months of stronger than usual west texas winds. I had dirt caked all inside my truck. I hosed out the cab and bed.... and removed the cargo top for cleaning. I also rinsed off the exterior of the truck
I also disassembled some extra cargo bows I had sitting around. I'm going to toss the rotten wood beams but keep the corners and any aluminum bows for my spare parts pile.

Sight_2019_06_02_190845_317.jpgSight_2019_06_02_190856_713.jpgSight_2019_06_02_190902_523.jpg

FloridaAKM

This little bugger shut me down for a while due to dried biodiesel fuel residue on the valve & bore. Once cleaned & free, off she went running. Good luck with your truck.
I might try a quick and easy check of the delivery valve. Remove the cap and spring. With some help see if with the in tank pump running the delivery valve will pop out. Just don't loose it. If it is not free and pops out then the correct size flat blade screwdriver and a twist should set it free. It looks like a needle and seat type of thing.

Maverick1701

Today I finished up my spring cleaning. My fiances family is coming in from Colombia (for our wedding next weekend on June 8th) and they wanted to go for some rides in the M35A2, Civilians can't own military stuff down there so this just blows their minds.
I wanted to re-install the cargo top and set it up in the "bikini top" style so they could see the sights as we drove around town. We had to tackle some minor hurdles caused by missing/damaged parts. That wind I mentioned earlier damaged some of the straps/connection points. We had to get a little creative but we used some 550 cord and took care of business.
We used the straps that hold up the rolled sides and also wrapped them around the cargo bows (they are doing double duty) to somewhat help hold the top to the vehicle. 550 cord also was used for this task on the passenger side of the cargo bed with the missing straps/strapping points. It's not the most ideal setup...but it will work for a few rides around town.
Once we had everything tied up and the cargo top secured to the vehicle I had to do a little repair to the rear corner of the top. I used some gorilla glue and clamped it nice and tight... so the glue can cure over-night.

Family starts arriving tomorrow. I'll post up some pictures of the truck all loaded down with everyone when we head out next sunday.

Sight_2019_06_03_171032_170.jpgSight_2019_06_03_171042_107.jpgSight_2019_06_03_171045_629.jpgSight_2019_06_03_171051_029.jpgSight_2019_06_03_171105_472.jpgSight_2019_06_03_171116_546.jpgSight_2019_06_03_171146_633.jpg

Your rig looks mighty fine!

Do you ever put that winch to work?
Thank you sir! I do my best to keep it looking nice.
I have used the winch only a few times (mostly for light work like moving trees out of the trail & recovering stuck Jeeps). I haven't ever used it for a vehicle recovery of the M35A2....mainly because I try my best to avoid getting stuck in the first place.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Careful with driving while your top is like that. I had a seem split on one of mine. There is so much material, they are not fun to put back together.

Another Ahab

My fiances family is coming in from Colombia (for our wedding next weekend on June 8th)

I have used the winch only a few times (mostly for light work like moving trees out of the trail & recovering stuck Jeeps). I haven't ever used it for a vehicle recovery of the M35A2....mainly because I try my best to avoid getting stuck in the first place.
Always better to have the tool you might need (but never use), than to REALLY need that tool one day and not have it, you know?

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage, blessings and best wishes to the both of you!!

:clinto::clinto::clinto:

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They actually make tintable bedliner called monstaliner you can spray it with a undercoat gun. I used it on my VW rabbit pickup in forest green, went on great just with a roller.
And you can get in OD green I have two gallons in OD to use on my baja bug and deuce in the summer. And a few gallons of black to do the inside cabs of my Jeep, Bug and M35. They like to post coupon codes for it on jeepforum, They will also send you paint chips of all the colors.
https://www.monstaliner.com/
Monstaliner is very nice! I just finished redoing the trailer for my Jeep with it. :clinto:
red_trailer4[1].jpgred_trailer2[1].jpgIMAG2344[1].jpgIMAG2343[1].jpgIMAG2251[1].jpg

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I watched the youtube video on how to install the monstaliner, Im not in agreement with the method of premixing the product parts a and b . The instructor suggested removing the gallon of base product and into a bag! " make sure the bag has no holes" he says, and then do the mixing in the bag? What wrong with mixing in a container? and then he says to transfer the mixed product into the bottles for his spray gun. But he doesnt show how to do that from the bag! I am not confident in this
I did 2 gallon cans & 2 quart cans. The gallon can can't hold the two parts of the Monstaliner (plus color if doing tintable). I mixed mine up in a Home Depot bucket & had no problems at all. Best of all, once I was all done, the Monstaliner came off of the plastic very easily (its good for metal, not good for sticking to plastic).

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As with any two part mix they have a pot life. They said that the pot life of that mix is six hours. I was reading and someone said that when they mixed up a batch in a can after some hours it developed a skin on top of the can. Some pot life of a two part mix can be extended by laying them out thinner so they do not develop so much heat and kick sooner. I don't know if air or a tighter confinement kicks there mix faster. If it was in a bag you could bleed air off so may not skin over and it would be thinner confinement but I don't know. Seems like if you were spraying you don't want pieces of the skin blocking the gun. Rolling on seems like it would not hurt. Good luck.
My instructions had me pour a thin layer of MEK on top of the mixed Monstaliner in the can & put the lid back on while in between coats. It worked great for me, of course here in AZ, it is warm & each coat dried in just about an hour.

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 755168
Had an issue with my soft top. The stitches holding the vinyl to the support anchor had dry rot and broke apart.:-(

View attachment 755169
I followed advice on some old threads here from brother SS members. :carnac:

View attachment 755170

Worked like a charm. Used epoxy to re-attach and then put a few rivets thru it for good measure. Just installed the top back on the truck and it seems to be holding well. It'll blend in better this summer when I paint the outside of the truck.
:grd:
Great job on the top. Now you need to fix those windows! I can barely see through them. LOL! rofl

Maverick1701

I totally lined the inside on my cab with "Herculiner" several years ago now. It still looks great ! Took two gallons though.
Be sure to paint it to match. :mrgreen:
[/QUOTE]

I have the exterior of my M35A2 hard top coated in herculiner (I also painted to match the OD of the truck). I LOVE that stuff.

In college I did the interior of the truck I had. It performed equally as well.

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 756189 I have done nothing this whole week, and the weather next week looks like more of the same. I need to do a front brake and bearing check, then paint the Deuce and the M105A2, but I don't think the weather will be warm enough until April. This has been a real cold and wet winter.
Tracer, I've never seen a Deuce with that air filter on the right. Is that from a 5-ton?

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you add two fuel gauges, one before the filter and one after you can tell when to change out the filter. According to manufactures specs if you have more then a 3 PSI differential it is time to replace the filter. That is what I did with mine. Now at a glance I can tell when it is time to change out my filters. No guess work and no more replacing good filters. If you do go this way be sure you buy two identical gauges. I bought some "No Shock" glycerin filled gauges. Extremely accurate.
Rusty, can you put the first gauge before the first filter and the second gave after the 3rd so you know when to change the lot?

DB556

I took it out and got it inspected had to go to 3 stations, even though I explained (its a ex-military truck, registered for 13000/18000lbs, old) and I get there and get a "we can't inspect that"
Though the last station did and it cost less than when inspect my VW truck only $58! Then I took it for a spin on the highway seems my speedometer reads 50mph when I'm going 55mph via GPS and speed readout in the construction zone.
Maybe it had 11.00-20's and they changed the speedo gears at one time? Anyway ended up at the rural king and got 25lbs of grade 8 for the kiddies in the lab.

Attachments

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
drove it home from the trucking company that picked it up. the guy I bought it from threw in all kinds of stuff including the compressor belt replacement tools and belt, filters, O-rings, 4 complete manuals, LED spot lights, LED tail lights, cold weather cover for the front. View attachment 758174
What tires are those? I thought that tread pattern only came in the super singles size.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks