• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

tobyS

Working on the driveshaft for my M35A3 4x4 project. I'm going to need a carrier bearing or else have an 84" long driveshaft...which is over the critical length according to Spicer.

The original driveshaft will be used for the front section and the portion that attaches to the axle will have to be fabricated. I'm having a hard time finding the weld on yokes for the large 1500 series U-joints. A deuce only has one of them in the main rear axle, the shaft between axles is smaller and so is the front. I need 3 and have 1. I'm looking for just the weld on yoke

If you have any old deuce driveshafts laying around that the weld on yoke could be cut off, please let me know....or if you have a commercial source, I'm coming up blank. Maybe tomorrow!

Attachments

Last edited:

FloridaAKM

I opened up the brake fluid master cylinder on my '85 deuce to find it about 1/4 full of clear liquid. After removing the liquid, it was determined to be DOT 5 fluid that was very old. The truck has very poor brake stopping power (not safe on the road yet) so I am going thru it all. After refilling the master cylinder with clean Dot 5 fluid, the truck has a good solid half pedal, but still no good braking like it should; guess I need to bleed the system & inspect the slave cylinders & shoes to see what shape they all are in. Just more stuff to work on in an unknown auction truck from the Air Force.

77 AMG

I *finally* got my trucks' title transferred today. Boss man had it in his safe at the house. The "Dead Line Special" is officially MINE!!!!!!!!!! Next up, a (hopefully) visit to a little town in eastern Indiana to get some parts.............. @Clinto. Mind if I drive up to get my wheel bearings, seals, and other parts for overhauling axles?

rustystud

I opened up the brake fluid master cylinder on my '85 deuce to find it about 1/4 full of clear liquid. After removing the liquid, it was determined to be DOT 5 fluid that was very old. The truck has very poor brake stopping power (not safe on the road yet) so I am going thru it all. After refilling the master cylinder with clean Dot 5 fluid, the truck has a good solid half pedal, but still no good braking like it should; guess I need to bleed the system & inspect the slave cylinders & shoes to see what shape they all are in. Just more stuff to work on in an unknown auction truck from the Air Force.
It only takes about 10 years for the Purple DOT5 fluid to turn amber/clear. It still works fine though. I've had some military surplus fluid that was already amber when I got it. Used it and it's still working in one of my cars today.

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,....

I just got my Deuce out today, the air pressure regulator is still stuck.

It clicking 3 times a second.

I gave it a technical tap with a hammer just to see if it would free it up.

I was going to give it a service before my intended trip as I have to go about 360klms each way.

Anyway it was later getting it so I put off doing the service until I get back.

Just before I got to where I was going the air regulator made a loud pop and now it hiss's and has a slow leak, then the pressure drops about 10 PSI then it pops and stops leaking until its back up to 120 PSI then pop! and repeat.

I'm going to have to take it off pull it apart and lubricate it.

Oh the joy,....

Aussie.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It only takes about 10 years for the Purple DOT5 fluid to turn amber/clear. It still works fine though. I've had some military surplus fluid that was already amber when I got it. Used it and it's still working in one of my cars today.
Yup!

Our Deuce, rebuilt at Toole Depot in 1991 still brakes just fine with the brake fluid put in her then. When we first got her in 2010 I had to top off the reservoir. It was only about 1/4" low. And since then it has not gone down appreciably.
BTW, the only purple in the system now is the tiny bit I added... which diluted quickly.

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMG_20190419_110802.jpg
Changed my oil for the first time and switched to spin on filters!

Negative note: 7 gal came out of her... It wasn't diluted like it had fuel in it though. Probably some dumb butt before me filled it up too much.

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,....

Well here I am out in the middle of nowhere, I find a couple of bolts need tightening, the ones that hold the vented metal guard in the drivers side wheel well because you can hear the metal vibrations, so I tightened them up and now I can hear an occasional squeak from behind the cab under the bed somewhere now,....

On the way out here I think I had a queue behind me just over a kilometre long at one point.

I might see if I can beat my record on the return trip!
;)

Aussie.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Working on the driveshaft for my M35A3 4x4 project. I'm going to need a carrier bearing or else have an 84" long driveshaft...which is over the critical length according to Spicer.

The original driveshaft will be used for the front section and the portion that attaches to the axle will have to be fabricated. I'm having a hard time finding the weld on yokes for the large 1500 series U-joints. A deuce only has one of them in the main rear axle, the shaft between axles is smaller and so is the front. I need 3 and have 1. I'm looking for just the weld on yoke

If you have any old deuce driveshafts laying around that the weld on yoke could be cut off, please let me know....or if you have a commercial source, I'm coming up blank. Maybe tomorrow!
Just now saw a place for your parts
post 44 and on in here
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?184769-Quad-Cab/page2

tobyS

Just now saw a place for your parts
post 44 and on in here
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?184769-Quad-Cab/page2
Yea like that....If you notice, his driveshaft guy used a different type of yoke and the U-joint has no plates on the outside on that yoke. That is something I didn't come up with when planning my driveshaft. C & C said that they have went to the 1480 style U-joint and the 3.5" tube. I stuck with the 3" tube.

I've got (they are coming) all the parts but one OEM style yoke now. Maybe Rusty can help, he says he knows of a shop with some of them and Chris (Gimpyrobb) is looking also. Frank, you don't happen to have a bent or dented deuce driveshaft to cut one from do you?

tobyS

Cheap (now LED) lights but work nice. Fixture $2 and led $7. I'm gluing in aluminum foil for better reflection.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks