• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

fasttruck

bought another one (my 4th), checked all the fluids, l.ots of grease and WD40 as the PO never went near it with a grease gun or oil can, replaced gearshift knob and hood safety catch, installed correct nuts on spare tire carrier to secure spare so I can use the tools for the truck to get the spare down when needed. Checked air pressure in tires.DSC_0020.jpg

CMPPhil

Great collection of VIC 1 stuff

Great stuff, all you need to make a really good intercom and radio selector for your Duce. So much nicer to be able to talk with somebody else in the cab without shouting.

With a little circuit tracing you can hitch almost any combination of radios through the system. Using just the smaller station boxes I have a VIC 1 system with CB, commercial VHF, and AM/FM tape deck. Flip the switch choose the radio, only thing I've never figured ot the listen all position. Took a little work to match the mic impedance of the headset to the CB.

Keep us posted on how the system develops.

Cheers Phil

MudMarine

bought another one (my 4th), checked all the fluids, l.ots of grease and WD40 as the PO never went near it with a grease gun or oil can, replaced gearshift knob and hood safety catch, installed correct nuts on spare tire carrier to secure spare so I can use the tools for the truck to get the spare down when needed. Checked air pressure in tires.View attachment 753872
Is that an Air Force truck with a dual brake system? Looks clean!

Fatalid

Steel Soldiers Supporter
bought another one (my 4th), checked all the fluids, l.ots of grease and WD40 as the PO never went near it with a grease gun or oil can, replaced gearshift knob and hood safety catch, installed correct nuts on spare tire carrier to secure spare so I can use the tools for the truck to get the spare down when needed. Checked air pressure in tires.View attachment 753872
Looks great!

Privatewrench

Nice looking truck. Congrats!

77 AMG

I started to re-plumb the air lines on my Deuce. So far, the compressor to regulator is done, as it somehow developed a hole in it close to the firewall, on the side AWAY from the engine (I have NO idea how that could happen, when there is literally NOTHING for it to touch) and got the fittings and nylon line to do the air pressure gauge and the T-case switch under the dash. I also made sure to support the new compressor to regulator line with Adel clamps. The local Frieghtliner shop sells nylon line by the foot, unlike Fleetpride, who wants to sell me a whole (100 ft) roll, along with the needed fittings. Fuel lines will be after the air lines, of course, along with the spin-on filter conversions.
I also am adding this thing- Parker Model 500FG Diesel Fuel Filter/Water Separator- it has a 10 Micron filter in it, along with a "pop" out for emergency fuel bypass. I got it for $5 back at KAMO last year.

Attachments

Last edited:

CHIEFSONN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I flew home to New York this week in hopes to have my truck transported to North Carolina to have the duel break system installed onto my truck. unfortunately it could not happen..But I was able to spend some time and a short drive around the blocks. I know it doesn't sound like a lot but being 700+ miles away it was great to drive her.

And when she makes it down here I was able to purchase during the Christmas holidays a brand new C turbo....

Last edited:

77 AMG

CHIEFSONN, in my limited time in owning a Deuce, ANY wheel time is GOOD time! I manage to drive min around the yard at work about every other week, and I still get excited about it. I still have to begin to work on the brakes, so that it is safe to drive, so I feel your pain, brother!

CHIEFSONN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It will make me feel really good knowing that when l take it to the shop and having them install the duel brake system that l will feel that much safer on the road and making it that much safer for others that are sharing the road with me.

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well today I wanted to fill the rear tires on my M185A3, but I had to pull it forward,
The chain single connection stalled the engine
The single cable winch connection stalled thwe engine too!
So I connected with a snatch block for a dual cable winch pull, ( 10,000 X 2 = 20,000 of pull), and out it came! Turns out thec rearmost axle sank deep, so I was pulling this truckm out of a hole!

Attachments

MudMarine

It will make me feel really good knowing that when l take it to the shop and having them install the duel brake system that l will feel that much safer on the road and making it that much safer for others that are sharing the road with me.
I'm super glad we were able to find an Air Force truck that was this clean with dual brake circuits for the price we did. We got insanely lucky!

Still kicking myself for not going the extra mile and buying the 818(?) 5 Ton multifuel wrecker he had too... Probably could've got the pair for 10k but we couldn't swing that much money for these trucks without pushing my Dad's wife over the edge. (We split the cost one our deuce) been one of our dreams for decades now! Luckily my wife was all for it! His, not so much.

MudMarine

Yeah I thought that sounded off. I got a new phone too so I couldn't pull up the picture of the data plate. The truck needed a little bit of work but would've been a good deal at 5k! Had a leaking brake system with an open just of Dot3 in the cab, so you know that got mixed in.... One of the lift cylinders had a leak, but seemed like it could just be repacked, cracked driver and passenger door glass but was otherwise completely rusted free. Cranked right up on the first hit of the starter but had a weird click once the air got to pressure. Guessing the pressure switch might've been the problem. Had literally all the tools to include the torch... Sigh

Ajax MD

Well today I wanted to fill the rear tires on my M185A3, but I had to pull it forward,
The chain single connection stalled the engine
The single cable winch connection stalled thwe engine too!
So I connected with a snatch block for a dual cable winch pull, ( 10,000 X 2 = 20,000 of pull), and out it came! Turns out thec rearmost axle sank deep, so I was pulling this truckm out of a hole!
Stubborn mule. ;)

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks