• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I posted this on the sticky for the AT1545, but for those interested in the Allison tranny;

Good news. Between Rusty, Matt (mechanic) and Transmissioncenter, I think we have found an improvement to the fourth/reverse clutch pack problem on our Allison 1545 (or 545). Many parts are the same with the GM 4L80E. In the 4L80E this clutch pack is the "direct" clutch pack. New designs are vastly improved for the 4L80E direct clutch.

A performance set of frictions, steels, (caged) spring and steel/vulcanized piston can be used to increase our clutch area 40% in this weak point and the steel piston will provide better clamping force...compared to OEM aluminum and separate springs.

Darn Joe, I wish I had known this 5 days ago.

https://www.transmissioncenter.com/s...rect-hp-64-95/

https://www.transmissioncenter.com/s...bonded-piston/

Last edited:

dmetalmiki

Well, It's not a deuce..but an M45 (deuce based) 530C TFFt.
So about a month ago Driving it out of the shop..(Tight) I never noticed the Right gate selector was sticking out and it caught a vehicle and broke it off! inside the cover.
I had hoped the 'young un's would get to it, But, 17, cars, girl friends..forget that!.
So today I got down to it, Of came the levers , handles, and covers. (That was NOT easy!).
(Pains kneeling bending and reaching).
Ho hum..Then I dropped the heavy cover plate and ripped all the wires off the connections.
The broken lever had snapped of the gear almost flush with the side of the cabinet well inside the cavity, and required the the whole pump removing. (Humph!..NO chance).
A) straightened the bent operating lever.
b) Drilled the boss on the end of the operating rod through. (Pushed an allan cap screw through protruding about 1".
c) drilled into the end of the 'operating cam' 1", then tapped the 'Impossible' with my (Made 55+ years ago!) long T key tap extender, Screwed the Allan cap screw into it, assembled and rewired the panel! (Sounds Blars'ay it WAS difficult!),
Hopped about in pain, BUT, ALL is good and fire truck Is now fully functional once again.
All the Photos I took of the process did not come out!. But I can and will take a shot of the finished panel tomorrow.

Last edited:

rustystud

I posted this on the sticky for the AT1545, but for those interested in the Allison tranny;

Good news. Between Rusty, Matt (mechanic) and Transmissioncenter, I think we have found an improvement to the fourth/reverse clutch pack problem on our Allison 1545 (or 545). Many parts are the same with the GM 4L80E. In the 4L80E this clutch pack is the "direct" clutch pack. New designs are vastly improved for the 4L80E direct clutch.

A performance set of frictions, steels, (caged) spring and steel/vulcanized piston can be used to increase our clutch area 40% in this weak point and the steel piston will provide better clamping force...compared to OEM aluminum and separate springs.

Darn Joe, I wish I had known this 5 days ago.

https://www.transmissioncenter.com/s...rect-hp-64-95/

https://www.transmissioncenter.com/s...bonded-piston/
Glad I could help Toby.

cnichols

Help ASAP please!! New to the group and to owning a M925A2. In anticipation of the flooding of Baton Rouge from hurricane Berry I pulled the truck out to stretch its legs. Drove 10-15 miles last couple days w no issues but on a quick outing today started to get a “low air “ alarm. At idle truck maintains about 30psi and 40-45 at high idle. Crawled every inch of the truck and don’t have any obvious air leaks. Do hear what I think is some air from the drivers side of the engine but hard to tell when engine is running. ANY help would be greatly appreciated as rivers are expected to rise in the next couple days and truck is disabled in a lower spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Help ASAP please!! New to the group and to owning a M925A2. In anticipation of the flooding of Baton Rouge from hurricane Berry I pulled the truck out to stretch its legs. Drove 10-15 miles last couple days w no issues but on a quick outing today started to get a “low air “ alarm. At idle truck maintains about 30psi and 40-45 at high idle. Crawled every inch of the truck and don’t have any obvious air leaks. Do hear what I think is some air from the drivers side of the engine but hard to tell when engine is running. ANY help would be greatly appreciated as rivers are expected to rise in the next couple days and truck is disabled in a lower spot.

Not to be a jerk when your looking for help but this is the wrong group for that. That being said give me a min to find something for you.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today I finally put the last new tire on the truck:-D. All 10 tires are new including tubes now.
I'd like to get new rubber and tubes all the way around on my truck. I've got 8 down and 2 to go. I'm using the standard Titan 9.00X20 NDCC tires, and out this way, they sure are getting hard to find.:(

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/forumdisplay.php?43-5-ton-and-up

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?167861-5-ton-925A2-ABS-light

Thy those, the first one is the 5 ton and up forums. Also use that search function it helps a lot. I'm sorry I can't help more but I don't own a 900 series 5 ton.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today I am changing the master cylinder in truck 1. I am using a power bleeder tool that pressurizes the whole brake suystem at 5 apsig.
Deuce, let us know how that set up works out. I'm getting ready to do both front brakes, and it looks like your set up would make things easier.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I have a close friend who has a M923A2, and he battles from time to time with the CTIS system (central tire inflation system). Said it leaks air, and he's going to remove it. I got in to drive it, and the CTIS lights were flashing and the tires looked fine. You might give that system a look see. Also get familiar with your trucks TMs. (Tech Manuals) you can find them at the top of this page. Hope You and Yours get through this storm.

rustystud

Hey, rustystud, guessing that you're on the mend. How you been feeling?

Lots of well-wishers here pulling hard for your recovery!

Did you see the Get Well Card thread that Floridanson put up for you?
Tomorrow I finish this latest round of anti-biotics. This round really made me sick ! I see the doctor next week to go over the latest tests and scan to see if the infection is gone. I'm praying it is ! Don't want to go back to the hospital ! Sick and tired of that place !
I didn't know there was a "get well card" thread. Where is it ?
It's nice to know there are people who care here !

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello Tracer, And it works good because the entire brake system is under constant pressure. The pressure tank allopws you to maintain the pressure by pumping and the tank has a guage so you see what pressure your ast. I was told not to exceed 5 psig so as not to dislodge the wheel cylinders pistons. Also when I am bleeding the DOT5, I recover it and putn it back in the pressure tank. This conserves fluid. mI also installed the remote cylinder reservior as a convenience, and I shall repositio it to best access the fill xcap.

Attachments

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lockout hubs on the front axle. To be clear, I had a shop do them though I probably should've done them myself, they were supposed to do a bunch of stuff and I had them do this as well, but they never got to the other stuff *sigh*

20190712_162814[1].jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks