• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drove the deuce for an hour today to drop off to (hopefully) get the air lockers installed. Felt really good on the drive. I had to go to another country to find a mechanic willing to undertake the task. I couldn't find someone in my state, and the guy I found in lower BC (Canada) comes highly recommended but he's never done air lockers for a deuce before. I dropped it off at a truck mechanic that will rip apart the axles and give the diffs to the other guy to work on.

While I was there, I spoke to the truck shop about some "easy" repairs if they had the time/inclination. He looked rather dubious.

Finished up the 12v alternator electrical system. The 12v alternator is installed right above the 24v one, and I installed bus bars in the cab behind the passenger seat location. Covers will go over the bus bars, but they're off right now as I plan on installing a couple of inverters next.
20191012_084657.jpg20191001_182143.jpg20191001_182202.jpg

Between replacing the old battery cables and putting new ones for the 12v system I went through 26' of 4/0 wiring. I highly recommend batterycablesusa.com Their extreme battery cable was cheaper (and their regular cable is even cheaper), the insulation was better than anything I found off of Amazon, and you can buy it by the foot.

Last edited:

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey another ahab, I am including images of the 3/8" Gr. 8 bolt and the two Gr. 8 flat washers that was used to fasten and center the tow chain together. Notice how these incredibly hard flat washers were deformed ! And the bend in the bolt! They received quite a jolt! Didn't they!

Attachments

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I used my homemade tow bar today. Got the load to where it was supposed to go. Here is a report on how the tow bar faired: I noticed when towing that when I had to stop I braked too early and my tow bar banged into the front bumper , and bent it. I was surprised! But what surprised me more is that the 3/8" Gr. 8 bolt I used to center the tow chain was also bent ! Now the tow was only 2 miles, but I have lost a measure of confidence in this system !
Wow! I’m glad to see you made it home without hurting anyone or yourself! You had way too much slack in your cain! The idea between the chain though the pipe tow bar, is to keep the chain as short/tight as possible to limit the amount of slack and make it as close to a rigid tow bar as possible. Also no safety chains! You used up all your luck on this gamble. Glad to see you are searching for a real tow bar, and dont forget the safety chains with it as well! Also check the frontend housing on the towed truck for damage as well...

Last edited:

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,....

The second is in the fuel line that comes out of this bulbous thing on the side of the engine just in front of the fuel pump.

Not sure what it is or dose but I just need to tighten the connection as it drips onto the winch PTO shaft then onto the ground.

Ok,....

I figured out what it is,...

Its the fuel filter for the injector.

Well that's 2 leaks in the same system.

Oh and I have to do the oil and filter change.

This should be fun,....

Aussie.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drove the deuce for an hour today to drop off to (hopefully) get the air lockers installed. Felt really good on the drive. I had to go to another country to find a mechanic willing to undertake the task. I couldn't find someone in my state, and the guy I found in lower BC (Canada) comes highly recommended but he's never done air lockers for a deuce before. I dropped it off at a truck mechanic that will rip apart the axles and give the diffs to the other guy to work on..
Montaillou, does the mechanic that will drop the diffs with the lockers back into the axle housing know that he will have to grind out the housing for clearance?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Another Ahab

Hey another ahab, I am including images of the 3/8" Gr. 8 bolt and the two Gr. 8 flat washers that was used to fasten and center the tow chain together. Notice how these incredibly hard flat washers were deformed ! And the bend in the bolt! They received quite a jolt! Didn't they!
Hey.

WAIT a minute:

- That guy, Uri Geller, he doesn't live in your neighborhood, does he, whatadeuce?!

A1.png

Nomad1

History has a tendency to repeat it self
Yeah, that's a good one !
Where all children of our age, no matter what age that is ! Meaning, I'm living in this age right now so this is my age.
My son cannot get over the idea that I like "Imagine Dragons" music. For some reason he thinks once you reach a certain age your taste in music cannot evolve.

w250guy

Curious as the why everyone runs a separate bank of batteries for 12v instead of just hooking to one battery or am I missing something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Curious as the why everyone runs a separate bank of batteries for 12v instead of just hooking to one battery or am I missing something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The issue is that unequal load on the batteries causes premature battery death. Hooking up a phone charger to one battery is probably ok, but if you want lights, a radio etc. you need a 12V inverter or a second alternator.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Nomad1

It less risky if you run a separate battery for your 12v stuff. Just like replacing both batteries instead of just one if ones bad in most cases it will work for awhile but sooner or later it might bite you.QUOTE=w250guy;2244483]Curious as the why everyone runs a separate bank of batteries for 12v instead of just hooking to one battery or am I missing something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

SCM35A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Spare wheel completely stripped down, primed & ready for paint. Got the air pressure gauge back in & hooked up, also got the front bumper shackles reapinted & installed...

Resized_20191013_143753.jpgResized_20191013_143758.jpgResized_20191013_143801.jpgResized_20191013_171012.jpgResized_20191013_171026.jpgResized_20191013_171618.jpgResized_20191013_175958.jpgResized_20191013_182850.jpg

DB556

Well I installed my MRAP mirrors yesterday before unloading my new safe with the crane, went for a spin, found one of the injector lines was leaking at the HH so tightened that.

Then started debating with myself the Deuce lives outside I should I cut a slice off the exhaust to square up the end (its at a angle) and put on a 3.5" rain cap?

Sgt Jiggins

Potato Peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was a green event yesterday afternoon! Swapping tires out on my M35A3 for the first time. Haven't yet consulted the TMs to find out how many foot-pounds the bead retaining ring is supposed to be torqued to, but I know how many they used putting it to together last time: all of them. Wound up using the 3/4" hydraulic impact on my FLU-419/SEE to crack those suckers. Unreal amounts of force. And for an added bonus, used the bucket to "lift" the 2 halves of the wheel apart a little bit easier than the PDF in the TM section suggested.

Thank you to AnonymousOne for putting that PDF together BTW!

DB556

I know those bolts for the M35A3 wheels are on there I put one of mine back together the other day and maxed out my harbor freight 'earthquake' 1/2 which typically is my go too impact which is ~500ftlb, ended up grabbing a IR 261 3/4" from a estate sale for $20! I think that 1200ftlbs should help with the A3 wheels.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
the Deuce lives outside I should I cut a slice off the exhaust to square up the end (its at a angle) and put on a 3.5" rain cap?
You can use your favourite coffee brand's tin can (and shoot it across the yard when you forget to take it off before startup) OR put on a nice flapper. I did the latter after doing the former one time too many!

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMG-20191014-WA0002.jpgIMG-20191014-WA0004.jpgIMG-20191014-WA0006.jpgIMG-20191014-WA0008.jpg

Installed the shifter boots (Jatonka; look and fit great), installed a metal cell phone holder (for a motorcycle handle bar) on my passenger grab bar and ran the 12V supply to it. The holder has a USB port on the side so you can charge your phone while it is in the cradle.
Also installed a 12V cigarette lighter outlet under the dash with 2 USB charging ports, seeing I was running a 12V supply into the cab anyway.

I was going on some trails the other week and found it cumbersome having to navigate with my phone in my lap (let alone, illegal on the road). I will paint the aluminium bracket...but it is too cold today.

Last edited:

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A separate system is more expensive, but it's also isolates the main system. In my case, I could see myself a couple hundred miles away from everyone, going to start my truck and it won't start because one of the dozen accessories was left on, or shorted, or something and drained the batteries. I wanted the insurance of one less thing to prevent the truck starting.
It's just a little extra piece of mind. You can draw a battery pretty far down just running accessories, but you need a lot of that power to start the truck. I want to be able to run stuff while the truck is off and not worry about it.

77 AMG

I got an old and rusty drivers side door latch to work again, installed in the truck, and amazingly, NO slamming the door to get it to close AND lock- latches as easy as my wifes' Hondas' doors do! Like, 1 finger to OPEN and CLOSE it easy. I also (finally) got the nos M/C and rebuilt airpack installed, with only a simple fix (tighten the fitting better, dummy!) for the only air leak on the ENTIRE truck!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks