• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMG_20191116_120502.jpg

I'm doing a oil change soon (fuel in the oil, fixed the leak but now that oil has got to go), and I need a large drip pan due to the 5.5 gal capacity of the oil. I took it a step further and wanted something that can also hold the coolant for when I have to change that down the road.

Well something that large is really expensive so I made one! Got a old plastic 55gal drum and cut that thing into a drip pan. According to my volume calculations it should hold about 9 and 1/2 gallons.

WhoMe08721

I did all 3 axles. This project all started when I got suck in a large mud hole in the Pine Barrens 2 years ago and had to be pulled out by a 5 Ton. The tuck went on a angle in the mud hole and all 3 tires came of the ground and I could not move. That day I decided to tackle the project. But I have not use them yet.

WhoMe08721

Got some paint on the troop seats today & finished wiring the wipes.Best move ever to upgrade to this type of wipe, plenty of power and no noise like the air ones.

Bunks Painted.jpgFinished Locked Switch.jpgNew Door Seals.jpgNew Electric Wiper.jpg

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
New Wheel Cyl. & Flex Line..jpgFlex Line.jpg Just about got the front brakes done, got the wheel cylinder, flex line and left hand brake line installed. I should have the shoes, seals, and bearings installed today. A few years ago this job was a couple days worth of work, but now as I stumble into antiquity, this job has taken me over a week. Now I know why the majority of our older MVCC members have Jeeps.

Another Ahab

One thing I would do is to totally clean or better yet sandblast the housing, (inside and out) then paint it with a good aluminum primer paint and gloss enamel later. This will protect the metal from corroding in the future. Also put some "NO-OXIDE" paste on the contacts. I did that with mine and have had no problems for years now.
rustystud, you are an encyclopedia of wisdom, I love that about you:

- I never even heard of aluminum primer (or thought to look for it), is it common to find?

Just used for covering ferrous metal, is that it?
Thanks "Ahab" . Yes, the aluminum primer is for "ferrous metal". You can get the paint at almost any hardware store. I buy mine from "Home Depot" . It has a "self etching" acid in the formula so it can bond with the smooth ferrous surface. It actually works well on any metal surface but it is more expensive then regular primers. Then after the aluminum is primed you paint a good quality
FYI, non-ferrous.

Typically no iron content in aluminum, except contamination...
Sorry, I had a "Brain Fart" there !
I got a whole brain CRAMP there!!

I was not picking up the the housing was aluminum, which a close look confirms (that, or pot-metal).

So my pea-brain thinks "primer with aluminum in it" instead of "primer for aluminum", which is why I never heard of it and asked if it's for ferrous (that would have been new to me).

Keyboard "chats" can be minefields for miscommunication (even funny sometimes). Thanks, Jbulach for catching all this!

92ramaro

Trying like **** to get my front axle reassembled so I can begin installing the winch and PTO setup I picked up last weekend.
Pretty happy with how lucky I've been getting on finding cheap parts for this thing between local auto-parts stores and the classifieds on this site.20191118_183938.jpg20191117_154626.jpg20191118_165036.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

SCM35A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got some wincgh parts in the mail yesterday, top plate was bent up & I hated how it looked. Also needed to get a new pin/drum lock bolt due to mine being bent as well, hope to get all this on this upcoming Satuday.
Resized_20191118_200944.jpgResized_20191118_200949.jpg

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WEll I went to start truck #3, and no battery [power! Thats unusual as I run this machine frequently. Went to connect the 24 volt chrger and this is what I see...How did this battery terminal shrink like this?

Attachments

Ajax MD

WEll I went to start truck #3, and no battery [power! Thats unusual as I run this machine frequently. Went to connect the 24 volt chrger and this is what I see...How did this battery terminal shrink like this?
It corroded away. Gotta keep up with the Vaseline or battery post goop from NAPA.

Ajax MD

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Battery anti corrosion discs.jpg I use these anti corrosion discs as well as the above mentioned spray and never have any terminal corrosion problems. You can find them both at NAPA, Walmart etc.

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
G'day everyone,....
Well I have just finished doing a little job I have been wanting to do for a while.
I finally managed to get to the lift pump fuse, I managed to get that cover off without breaking anything.
Last couple of attempts it was always stuck on the front and I could not get it to break free.

Got to see the mess under the cover,.... ~
Aussie.
Your fuse block looks pristine compared to what I found in mine.
pump fuse house IMG_0149.jpg

IMG_0503.jpg

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,.....

Oh, yeah, Aussie Bloke, THAT is nasty.

But you got to it!

[thumbzup]
Yeah it is bad, I thought mine was bad though.

I have confirmed I have power now to the pump, I have yet to prove the pump itself is working.

As they say,... 'That's another job!'.

I guess that's where the fun lie's,... in all this tinkering,.....

Aussie.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks