• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

Another Ahab

I was going to probably clean the tank with acetone (after draining & removing from the truck).
Acetone is good stuff (plenty "hot"). It gets the job done for sure!

Not a bad idea to remember it burns (and when it does you really can't even see flame).

An extinguisher nearby is not a bad idea. But what would ignite it, right?

In the best case, it'll never ignite on you.

And if it does and there's no extinguisher on stand-by?

Well, then you got a real good story for telling everybody!

https://3dprinting.stackexchange.com/questions/81/safety-precautions-when-using-acetone

Last edited:

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A long time time ago while still serving in the Marine Corps, we had this phenomenal task of diving the fuel tanks. On the CH-53 there are two large circular panels that provide access to the main tanks. One removes the outer cover, then the inner cover and finally verify none to very little fuel remains (JP-5 jet fuel). Then one lucky putz had to climb into the tank with rags in hand to wipe down the entire tank. At that time we didn’t have respirators. The truck was to climb in, hold your breath and wipe, when you felt like you were going to pass out, pop your head out the hole and try to inhale fresh air.
in the time I was in, I dove them tanks several times but never found any of that green goo. Glad to finally see what I was supposed to eliminate.

Yesterday I finally had the time to dig a little deeper into my alleged "algae in the fuel tank" issue....and yup, it's definitely the green scourge.
I found a nice layer of algae on the bottom of the tank (I'm assuming there is some water build-up at the tank bottom which kicked off the algae growth)

We return from our honeymoon on July 3rd so I'll have to wait until then to drain, uninstall, clean, & reinstall the tank....and then change fuel filters (probably more than once as things clear out)

I was going to probably clean the tank with acetone (after draining & removing from the truck).
Do y'all recommend another technique and/or product I should try first?

View attachment 768325
fuel tank strainer before cleaning....totally clogged with algae
View attachment 768326
fuel doesn't look too bad

View attachment 768327
Scrapings from the fuel tank strainer

View attachment 768328
fuel strainer post cleaning with acetone...nice and clear.

Another Ahab

At that time we didn’t have respirators. The truck was to climb in, hold your breath and wipe, when you felt like you were going to pass out, pop your head out the hole and try to inhale fresh air.
I remember -in the day- insulating an attic space using that same ingenious method.

It was the scientific method. Worked like a champ.

77 AMG

Yeah, tank diving- bringing a completely different meaning to the old expression of "we dive at five"... I don't miss that about the Stallion or some of the other junks that I worked on.

Valley Rock

Big wheeler cat peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I put an insurance card in the glovebox last Sunday and rinsed off the back of it with a water hose today .

Been working out of town for weeks, over it

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
nah...it's my first ARB airlocker , under my shop press. Ready to press on the bearing.
Cool....keep us informed. Looking forward to details. I want to do that on the rear of my 4x4 and if I hit the Lotto, front too.

DB556

Well, I drove mine around, completely topped off the tank and found the intank pump gasket leaks if you fill the tank to much.
Got in a argument with a moron about MV's that the sheetz. "You cant drive a military truck unless you have a special drivers licsence from the military!"
Morons.....

Then I pulled the new to me and rusty liftmoore crane off the back and started using my 'wetblaster' pressure washer sand blaster, to blow off the old epoxy paint.
It works great with the fine and medium mesh coal slag but uses them up very quickly, but I ran out so I had some coarse and it works but it deflects and flies everywhere! like under your face shield....

Then I welded up a stand to raise the crane up 18" from the bed and around 10pm I got the crane mounted, My nieghbors must love me, driving my skid steer around almost at midnight!
on the rear driver side corner rear corner of the bed, I welded up a subframe to tie into the frame. But I need to get some longer grade 8 before I get that in. And a big 6000lb trailer dropleg jack as a out rigger.

Last edited:

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I drove mine around, completely topped off the tank and found the intank pump gasket leaks if you fill the tank to much.
Got in a argument with a moron about MV's that the sheetz. "You cant drive a military truck unless you have a special drivers licsence from the military!"
Morons.....

Then I pulled the new to me and rusty liftmoore crane off the back and started using my 'wetblaster' pressure washer sand blaster, to blow off the old epoxy paint.
It works great with the fine and medium mesh coal slag but uses them up very quickly, but I ran out so I had some coarse and it works but it deflects and flies everywhere! like under your face shield....

Then I welded up a stand to raise the crane up 18" from the bed and around 10pm I got the crane mounted, My nieghbors must love me, driving my skid steer around almost at midnight!
on the rear driver side corner rear corner of the bed, I welded up a subframe to tie into the frame. But I need to get some longer grade 8 before I get that in. And a big 6000lb trailer dropleg jack as a out rigger.
-while you're at it , you better get one of those "special drivers license from the military".... morons, they're everywhere....

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I done got one over for them know-it-all’s. Still got my military drivers license! I even still have my Hemmit refueler license! For security reasons, I can’t take a picture of them.

Morons.....

Kaiser67M715

-while you're at it , you better get one of those "special drivers license from the military".... morons, they're everywhere....
Some states allow the use of the "military large truck license" instead of requiring a CDL. Not the typical case with a Deuce as it is below the 26,001 CDL weight requirement. Us regular Civilians though would require a CDL to operate a 5 ton or bigger though(if properly registered at the correct GVWR)

I wasn't there for the conversation, so he still could have been a moron....

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

Menaces Nemesis

"Little Black Truck" Conservator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Morons.....

I've been told, quite pointedly, by passer-by experts in parking lots, such things as...

- The un-occupied pinion flange on my front axle is... "the power take-off for a winch"
- My Bobbed Deuce is...
"without question an M37"
- "All deuces have 8 lugs per wheel! Someone must've modified yours to only have 6 lugs"
- "If you bump the throttle just right going up a steep incline, the deuce tranny will shift into reverse"
- "If you split shift Low 1-5, then High 4-5, you can get a deuce up to about 85 mph"

No, I'm not joking. I've learned not to argue, but to just say, "don't mean to be rude, but I have a lot of stops to make and need to go, have a nice day"

Last edited:

rustystud

Morons.....

You will find all kinds of crazy guys out there when you drive your deuce. I think some did too much "special" medications when they where in school ! Then there are the ones who watched some Sci-Fi TV show which did something with a deuce so they know they can actually go under water like a Submarine ! When you try and tell them they can only go a few feet under with special equipment they get all in your face crazy ! Had it happen.

fasttruck

To determine eligibility for a CDL the crime fighters go by the design weight which is displayed on a plaque usually on the driver's door frame. You cannot register the truck for more than it is designed to carry, but "under registering" to beat the CDL requirement isn't going to work as registered weight is not the criterion.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks