• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMG_20190315_144954.jpg
I also drilled out the old pins and replaced them with bolts, found some grade 8 ones that had enough smooth shaft to clear the hinges and tightened the lock nut all the way down and cut off all but 2.5 threads past the nut. Looks a little shaky but it won't rust anymore and will last longer I think.

rustystud

View attachment 758315
I also drilled out the old pins and replaced them with bolts, found some grade 8 ones that had enough smooth shaft to clear the hinges and tightened the lock nut all the way down and cut off all but 2.5 threads past the nut. Looks a little shaky but it won't rust anymore and will last longer I think.
I've done that on many of my hinges, but I usually use a stainless steel bolt. Then I know it won't be rusting anymore. I really hate rust !

I forgot to add, install the bolt with "anti-seize" .

Katavic918

drilled exhaust manifold and tapped it at 1/8 inch NPT, installed EGT thermocouples, wired it up. The pod they sent doesn't hold the gauge properly, so they are sending another type. replaced the compressor belt and both alternator belts. removed the flame heater and plugged the manifold, installed the block heater in the water pump housing (400wt) replaced the lower radiator hose. tomorrow I'll inspect the thermostat and maybe replace it.
When you tapped your manifold, did you remove the turbo or drill with turbo installed and engine running? I removed the turbo when I did the first deuce but see that some people choose to do it with the engine running to blow the chips out while drilling.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finishing up the M105 springs for the A3 4x4 project. It's a PITA to clean and paint each leaf. Having enough patience to wait for the paint to dry was an issue...I'm not in a warm shop. I used aluminum paint for assembly between them. Removed 3 leafs and mounted air bag. The bag is offset to keep from rubbing the frame when under load. You can't see it but the perch has a 3 degree angle that brings my pinion to about 1.5 degree from parallel. Still working on a place to mount shocks, outside or inside of the frame.

Attachments

Last edited:

davidb56

IMG_0018.jpgIMG_0020.jpg
When you tapped your manifold, did you remove the turbo or drill with turbo installed and engine running? I removed the turbo when I did the first deuce but see that some people choose to do it with the engine running to blow the chips out while drilling.
I placed a small pin magnet next to the hole being drilled. I dipped the bit in gear oil and drilled at slow speed. Constantly cleaning the bit. My magnet is .300. the bit was .320 approx. I did the same with the 1/8 inch pipe tap. BTW cast iron drill filings are like powder, which makes it easier to recover the metal.

Last edited:

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Attachments

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's so easy to get a stick or something into the radiator...and that would not be good.

DB556

I converted all my lights to LED yesterday, so much brighter! Then power bled the brake, And did a oil change then installed spin on filters.
Then found my fuel line right after the first filter was crushed down so much when I saw it I was wondering even how the truck was running?

Stock bulb, then led bulb, stock vs the led bulbs I got I ended up using the stubby short one just because it had more leds pointing forward, I tried both and they seamed equally as bright.

Attachments

Last edited:

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I converted all my lights to LED yesterday, so much brighter! Then power bled the brake, And did a oil change then installed spin on filters.
Then found my fuel line right after the first filter was crushed down so much when I saw it I was wondering even how the truck was running?
That appears to be common with these trucks. My Deuce came from Ft. Irwin and the copper fuel line was crushed almost flat, and I was amazed that it still ran. I think that the damage to the fuel line was caused by a fork lift, as I also had a large flat spot on the oil pan, along with the battery box supports being bent upward so the battery box door rubbed the bottom of the body.

Privatewrench

Stock bulb, then led bulb, stock vs the led bulbs I got I ended up using the stubby short one just because it had more leds pointing forward, I tried both and they seamed equally as bright.
Looks great! Could you share where you found your LED's and any part numbers? That's a smart upgrade for our lights.
Thanks!

Private Wrench

davidb56

wiper arms/blade conversion today. im going to put a wiper fluid pump and spray nozzles in soon. it will pull little amps, so I'll just tap off one 12v battery.

rustystud

Looks great! Could you share where you found your LED's and any part numbers? That's a smart upgrade for our lights.
Thanks!

Private Wrench
I second the motion for the part numbers and where you bought them from ! Looks so much brighter ! That's what I need here in the gloomy winters months. Much better to be seen then crashed into !

DB556

I second the motion for the part numbers and where you bought them from ! Looks so much brighter ! That's what I need here in the gloomy winters months. Much better to be seen then crashed into !
They are your generic chinese led bulb, 1156 3014 24-EX Chipsets

I got them on amazon, but I found them cheaper on ebay. It was $17.99 for 10 so 1.79 a bulb wasn't bad. I dont know the longevity of the bulbs,
I just looked at the amazon review and seems somebody already has them in there M35 and M101 from 2016 so maybe their a member here and they can comment on bulb life.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017QPJFMU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by a moderator:

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are your generic chinese led bulb, 1156 3014 24-EX Chipsets

I got them on amazon, but I found them cheaper on ebay. It was $17.99 for 10 so 1.79 a bulb wasn't bad. I dont know the longevity of the bulbs,
I just looked at the amazon review and seems somebody already has them in there M35 and M101 from 2016 so maybe their a member here and they can comment on bulb life.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017QPJFMU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I see you have 2 types, one visible from the side and one visible from the front or top. Most I have found have both and I don't necessarily want both. For the military turn lights, the top chips look like they work well. Good find.

I was going to replace mine on my A3 with military but just can's spend the money when I have these available at $2 each. I plan on making a new housing that looks like the A3 but put the headlights inside and turn and running outside. Mine take the 2057 (2 pole). So I'm still looking for the side only.

When all hoopla about Amazon putting a huge facility (NY) on the most expensive real estate in the world with among the highest wages and in NY, the worst logistics, I thought that I don't want to pay the margins they need to do all that....and that I would be helping a monopoly force out other businesses, so I decided to stop the Amazon purchases. Eventually those high costs will catch up and only so much "technology" will offset them. Everyone talked about NY loosing so many high pay jobs and massive investment, but I wondered how they could get the margins to cover all that high priced "distribution". Once Amazon forces out competition, prices will go up.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks