• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

Maverick1701

Yesterday was the first time taking out the truck since I parked it for winter. Over the past few weeks I have been knocking out some basic maintenance (greasing zerks, fluid checks, etc). Today I changed out the front/pass axle boot and went for a shakedown run. The truck performed great. The only casualty was the drivers side-view mirror which caught on my fence and shattered when I was parking/backing into my yard.

Sight_2019_03_19_134438_397.jpgSight_2019_03_19_134413_271.jpgSight_2019_03_19_134405_338.jpgSight_2019_03_19_134348_015.jpgSight_2019_03_19_134355_497.jpg

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I need a bit of info that my thread has not generated. I'm about to mount the springs and frame mounts from the M105 trailer on the deuce 4x4 project and need to know the angle for the rear shackles. The springs are 47" center of pin to center of pin with no load (not on) and I estimate with just the truck and no payload will be 47.5" (installed). With a payload and flattened out, I estimate they could be up to 1" more. Similarly if the axle was hanging, the back shackle would move forward of vertical.

I went back to the M105 frame and the mounts are 46" apart. I didn't note before removing them from the trailer frame what the angle of the shackle was but at 46" it would have a back angle.

Shouldn't my shackles be at 90 degree (vertical) with just the weight of the truck so they have movement in both directions?

Last edited:

Yarz

Just based on what I learned when reading about lifting Jeeps, I would put the shackle at an angle (not 90°). On those, they are worried about the shackle inverting when flexing the suspension off-road. That often ends up bending the spring.
If you plan to use the Deuce 4x4 off road, the same thing could happen. I believe it would also be possible if you happen to hit a big/hard bump in the correct manner on the street, and I think that putting the shackle at an angle would help to prevent that.

PLUS, the ones on the front of the Deuce are angled. I'd try to match that. :grin:

Kaiser67M715

I need a bit of info that my thread has not generated. I'm about to mount the springs and frame mounts from the M105 trailer on the deuce 4x4 project and need to know the angle for the rear shackles. The springs are 47" center of pin to center of pin with no load (not on) and I estimate with just the truck and no payload will be 47.5" (installed). With a payload and flattened out, I estimate they could be up to 1" more. Similarly if the axle was hanging, the back shackle would move forward of vertical.

I went back to the M105 frame and the mounts are 46" apart. I didn't note before removing them from the trailer frame what the angle of the shackle was but at 46" it would have a back angle.

Shouldn't my shackles be at 90 degree (vertical) with just the weight of the truck so they have movement in both directions?
Yarz is correct, you want a rearward angle (or forward, if front shackle) so when unloaded (possible on rough roads, or when having to traverse uneven terrain) it will not flip forward, as that will break spring eyes.

Somewhere between 90 and 45 degrees is good, I like to set at around 70 degrees.

The only time you want a close to 90 degree shackle is when the shackle mount is below the spring, most Chevy trucks use this design.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

FloridaAKM

After work today, I pulled the hydraulic head off the 1985 Deuce again to see if the button popped off since it still would not start. Got everything lined up & when the head came off, it was still intact..button in place. That was not the problem, so I put it all back together & still no start. Bled all the injectors, even though it is not necessary for the muitifuel engine & was getting fuel @ all the injectors. After all this, the batteries were starting to show their displeasure in spinning up a non running engine & the sun was setting with the moon rising. I have posted other places all the work done to get the engine running, but to no avail so far. Floridianson has given me a lot of help, but we are still in the WTF(Welcome to Florida) stage so far as it will not even pop on ether, just knock.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Yarz and M715, I went searching and Grendel replied that the ride quality would be improved with a 10-15 degree angle off vertical to the back. The bag takes care of heavier loading then. My whole purpose in doing the spring and bag was to improve the ride quality. I took out 3 leafs.

For calculations I used 100 degree and 105 degree. Off of the truck, the spring is 47.00" from center of pin to center of pin but the weight of the truck will give them some compression, so for one side of the triangle I used 47.5". The shackle is 3.5". Using a triangle calculator I need the mounts for 105 degree to be 46.47 apart and for the 100 degree, they need to be 46.77". I expect to split it at 46 5/8".

Here is link to see the combo

/www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?186540-Deuce-4x4-with-M105-reduced-spring-and-air-bag/page2

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After work today, I pulled the hydraulic head off the 1985 Deuce again to see if the button popped off since it still would not start. Got everything lined up & when the head came off, it was still intact..button in place. That was not the problem, so I put it all back together & still no start. Bled all the injectors, even though it is not necessary for the muitifuel engine & was getting fuel @ all the injectors. After all this, the batteries were starting to show their displeasure in spinning up a non running engine & the sun was setting with the moon rising. I have posted other places all the work done to get the engine running, but to no avail so far. Floridianson has given me a lot of help, but we are still in the WTF(Welcome to Florida) stage so far as it will not even pop on ether, just knock.
Valve timing comes to mind (but I don't have one, mine is Cat)....is there a way to check it? Have you done a compression test?

rustystud

I know you are getting fuel to the injection pump, but have you "measured" the actual fuel output ? Basically are you flowing enough fuel ? Have you taken off the fuel line from the fuel filter to the injection pump and seen how much fuel comes out ? At this point I'm just throwing out ideas and see if they stick.

Also, have you checked how much fuel is coming out of the injection pump going to the tank ? (Return line ?) If your getting "to much flow" then the check valve in the injection pump might be stuck and not enough fuel is being compressed to pulse the injectors.

Last edited:

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
The snow finally melted enough for the m59 to make it out of its winter parking space (no working 6x6 right now). Other than that I don't see any work getting done on deuces in the near future.:-(
IMG_2927.jpgIMG_2926.jpg

Privatewrench

I converted all my lights to LED yesterday, so much brighter! Then power bled the brake, And did a oil change then installed spin on filters.[QUOTE}

Thanks for the LED bulb info. Just followed your lead and installed them in my truck. Big difference in brightness. This pic has the truck facing direct morning sun and the left parking light has LED. I switched out all flashers and rear tail/brake too.
20190322_121540.jpg

Privatewrench

I put the deuce to work this morning. Had a big tree drop in a wind storm last week.

20190314_171831.jpg

Cut up the tree and loaded it in the back, then pulled the rest of the stump out. (this part was fun). Now to find someone that wants some fire pit wood.

20190323_154225.jpg

77 AMG

Well, the youngest son (17) and I spent the day tinkering with installing a Dynomax muffler on the Deuce, salvaging out a 1955 M54A2 for almost anything that looked like it would, could or should fit, including the ancient turn signal relay box that actually still WORKED!!! We also swiped the gauge cluster panel and the turn signal assembly itself, along with the passenger side seat frame and the old "gasser" mirror assemeblys. We also installed a Dessert Tan set of LMTV mirrors that were part of my parts stash at work, and started installing the windshield washer kit from a 900 series truck that I found in the warehouse. Busy day, beautiful day!

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know you are getting fuel to the injection pump, but have you "measured" the actual fuel output ? Basically are you flowing enough fuel ? Have you taken off the fuel line from the fuel filter to the injection pump and seen how much fuel comes out ? At this point I'm just throwing out ideas and see if they stick.
Also, have you checked how much fuel is coming out of the injection pump going to the tank ? (Return line ?) If your getting "to much flow" then the check valve in the injection pump might be stuck and not enough fuel is being compressed to pulse the injectors.
Plenty of flow. Delivery valve checked. Could check over flow valve but I don't not believe that will be the problem. Easy to check it but not that important I believe right now. The over flow helps hold head pressure and opens more as the boost pump get up to pressure. Case in point if the in tank pump was not working we would have no pressure in the head and over flow valve could be wide open but we still have fuel in the fuel control area and plunger still picks up the fuel that is there and not under pressure yet but we still get the engine to start. Then the booster kicks in and brings up the pressure. This is when we need the over flow to hold back some pressure and have the engine run the best. With the over flow holding pressure back at running rpm this forces the fuel into the plunger annulus when it needs to happen fast. Military has had both heads off and something done. Next step pull valve covers and check valve train.
I did not have time to go play with Allen this weekend as I helped my son change out the transmission in his F350 here at the house. I am bushed but still alive.

Last edited by a moderator:

FloridaAKM

Since after checking the delivery valve & the no start continued, I decided to put the tailgate back on. The tailgate was in the bed when I recovered the truck from GP & the Air Force had put a makeshift ladder on the right side rear of the truck, after removing the tailgate for whatever reason(maybe it was the attempted push start that bent the bed & tailgate) with a 5/8" welded rod to hold it to the frame hinge points. Since the hinge pins are missing, I have to go source them too. I am not sure that everything will line back up after removing the rigged ladder & pins, but it keeps me busy & out of trouble.

Oh, did I mention cutting large amounts of bamboo before it overtakes the property? Anybody need any big fishing poles for a few dollars or maybe even free...;-)

fpchief

Since after checking the delivery valve & the no start continued, I decided to put the tailgate back on. The tailgate was in the bed when I recovered the truck from GP & the Air Force had put a makeshift ladder on the right side rear of the truck, after removing the tailgate for whatever reason(maybe it was the attempted push start that bent the bed & tailgate) with a 5/8" welded rod to hold it to the frame hinge points. Since the hinge pins are missing, I have to go source them too. I am not sure that everything will line back up after removing the rigged ladder & pins, but it keeps me busy & out of trouble.

Oh, did I mention cutting large amounts of bamboo before it overtakes the property? Anybody need any big fishing poles for a few dollars or maybe even free...;-)
I have bamboo encroaching into my woods from a stand of it near the highway.....big problem......never ever plant running bamboo!!! But they make good tomatoe stakes.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

rustystud

Plenty of flow. Delivery valve checked. Could check over flow valve but I don't not believe that will be the problem. Easy to check it but not that important I believe right now. The over flow helps hold head pressure and opens more as the boost pump get up to pressure. Case in point if the in tank pump was not working we would have no pressure in the head and over flow valve could be wide open but we still have fuel in the fuel control area and plunger still picks up the fuel that is there and not under pressure yet but we still get the engine to start. Then the booster kicks in and brings up the pressure. This is when we need the over flow to hold back some pressure and have the engine run the best. With the over flow holding pressure back at running rpm this forces the fuel into the plunger annulus when it needs to happen fast. Military has had both heads off and something done. Next step pull valve covers and check valve train.
I did not have time to go play with Allen this weekend as I helped my son change out the transmission in his F350 here at the house. I am bushed but still alive.
I was under the impression the truck would not start. So it starts but will not continue to run ?
I do know if that "over-flow" valve is stuck "open" then it will "not" allow enough fuel to stay in the Hydraulic Head to be compressed by the piston (rod) . Especially when the boost pump is really not making any pressure at crank speeds.

Last edited by a moderator:

FloridaAKM

You said that right! I had a girlfriend years ago that gave me two clumps of different bamboo, both runners. Move forward 25 years & there is bamboo over 1/4 of my 6 acre homestead. The larger of the two types is now sprouting shoots as big as a man's wrist. Every year, I spend too much time cutting the stalks that are in the way & burning them & leaving the rest to act as privacy fence 30' tall.
I have bamboo encroaching into my woods from a stand of it near the highway.....big problem......never ever plant running bamboo!!! But they make good tomatoe stakes.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Privatewrench;22025 Cut up the tree and loaded it in the back said:
758924[/ATTACH]What are you going to do with the wood? If it is still in the truck, bring it Wed. We can dump it at Mr Butt's place, he'll need the wood.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks