• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
do you have the deflector piece that goes on top? I can't locate one, so I had to make one out of a piece of fiberglass.
davidb56, have you been on the Idaho Motor Pool website? They are South West from you in Fruitland ID. and they have lots of stuff, about 15 acres of stuff. I have done business with the owner Alex Gordon over the years, and he's real helpful. They have a swap meet scheduled for May 31- June 2 of this year, and it's a lot of fun. If your interested check it out.

Last edited:

winfred

took it for a 100-110 mile spin down to and though the wildlife management area, bout 50 miles of wet gravel roads. longest drive since i installed tank drains and still haven't heard em spit yet even if i pump the brakes down to 60#, don't know if they are crap or what. caught freedom odometer pic

1776.jpgsherburn.jpgdrain 1.jpgdrain 2.jpg

Another Ahab

took it for a 100-110 mile spin down to and though the wildlife management area, bout 50 miles of wet gravel roads. longest drive since i installed tank drains and still haven't heard em spit yet even if i pump the brakes down to 60#, don't know if they are crap or what. caught freedom odometer pic

View attachment 764466
Sweet!

Were you watching for it to come up, or did you just catch it?

exhogflyer

winfred

Sweet! Were you watching for it to come up, or did you just catch it?
saw it was approaching and made sure i was where i could stop

What tank drains are those? Automatic?
they are suppose to be, drops in system pressure like braking is suppose to trigger a vent, thinking maybe the deuce doesn't have a brake pressure impulse that triggers em, or they are garbage at $30 a piece and the $60 bendix ones would've been better, when i first installed em i tried opening the ball valve for the gladhand and still didn't hear a spit, gonna try some tape over the nipple and see if they are purging and just are quiet

Valley Rock

Big wheeler cat peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M50 Water Tender

Finally got around to fixing the brakes on the 63 Studebaker .

This brake is the reason I own this truck, it failed on previous owner and rolled backwards off the road, down an embankment and crashed into some trees, he didn't want to repair the truck so I bought it .

The bolts backed off (or were never tightened) that hold the drum to the hub, they fell out and destroyed everything inside of the drum and the drum itself .

Got the water tank back on it as well and setting up a different pump system for this year, should be operable in a few more days hopefully .

Attachments

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Valley Rock...then you had to find new brake parts and a drum?

I had in my mind that the studs went through the drum when in the position yours are in. I guess they don't. Mine are "flipped", so they will just need reversed (and not go through the brake drum) to put the hub in the same position as yours.

Attachments

Last edited:

Fatalid

Steel Soldiers Supporter
saw it was approaching and made sure i was where i could stop

they are suppose to be, drops in system pressure like braking is suppose to trigger a vent, thinking maybe the deuce doesn't have a brake pressure impulse that triggers em, or they are garbage at $30 a piece and the $60 bendix ones would've been better, when i first installed em i tried opening the ball valve for the gladhand and still didn't hear a spit, gonna try some tape over the nipple and see if they are purging and just are quiet
I have those same drains... I think they purge so little that you won’t really hear them, but it’s enough to let out a drop of moisture.

Best bet would be to have soldier B pump the brakes while you poke your head underneath and see if they are purging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davidb56

ordered a Sherpa winch yesterday. I'll post pics when it arrives and I install it. Im not going to do the bumper extension. I will install it under the bumper which suits my use better, as there will be a snow plow up front that is tall, 8 1/2 foot wide path, fixed V blade. BTW their website doesn't give specific specs on the extended battery cables guage, so when it gets here I'll order some on line. it does give the 24vdc amp draw (210) and I'll also buy my own circuit breaker to match it. Im sure they match the cables to the draw, but the options are 6 foot or 10 foot. Im guessing I'll need 8 foot including sliding the tray out for servicing. after I mount it, I can get a accurate measurement.

59apache

Chipmaker
A welding shop can you supply some good, flexible cables. Stay away from CCA cables! Often used for car hifi, the are only aluminium wires....but looking like copper cables!

Valley Rock

Big wheeler cat peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What's with all the valves lying around, do you maybe do utility work?
Just junk I've accumulated over the years for the water trucks, I have more stuff lying around than any normal person would need/want, and I'm not even done yet ...

Valley Rock...then you had to find new brake parts and a drum?

I had in my mind that the studs went through the drum when in the position yours are in. I guess they don't. Mine are "flipped", so they will just need reversed (and not go through the brake drum) to put the hub in the same position as yours.

Huh, that's an interesting set up you have there .

The front steer axle drums are held on with the lugs, the rear drivers are not, they use 8 bolts to hold the drum to the hub .

I had some drums and good brake shoes left over from a part out I did last year, so the parts cost me nothing

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes to welding wire. The 4/0 is probably the cable that would carry 100% duty cycle and drop to maybe 70- 80% with 2/0 gauge. You are running cable the entire way, both + and - , not going to frame ground aren't you? It would be nice to have a switch but a plug-in, while very manual, works too.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
VR, that is the CTIS air line. While I have not had one apart yet, I believe the air passage goes under the inner bearing. They take a standard bearing and grind in air slots..... COST A FORTUNE.

It will be interesting to see one apart. I am not using CTIS on my A3 4x4 but potentially could make it a manual system with 4 small regulators.

Kaiser67M715

Moved her, about 5 ft to the right and at a 45 degree angle... prepping to take her out for her first voyage of the season...less then 3/4 inch gas in the tank prevented me from running up to the station for some petrol.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks