• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tracer, I've never seen a Deuce with that air filter on the right. Is that from a 5-ton?
A quick glance at the clearance between the front fender and the back of the front tire (extra wide) readily shows her to be a 5-Ton. The presence of the horizontal air filter canister on the RIGHT HAND fender shows this 5-Ton to have a multi-fuel engine as is common in Deuces. This truck/engine combo indicates an older model - prior to full diesel engines being installed... primarily for more horsepower.

(edit) added.....
I WAS MISTAKEN - PLEASE REFER TO MY NEXT POST FOR "EXCUSES" rofl:doh:

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A quick glance at the clearance between the front fender and the back of the front tire (extra wide) readily shows her to be a 5-Ton. The presence of the horizontal air filter canister on the RIGHT HAND fender shows this 5-Ton to have a multi-fuel engine as is common in Deuces. This truck/engine combo indicates an older model - prior to full diesel engines being installed... primarily for more horsepower.

(edit) added.....
I WAS MISTAKEN - PLEASE REFER TO MY NEXT POST FOR "EXCUSES" rofl:doh:

OK - Thanks to 59apache's eagle-eye and his courteous PM pointing out a fine telltale detail, I stand corrected on my previous statement.

The truck shown IS A DEUCE....
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=756189

And NOT a 5-ton as I professed it to be.

Now for my "excuses"...
What I had perceived as a larger fender clearance must have been either my tired eyes last evening OR an optical illusion on a small screen.... uh... that's it, it couldn't have been me, it had to be something else (I've always disliked feeble excuses).

REVISED ANALYSIS....
What 59apache spotted was the 6-Lug wheels on that truck surely indicating a DEUCE.
I think now that the fender-mounted air filter canister with the intake entering the forward section of the engine bay most likely indicated a NON-turbo Multi-Fuel power plant.

I APOLOGIZE for my previously errant post..... Please forgive me.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I really like your Herculiner install as well WtG. Since you talk gallons, that seems to narrow application. Do you have a gun that will spray it?

Re the side for my A3 deuce I posted earlier, here is what I'm doing (1/2 done). Cleaned, shortened, straightened, primer and paint uprights and installed a nearly tight fitting piece of yellow pine in each upright. Used 2 galvanized carriage bolts per connection. Drill dust and cutting the fiberglass with my chop saw was not good.

On the top there is a pocket inside the upright steel, for the top bows to sandwich the 1/8" thick metal (1 1/2"x2") with the wood and metal upright. I left a front bed access. Very solid. If I want a seat, it may go across the front of the bed.

Attachments

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Drill dust and cutting the fiberglass with my chop saw was not good.
The rehab looks real good, tobys.

You know you GOTTA wear a dust mask when cutting that fiberglass, right? The stuff is no different than asbestos when you cut it like that. Not to freak you (dust mask should cover you), but you don't want to be inhaling that stuff.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The rehab looks real good, tobys.

You know you GOTTA wear a dust mask when cutting that fiberglass, right? The stuff is no different than asbestos when you cut it like that. Not to freak you (dust mask should cover you), but you don't want to be inhaling that stuff.
I was outside and noticed the dust so took care to be up-wind for (not) breathing it. I'll find a mask. I got some on arms and hands that I should have protected from handling it. Next time gets some water to help control it too...hose is right there.

Another Ahab

I was outside and noticed the dust so took care to be up-wind for (not) breathing it. I'll find a mask. I got some on arms and hands that I should have protected from handling it. Next time gets some water to help control it too...hose is right there.
Water spray to keep down the dust is a good idea, but a mask is what you want.

I made a career out of general contracting and did my share of demolition project-to-project, got "schooled" there on abatement of all kinds, asbestos included.

It's only a real danger when it becomes a dust (like when sawcut), and on your skin mostly it's only an irritant. But the stuff is fibers, millions of tiny long fibers, and when it gets in your lungs it works its way into the little "holes" in your lungs (aeroles? I forget some of this), and the lungs can't cough it out when the fibers lodge in there. THAT'S where bad things start to happen.

Just for record.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, been through the asbestos training for my demolition projects too and had to school the local zoning in court about what was regulated and what wasn't, friable and non-friable. I made fiberglass friable when I cut it. I wonder if the gov calls it out as bad as asbestos in regs?

Last edited:

Another Ahab

You know me, I talk a lot. Funny story:

- If you ever fly into Washington, DC (Reagan National) there are two terminals there the "New" and the "Old" (Southwest Airlines is in the Old).

- The Old terminal is kind of cool (still has the two observatory domes, used back in the day for weather ballon readings if I remember that right).

- What goes unobserved there (by the public anyway) is that the ceiling in that old terminal (at least from what I can tell) is ENTIRELY asbestos. But it's all totally contained, and so Non-Friable. No threat.

If I am right about that, my guess is that the expense to abate all that asbestos plaster made the cost to demo and replace the building just too prohibitive, and so they kept it in place.

Or maybe it is just that the building is an historical landmark and THAT is the reason it is still used as a terminal. Maybe it's a combination of both factors. Who knows?

Anyway, I fly out of Southwest there all the time (LOVE Southwest). It never bothered me. In fact I get a kick out of seeing that old ceiling every time. The design is cool!

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You know me, I talk a lot. Funny story:

- If you ever fly into Washington, DC (Reagan National) there are two terminals there the "New" and the "Old" (Southwest Airlines is in the Old).

- The Old terminal is kind of cool (still has the two observatory domes, used back in the day for weather ballon readings if I remember that right).

- What goes unobserved there (by the public anyway) is that the ceiling in that old terminal (at least from what I can tell) is ENTIRELY asbestos. But it's all totally contained, and so Non-Friable. No threat.

If I am right about that, my guess is that the expense to abate all that asbestos plaster made the cost to demo and replace the building just too prohibitive, and so they kept it in place.

Or maybe it is just that the building is an historical landmark and THAT is the reason it is still used as a terminal. Maybe it's a combination of both factors. Who knows?

Anyway, I fly out of Southwest there all the time (LOVE Southwest). It never bothered me. In fact I get a kick out of seeing that old ceiling every time. The design is cool!
Indeed, Rocky. As with any containment for abatement... much like in prepping - sometimes its just best to "shelter in place" than to start mingling with the monsters that seek to do you harm.

Another Ahab

Hey, Chappie, great to hear from you!!

I ran across a great license plate holder the other day I thought you might like.

Let me see if I can rustle that up for a post here.

Stand by...

davidb56

installed a Bendix AD-9 air dryer. took about 3 hours because the air line plumbing is a pain to get to with the spare tire in the way. BTW I had to remove the air dryer after mounting it on the frame member behind the air tanks, to get to the air inlet lines. I should have tapped into the air line and tank first, leaving the flexible lines "wild", then mount the dryer and cut/hook up the new lines. A real skinny person wouldn't have this problem.

CHIEFSONN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cleaned the inside of the cab, opened the plate to get access to the master cylinder,cleaned around the master cylinder before opening only to find out it was bone dry.checked prices for dot 5 brake fluid, ordered power bleeder, not sure how much break fluid will be needed. can someone tell me how much will be needed.
thanks

Kaiser67M715

Cleaned the inside of the cab, opened the plate to get access to the master cylinder,cleaned around the master cylinder before opening only to find out it was bone dry.checked prices for dot 5 brake fluid, ordered power bleeder, not sure how much break fluid will be needed. can someone tell me how much will be needed.
thanks
I used 1/2 gallon when I did a flush and fill on my truck. I didn't flush much as I did all new wheel cylinders, master, and air pack. I also need up redoing lines after as well.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

DB556

Took mine out to pick up a order of steel tube, plate, etc. to make a mount for a 5000lb autocrane and my welder in the bed.
Well my DD is a VW rabbit pickup and the guys said "what happened to the green VW?" I replied "I fed it after midnight"
Then I stayed out too late late 02:30 I was hoping to get home before 22:00
but my the guys that live at the end of my road parked all to far from the curb and close to the corner so I couldn't make the turn.
So I have do reverse down a one way street with no reverse lights with cars on either side of a narrow road
with only my flashlight stuck to the bumper of rear lights.

Needless to say reverse light and a backup camera are being added as soon as amazon gets them to my door.

Also always have a good bright LED flashlight with you!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks