• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMG_20180908_183824.jpg

Went from my frayed fire hazard waiting to happen wiring on my turn signal to a better more safer option.
I cut each wire one by one took off all the old installation that was falling off and heat shrinked each wire after reconnecting them. Then a layer or electrical tape for good measure. Almost cut the whole thing off and re soldered all the wires into a new plug, but this seemed easier and less of a butt pain.

Torquewrench

I went off-roading!
no......wait.....that's not right...
I got stuck. Ya! That's it!
I went out and got stuck! Again!
FM 20-22 saved my butt. also, a lot of excellent folks whose names i already forget (sorry!).
In water no less, again!!a003.jpega002.jpega009.jpeg

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

fpchief

I went off-roading!
FM 20-22 saved my butt. also, a lot of excellent folks whose names i already forget (sorry!).
In water no less, again!!View attachment 741036View attachment 741037View attachment 741035
At least it is down on the left side. I sunk mine a while back but the fuel tank was under water. No fun draining 50 gallons of diesel water mix into 5 gallon buckets.

Torquewrench

There was 3 in of Arkansas mud in the bottom of my toolbox which apparently was not closed I don't know what the bottom of that hole right now.... I'm still doing a tool inventory
At least it is down on the left side. I sunk mine a while back but the fuel tank was under water. No fun draining 50 gallons of diesel water mix into 5 gallon buckets.
Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

rustystud

I went off-roading!
In water no less, again!!View attachment 741036View attachment 741037View attachment 741035
If you had stayed in the water track you probably would have made it. I know back-seat driver and all that. In the Marine Corps they used to take us down to water holes just like that to perfect our driving skills. Keeping a steady forward motion even in water will get you out of a lot of messes. Either way you learned something new ! Like how to get out of a messy jam hanging in water.

rustystud

That's why I always close the fuel tank cap valve when playing in the woods. In fact I pretty much keep it closed all the time since I installed my fording system.

Torquewrench

If you had stayed in the water track you probably would have made it. I know back-seat driver and all that. In the Marine Corps they used to take us down to water holes just like that to perfect our driving skills. Keeping a steady forward motion even in water will get you out of a lot of messes. Either way you learned something new ! Like how to get out of a messy jam hanging in water.
I swear that mud felt like gritty bentonite clay.
There was a hump down there, between the tracks.
Three Rockwell differentials prob would got hung up and then stuck to it.
I asked that question at one point.
I was told:
No. You are right, that is bat guano crazy. Don't do that.
Verbatim.
I trusted the source of wisdom. He wouldn't leave till he saw me out of that mess.
Every time I go out, I meet folks like him.
THAT is what fuels my desire to try again.
Seriously, an F-15 can't be this much hassle.
Shoutout to my new GF!
She loves Frankenstein's Truck!!
We are off to Petit Jean Mountain on the 21st. there's bound to be some place to get stuck down there. And then the weekend of the 6th we are off to the KAMO Rally!

Last edited:

rustystud

I swear that mud felt like gritty bentonite clay.
There was a hump down there, between the tracks.
Three Rockwell differentials prob would got hung up and then stuck to it.
I asked that question at one point.
I was told:
No. You are right, that is bat guano crazy. Don't do that.
Verbatim.
I trusted the source of wisdom. He wouldn't leave till he saw me out of that mess.
Every time I go out, I meet folks like him.
THAT is what fuels my desire to try again.
Seriously, an F-15 can't be this much hassle.
Shoutout to my new GF!
She loves Frankenstein's Truck!!
We are off to Petit Jean Mountain on the 21st. there's bound to be some place to get stuck down there. And then the weekend of the 6th we are off to the KAMO Rally!

Your a lucky man to find a woman who likes playing in a Deuce. You might want to consider making it a permanent relationship. I don't think my wife would get in the Deuce even if it meant saving her life ! Seriously ! It does kinda suck to have such a large portion of my life I cannot enjoy with my wife. So take note young man !

fpchief

Nothing quite like the experience of lining up with an LCU that has dropped ramp on the false beach (sandbar) about 50-75 yds from the real beach....put the HMMWV in reverse and start backing into the ocean, watching that beach master quide you to the LCU, waves literally crashing into the back of the HMMWV, washing all the gear up to the front.... being yelled at saying "Don't you dare let off the throttle....then, all of a sudden those rear tires reach the LCU and you made it, and almost drowned. Dang i wish i had a digital camera back then.

rustystud

What's worse is when they tell you to get out of the landing craft and wade the rest of the way in carrying your gear over your head ! Now that your completely soaked in salt water you have to hump a few miles to your correct LZ zone ! That pisses you off real fast ! Oh to be young and dumb and full of c*** again !

Menaces Nemesis

"Little Black Truck" Conservator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Transmission/Clutch/Seals/Gaskets and non-planned stuff...
My neighbor and I got the trans dropped last Friday (thanks Daniel!) my winch setup worked well enough. Pulled the P. Plate & clutch, and ran the nasty flywheel across town to get resurfaced before the shop closed for the weekend....
IMG_20180911_152135091.jpgIMG_20180907_123233031.jpgIMG_20180907_125949691.jpgIMG_20180907_162834813.jpg
New rear main seal, pilot bushing, p. plate, & 6-puck clutch. Also pressed in a new throwout bearing. Main seal housing hadn't been drilled yet for the oil return mod, so I did it while I had it off (forgot to take a pic of that, sorry)...
IMG_20180909_141421822.jpgIMG_20180909_150837922.jpgIMG_20180910_152816849.jpg
Gears & syncros weren't bad, but there were some other problems... had to replace 2nd & 3rd shift fork (worn way below spec). Old vs. new... Bad/old one on top has a .045" step worn into it...
IMG_20180913_124547517.jpg
5th gear sleeve had spun free-willy on the mainshaft, battered the locating pin, galled the mainshaft, and wore the shaft dia. down .005" below spec, so, had to replace both...
IMG_20180908_125721665.jpgIMG_20180908_125740962.jpg
Pressed a new output seal in the rear bearing retainer, but the output flange seal surface was pitted, so a nieghbor and I mounted the mainshaft w/flange in his lathe, and found out the flange was about .015" out of round too! but, we got it smoothed up (thanks Roger!). Even though we took .025" off the dia., the new seal still has plenty of grip (heck the old seal still had enough material to grip the flange)...
IMG_20180910_152859583.jpgIMG_20180908_100304054.jpgIMG_20180912_171106635.jpgIMG_20180913_091025439.jpg
Got it put back together with all new gaskets and seals, painted it, and Daniel helped me get it back in the truck last night. You can't see the 1st/rev shift rod sticking out the back becasue I chopped it so it just protrudes out of the top plate seal when the truck is in 1st gear. Now if I ever have to drop the trans again, I can leave the top plate on, and not have to jockey the shift rod around the floor brace...
IMG_20180913_164938673.jpgIMG_20180914_130705861.jpgIMG_20180914_130741995.jpg
Special thanks to Gringeltaube for his input, and to everyone who has posted on deuce trans stuff in the past. I did alot of studying here on SS before I dove in! - MN

Last edited:

fpchief

What's worse is when they tell you to get out of the landing craft and wade the rest of the way in carrying your gear over your head ! Now that your completely soaked in salt water you have to hump a few miles to your correct LZ zone ! That pisses you off real fast ! Oh to be young and dumb and full of c*** again !
Yea but that S$%# was fun back then, or at least we thought it was! Then, they change LZ's and you have to do a speed hump to the next LZ.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMG_20180920_123435.jpg

Scored a few goodies....one of them is set of 11.00R20 Michelins on Canadian combat rims. Ok treads, some are new/not run, a couple need new O-rings for the rim halves. I admire guys that mount 395's on Hutchinson rims with adapter plates all by themselves. I find even the 11.00R20 make me grunt when I have to stand one up from laying flat on the ground! Maybe I'm a wimp!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks