• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

77 AMG

YEP!!!!! Looking like about 2-3 will be left after I claim mine. I will be going back there on Saturday with my 17 yr old son to pull them off of the selves and inventory them. Pictures will be taken and posted up, of course.

77 AMG

Okay. The family has agreed on the name for the Deuce. It is now, officially and for ever more, to be known as the "Dead Line Special" in tribute of it being claimed and recovered from an effectual Dead Line of stuff.

fpchief

On my deuce tractor, I went with army forest green which is the green In the 4 color woodland camouflage, not period corect but I liked it!
Vietnam Era 383 green may be the color your looking for.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
I tried Forrest green on one of my MV"s and it just didn't work. It looks great on yours though!! I am thinking about doing some sort of tiger stripe on my M109.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Added the chain to the end of the winch cable. Added oil to the winch left reserviopr, and it is leaking , probably from the seal on the gear in and out selector. Shall I change it, or shall I add a deal leak rerpair fluid?

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I found out why the drum is so tight. I noticed three assembly points that are severly bemt, first the plate ontop which has the nameplats, it is bowed upwars, second the bottom crossbar that goes from one oil reservior to anaother, it is bent too, and thirdly, the rearmost crossover plate is bowed.
so the distance between the two oil reserviors is shortened, and therefors exerting pressuree on the drum! I shall demonnt the winch and heat and hammer these plates straight! General patton has agreed to assisit me!

Attachments

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,....

Darn,.... sorry to hear your winch has been abused, I hope you straightening those pieces fix's it.

I was going to suggest that maybe the cable brake maybe partially on and need undoing,....

Aussie.

Menaces Nemesis

"Little Black Truck" Conservator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Replaced the Newstar brand, zipper-type right knuckle boot... again. I thought I'd got a couple years out of this set, but checked my receipts and it looks like it's only been about a year/4,500 mi. before this one gave out. Took about 2 hours total with no air/electric tools at an easy pace. Man when they go, they really go. Had a bit of a tear in it...
IMG_20181116_135956779.jpg
THIS TIME I followed the advice of some folks here on SS, and cleaned every bit of grease off any point that may contact the boot, so hopefully it'll last a bit longer (as contact with grease has been said to degrade the boots). And, of course, I put the band screws at the top, double-nutted and loc-tited 'em, and made sure the brake line brackets etc. weren't touching the boot...
IMG_20181116_133113965.jpgIMG_20181116_134206845.jpg
I had been parking the truck with the wheels facing toward the right for awhile. Maybe that stressed the boot a bit, and made it fail sooner than it would have otherwise (or maybe the material the boots are made from still sucks as bad as it ever has). NEXT TIME a boot needs replacing, I'm going to do it over a weekend, so I have some R&D time, and I'm going to try making one out of black marine-grade Sunbrella material and seeing how that goes.

Last edited:

fpchief

Replaced the Newstar brand, zipper-type right knuckle boot... again. I thought I'd got a couple years out of this set, but checked my receipts and it looks like it's only been about a year/4,500 mi. before this one gave out. Took about 2 hours total with no air/electric tools at an easy pace. Man when they go, they really go. Had a bit of a tear in it...
View attachment 748442
THIS TIME I followed the advice of some folks here on SS, and cleaned every bit of grease off any point that may contact the boot, so hopefully it'll last a bit longer (as contact with grease has been said to degrade the boots). And, of course, I put the band screws at the top, double-nutted and loc-tited 'em, and made sure the brake line brackets etc. weren't touching the boot...
View attachment 748443View attachment 748444
I had been parking the truck with the wheels facing toward the right for awhile. Maybe that stressed the boot a bit, and made it fail sooner than it would have otherwise (or maybe the material the boots are made from still sucks as bad as it ever has). NEXT TIME a boot needs replacing, I'm going to do it over a weekend, so I have some R&D time, and I'm going to try making one out of black marine-grade Sunbrella material and seeing how that goes.
Using sunbrella may actually be a dang good idea. If handy stitching, you could even make a loop on each end that the clamp goes through....making it easier to keep in the groove while tightening. Sorta like the drawstring that goes through a hoodie. We used to make a lot of our guncovers using sunbrella.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

77 AMG

Did. Thank you for this.
Also found 3 VERY nice windshield frames with god glass, from an M37. These fit the M35, according to my research, so, they will all be going home with me. Nice price, each- SOLD. (I ain't *ever* getting a paycheck at this rate.... :-()

Last edited:

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WEll todayI successfully unstuck the winch drum! And the bowed crossmembers was the problem, as I expected. But forst I took everyones advise and checked , loosened the free wheeling brake band. It is now lose and in serviceable cionditionm

Next I used my engine crane and lifted straight the botton cross piap-bar. Next I heavy hamered the top cross plate. Last I assebled my come-a-long and pulled the rearmost crossmember better, Now the drum is completely free ! Hooray!
I wanted to use heat rather than work the metal cold, but it was all too close to the radiator. Also the chain I used is only 7/32".....dont be fooled, it is grade 100, and is RATED for 2700 pounds! Its thin size makes it easy to work with. Bought it from Tulsa Chain, and it has high tech germann grab hooks

Attachments

77 AMG

Wow. That poor winch has had a number done on it, that's for certain! Good to know that you got it fixed. I still need to get the rest of the mounting bolts for mine and go from there....

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And those mounting bolts are spaecial too, different lengths and some use a spacer....I looked for the details in the TM's but did not find that specific answer I was looking for...

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I ha e had a problem for a while now, my tool box doesn't lock anymore. The holes as you can see are walered out bad.
IMG_20181118_121714.jpg

So I put a 3/4" hole under the stock latch.
IMG_20181118_121717.jpg

Then I added a tool box lock and latch, total cost to get my tool box back and able to secure my BII $5.

IMG_20181118_122418.jpg
IMG_20181118_122438.jpg

77 AMG

Hmm. Not a bad fix, but, around some "questionable" areas, it wouldn't do much. Have you seen the "tab sticking through the box cover" style of lock mount? I saw one on the junk M54m2 at work the other day, and thought that it was a normal thing, and mine was simply missing. i am going to be adding this to my toolbox AND battery box.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks