• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,.....

Last week I got a 1 gallon bottle of DOT 5 brake fluid for my Deuce, cheaper ordering it from the US than getting it here,...

I pay $65.00 for a 600ml bottle here.

I can get a gallon bottle for $100.00 AUD from the US.

Oh, and I got a couple of NBC stickers for the air filter housing.

Aussie.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey fellas, been away far to long, looking to put a full roll cage in a deuce cad, anyone ever do it, thanks
Ah, a roll cage on a Deuce! A noble ambition.

To accomplish this objective really depends on your intent.
1. Do you want it to "look" rough and tough?; or,
2. Do you want it to REALLY be able to protect the occupants from a rollover accident?

If, #1, then just have a ball winging it.

HOWEVER, IF #2, then you've got a pretty hefty structural engineering challenge ahead of you.
Plain ol' 2" Steel Tubing just ain't gonna save your arse from being crushed by the 13,500 pound dead weight of an M35. Add to that the additional forces induced by the inertia that might cause your MV to roll over in the first place, PLUS any forward (or backward) momentum forces at the time of the incident.
You MUST also look at the M35's chassis design in which it INTENTIONALLY FLEXES. ANY attachment of super-structural additions such as a roll cage will effectively stiffen the flexible frame at the point of attachment, thus potentially inducing frame cracking nearly adjacent to the point of "new" rigidity.
WHEREAS, attaching a roll cage only to the cab sheet metal itself would be virtually ineffective as any transferred load from the rollover incident would either rip the lower cab section apart, separate the entire cab from the chassis, or simply crush through the cab further insuring injury to the occupants.
Your most effective protection from what you seem to be anticipating is..... DON'T ROLL YOUR TRUCK OVER ! ! ! KNOW your vehicle's performance envelope and DO NOT VIOLATE those parameters - EVER!

Adding an inadequately engineered roll cage to any MV would, from the psychological perspective, provide a FALSE SENSE OF SECURITY for the occupants, thus opening the roll cage installer to tremendous LEGAL LIABILITY for any subsequent injury or death.

From my structural engineering experience, and In My Humble Opinion, in theory your idea might sound great, but in application you're farting in the breeze (and I say that in the most caring way possible).

Last edited:

tobyS

I want a hard top and plan to make a frame that would incorporate enough strength to stand a chance in a roll over and even more, that I can work off of, standing on it.

Of coarse any fabbed steel roof would have some support, but a frame that goes down and attaches with through bolts to the cab frame, plus a healthy plate thickness of sheet stock, would go a long way to prevent getting crushed, in my opinion.

The design will resemble a HEMTT, probably not round like a hard top. I hope it does not look like a frankencab however (they do have the ROPS).

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Eastern makes a brush truck:
With all due respect, Sir, this photo shows BRUSH GUARDING - NOT rollover protection!

Brush Fire Trucks regularly navigate through BRUSH (Imagine that!) and tree branches. The CAGE pictured is not of adequate structural strength to protect the occupants of the vehicle if overturned. It will, however, spread vegetative growth away from the portions of the truck that someone determined need such protection.

PLEASE do not be deceived!!! DO NOT get that FALSE SENSE OF PROTECTION by thinking that THAT might be a "roll cage".

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Norwegian Deuce variant M621 had a basic ROPS that replaced the first bow over the bed. Pics courtesy of cranetruck and clinto.

m621 6x6 rop.jpgm621 6x6.jpegM621roll.jpg

The massive steel bow is braced back to the outside of the bed sides. Probably works for slow speed rollovers.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try “european truck trials” or “europa truck trials”. It’s a wormhole, I don’t think theres just one good link.

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One cannot 100% avoid rollovers. Someone pulls out in front of you in a little car, the car becomes a jump/roll ramp. Seen it.
I figured it would become a splat on the windshield, a hood ornament, or a bumper dent. Maybe you should install a cow catcher to brush these car ramp candidates out of your way. :mrgreen::naner::driver:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks