• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

SCM35A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Going to posting old girl up for sale soon, so over the weekend I did some maintenance. Changed out the starter solenoid, new air filter & bleed the brakes...
IMG_20190819_113238_477.jpgIMG_20190819_113238_484.jpgIMG_20190819_113238_481.jpgResized_20190818_173820.jpg

Another Ahab

Going to posting old girl up for sale soon, so over the weekend I did some maintenance. Changed out the starter solenoid, new air filter & bleed the brakes...
View attachment 773717
I hope that is something you want to do. Nice looking truck.
Second to he motion by tobyS, nice truck, and hoping he is right about wanting to unload.

Is this the last of your Green Iron?

Kaiser67M715

Wondering if someone can confirm the size of the oil pressure sender fitting? I can't find any info, but I need to install a T, so I need to know if it's 1/4 or 1/8npt

Thanks

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wondering if someone can confirm the size of the oil pressure sender fitting? I can't find any info, but I need to install a T, so I need to know if it's 1/4 or 1/8npt

Thanks

The sender is NSN 6620008144770 for the 60 PSI and NSN 6620009935546 for the 120 PSI and it is 1/4 inch pipe thread for both.

emeralcove

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Privatewrench, I never though of a steering wheel cover and at $20 it would be on par with the cost to epoxy the cracks, sanding, using tape or something to make a form and of course one at a time since the epoxy will want sag/flow until it sets up. I will look into that. I did find one for $22.95 plus shipping. It is black leather, which is surprising that OD Green wasn't an option, LOL. In the mean time I did opt for the real easy route and taped up the cracks with electricians tape, the picture doesn't show it that well or maybe it isn't bad because it doesn't show that well, regardless it does show I can be cheap!!! steering wheel taped.jpg Now I can at least turn it with out fear of having the "M35 wood chipper" making dog food out of my hands. May still get the leather cover if I can get a little more info on it.

Another Ahab

Privatewrench, I never though of a steering wheel cover and at $20 it would be on par with the cost to epoxy the cracks, sanding, using tape or something to make a form and of course one at a time since the epoxy will want sag/flow until it sets up. I will look into that.
There is an epoxy product that comes in a putty form that might work for you:

- it's a two-part system that is clay-like and eliminates the liquid epoxy problem.

It's pretty common and inexpensive ($7+/=), in any plumbing supply, big-box hardware or marine store. Might be worth a try.

AAA.jpg

Last edited:

emeralcove

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ahab, that looks like what I need, think it is like JB Weld but you are right is will eliminate the liquid problems of epoxy resin and most likely stronger because the liquid resin would be too much space between bonded surfaces. That will be a nice reasonably priced experiment. Regardless it will be better than what is there (or missing) now and I want to replace the wheel with an 18" diameter one once I install power steering anyway.

Another Ahab

Ahab, that looks like what I need, think it is like JB Weld but you are right is will eliminate the liquid problems of epoxy resin and most likely stronger because the liquid resin would be too much space between bonded surfaces. That will be a nice reasonably priced experiment. Regardless it will be better than what is there (or missing) now and I want to replace the wheel with an 18" diameter one once I install power steering anyway.
Not personally a big fan of "filler" materials like this, my background (carpenter) says remove-and-replace.

But I recognize that plumbers evidently like the stuff, and if it solves a problem then the final judgement says it's all good, right?!

SCM35A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hope that is something you want to do. Nice looking truck.
Second to he motion by tobyS, nice truck, and hoping he is right about wanting to unload.

Is this the last of your Green Iron?
Thanks guys, yes shell be for sale soon. I'm selling her to help with my fathers care, he has cancer & requires a lot of things and my mom is disabled. I still have my 5ton so I wont be out of the game completely. I'm going to put the truck along with all of the parts/surplus I've been collecting for the past 2 years together for a deal. I hate to see her go, but the funds from selling her will be a huge help to my parents.

Another Ahab

Thanks guys, yes shell be for sale soon. I'm selling her to help with my fathers care, he has cancer & requires a lot of things and my mom is disabled. I still have my 5ton so I wont be out of the game completely. I'm going to put the truck along with all of the parts/surplus I've been collecting for the past 2 years together for a deal. I hate to see her go, but the funds from selling her will be a huge help to my parents.
Sounds like a great plan, and maybe even a kind of blessing in disguise:

- Might help you focus on the 5-ton and really do what you want there, who knows?

My prayers to all of you, and wishing the power of love your way. Amen

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Emeralcove, yours looks worth repairing.

I'll need about 8 sticks. My truck is a 97....with a 1957 (looks like) steering wheel that set in the sun. I have many areas of just the outer wire its molded to. I have a bunch of hardwood veneer that might make an interesting layup.

I'll find one later....I need the tranny in first and back end usable.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know why there is no "thanks" available, but if there ever is a post that deserves it, it's yours, SCM35A2. I'm so blessed that my dad has income and is mobile (94). I hope you do well on the sale.

Kaiser67M715

It is 1/4" NPT.
Thank you, I was looking at the commonly available 1/8" npt "T" in the auto stores, and was like, that looks too small. I am also away from the truck for at least 3 more days, but would like to be able to finish my electric fuel pump install this weekend. I need the T at the oil sender so I can run a simple safety switch.

Kaiser67M715

The sender is NSN 6620008144770 for the 60 PSI and NSN 6620009935546 for the 120 PSI and it is 1/4 inch pipe thread for both.
Thanks, I have my parts manual, but it didn't mention thread size, and the Elbow used to adapt was stated at a 1/4" NPT male, didn't mention female side.

Privatewrench

Privatewrench, I never though of a steering wheel cover and at $20 it would be on par with the cost to epoxy the cracks, sanding, using tape or something to make a form and of course one at a time since the epoxy will want sag/flow until it sets up. I will look into that. I did find one for $22.95 plus shipping. It is black leather, which is surprising that OD Green wasn't an option, LOL. In the mean time I did opt for the real easy route and taped up the cracks with electricians tape, the picture doesn't show it that well or maybe it isn't bad because it doesn't show that well, regardless it does show I can be cheap!!! View attachment 773793 Now I can at least turn it with out fear of having the "M35 wood chipper" making dog food out of my hands. May still get the leather cover if I can get a little more info on it.
---All I could find is black too. Probably could paint, but not very high on my list. Here's a pic if you're on the fence and want to see how it looks.20190820_213044_resized.jpg

m561gamagoat

Lower rad hose replacement

Blew out the lower hose a couple weeks ago. I ordered a full set (7) from Mikes. Def. have to remove the alt to get access to the hose. I'm glad some engineer designed the pivot bolts on the Alt to be almost inaccessible (lol). Having a helper would've made a difference though. At least it was only 90 and humid here! The set I got was perfect bend and length in case anyone needs to do the same. The old hose was def. bloated and soft and had a large split in it. This weekend I'll work on the rest of em!7AEDEA3C-6828-41ED-B121-8C50D0537512.jpg321FD786-F038-4620-B9F6-6A3C554C52CC.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks