• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Rusty, There is another option for all of us who own and drive REAL MAN trucks! Its called THE TOW COMPANY. Yes, and heres how it works, when you break down, you turn on your ham set, space radio, or what ever other contraption you may have powered up, and call a professional tow company. You give them the longitude and latitude of your location, and presto, they come and tow your rig home!

Attachments

DB556

Went out for a drive, got two office safes to make into gun safes, I'm going down a very steep grade and I ran over a tow chain what was on the road it got sucked up between the front driver side duals and it spun around slamming into the under side of the bed till I got to the bottom.

That was fun. I also maxed out my 3200lb crane need to find a 5000lb unit.

But I got home and found my MRAP mirrors came in so I can get rid of my semi sandblasted current mirrors.

Attachments

DB556

I don't think I would trust the chain to much after the beating it got, the other end with the other hook went flying off I with a few feet of chain. But a few pictures of the crane. And mounting one of my new to me 395/85r20 MTV's on my M35a3 wheels

Attachments

DB556

Whataduece, I think your seeing the cable going to the control pendant, it a 12v system so I had to add a second set of batteries and second 12v alternator.

Valley Rock

Big wheeler cat peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Put a short enough chain in between 2 vehicles and it has no choice but to follow. Brought home an S10 with an S10 blazer. Chained together. About 15 miles on a county road.

Put the chain thru a piece of pipe and it will tow and not run into you, old loggers trick, I towed my 211 home that way .

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank Valley Rock, And I already am thinking of a 5 " piece of schedual 40 steel pipe that I use as a breaker bar, just shall check the my bigger chain will fir throughh it !I have a grade 70 chain, and a grade 100 chain...

Attachments

Valley Rock

Big wheeler cat peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank Valley Rock, And I already am thinking of a 5 " piece of schedual 40 steel pipe that I use as a breaker bar, just shall check the my bigger chain will fir throughh it !I have a grade 70 chain, and a grade 100 chain...

Hopefully you meant 5' .

I should add of course that this is a 2 person operation with a man at each helm, and the ends of the chain need to be clevis or bolt bound as the hooks obviously would just come undone, I have made due before with getting the hooks tight and zip tying back a link to where it couldn't come unhooked .

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,....

Well in 3 days I'll be getting mine out of storage and with luck will get to do its first oil/filter change 'Down Under!'.

Might have a way to undo the stuck sump drain nuts,..

Aussie.

rustystud

Hey Rusty, There is another option for all of us who own and drive REAL MAN trucks! Its called THE TOW COMPANY. Yes, and heres how it works, when you break down, you turn on your ham set, space radio, or what ever other contraption you may have powered up, and call a professional tow company. You give them the longitude and latitude of your location, and presto, they come and tow your rig home!
Have you priced out a Semi-tow truck lately ? For a simple tow of 10 miles it's over $600.00 here. I'd rather just tow the rig myself and save the money for other things.

rustystud

Put the chain thru a piece of pipe and it will tow and not run into you, old loggers trick, I towed my 211 home that way .
I've used that trick back in my younger years when we had property near Napavine WA. It works OK for short distances but I would never get on a main road like that. The liability alone if something happened would ruin me !
So for a simple cash outlay of only $250.00, I own a almost brand new tow bar which can "safely" tow anything I own.
Really, for a decent quality chain you will pay well over a $100.00 for a 20ft length. You would need two chains for this simple system to work properly. I just bought some "100" rated chain lengths with hooks and it cost over $300.00 .

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter

92ramaro

Had an awesome day off today with the Kaiser.

-Unstuck the blower motor and vacuumed all of the rodent nests from the air ducts.
-Tore the air horn solenoid apart, lubed it up, and was able to get the horns working after playing with the tuning screws.
-Removed the door panels and greased the window regulators up so you can actually roll the windows up without snapping the handles off.
-Found the wire harness for my coolant temp sensor melting on the back of the exhaust manifold so I repaired and re-routed it.
-Powerwashed about 20 pounds of chipping paint off, and finally vacuumed the pine needles and dirt out of the cab.

Feeling lucky with this $1500 dollar Deuce so far.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

davidb56

Maybe this helps? https://blog.uscargocontrol.com/differences-grade-70-chain-grade-80-chain-grade-100-chain/

In this day and age, I am not a fan of towing with a chain at all. I strongly suggest fabric straps. They are gentler on both vehicles and superior to a chain when it comes to weight vs strength. for example: https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/en/product/STRAP-TOW-LOOP-ON-END-3IN-X-20FT/p/ESN59700 .
Since you are in Canada, and im just a few miles from the border near Eastport Idaho, as in snow and mud, Im sure you have mastered the technic of using straps to free stuck vehicles. Straps stretch and with the correct "jerk" (not me, the strap) they will pop a stuck vehicle that even weighs more.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks