• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

m715mike

At least you can walk your bed without walking like the Hunchback of Notre Dame. My back kills me after having to work with my top on as the bows are great for sitting, but not for standing. The big issue I would think for you would finding a top that big to cover those. Best of luck though.

A truck that SS member nofearnohope previously owned had extensions sown into the bed cover. For the few times I was in the back of his truck, I really enjoyed having more head room!

Here's a picture from the 2015 Texas Rally >>>
b nofearnohope.jpg

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Limo duty at the wedding on the 6th went very well. The bride was ecstatic, the bridesmaids enjoyed it, & mother of the bride (AZ Congresswoman Debbie Lesko - in black hat) even had fun. My wife (waving by the truck) is my spotter & I'm very thankful as she gave her blessing in 2016 to get the Deuce (and the garage to keep it in).

IMAG0581.jpg20181006_154954[1].jpg20181006_164358[1].jpgIMAG0611.jpgIMAG0610.jpgIMAG0621.jpgIMAG0629.jpgIMAG0630.jpgIMAG0628.jpgIMAG0571.jpg

nchittendon

It looks great, I may be wrong about this but couldn't you just cut them down to the size you need?
I wouldn't do that! I wish I had a set of taller ones for when I do parades and events. I have an event this weekend in which I will be happy to have the cover on, but at the same time bothered by the fact that my cargo won't be comfortable.

Wow it's been a while... Haven't posted in maybe a year or so, but want to say thank you to all you amazing people on here, SS has helped me so much with my deuce. This is by far the best truck I've ever owned. The deuce has become my daily driver. I have a Chevy pickup but haven't driven it in months. I got the deuce 2 years ago with 10,500 mi she now has 22,000. Ive done tons of things for the deuce by now, as for this week, I felt since I've owned the truck the motor never felt like a powerful SOB. It always felt like a dog going up hills and off the line. So I performed a full service because it was pretty much due. Drained the water separator, got a couple drips. Drained the fuel tank, but drained it by loosening the drain plug then spinning it by hand loose until it starts dripping water only. Got maybe half a quart. Never opened the plug before. Cracked each fuel line at the nozzles and verified I have good flow there. So then I said well, entire fuel system checks out, time to check the pump. I have a LDT-465-1C, so I have the 'E' turbo. So I researched the correct amount of boost for the engine, and I found I should be in the 10-14 range. So I installed a boost Gage on the truck and lone behold at 45-50 mph up a steady grade ( maybe 15 degree hill) I measured 1 pound of boost. Ok. So I popped the inspection cover off the FDC and there was a copper safety wire going through both bolts and both ends were glued together and stamped US. So I figure this thing was never touched. Do you guys know if the stock setting is supposed to be so low in the power range?

Anyways, I loosened the 2 nuts on the front side of the pump/ FDC and spun the inner nut 1 flat. Tightened back up, cover back on, I started her up, let her warm up to about 140, and went for a test drive. Tested in the same spot as before, 50 mph now I got 7-9 lbs. Which I'm content with. Truck runs even better than before, acceleration is much better, and before up a grade the truck would go slower and slower up a good hill in 4th or 5th, now it climbs in rpm as I go up hills. Just wanted to confide with you all if 7-9 sounds good to you. I know I could technically adjust it more to get closer to 12 or so, but I think I'm just gonna leave it where it is so I'm not pushing limits.

I'm on my phone now so it won't let me post pics so I'll get on the PC later and post some. Can you post videos into the forum? Or do I have to provide a link to you tube?

And one last question, do you guys do any rallies up near my neck of the woods. It's what I've been dying to do but I'm from long island NY, there is absolutely no where to off-road anymore. Was years ago but now totally everything has been developed. Was thinking are there any events in upstate NY, Jersey or Pennsylvania?

Kaiser67M715

Wow it's been a while... Haven't posted in maybe a year or so, but want to say thank you to all you amazing people on here, SS has helped me so much with my deuce. This is by far the best truck I've ever owned. The deuce has become my daily driver. I have a Chevy pickup but haven't driven it in months. I got the deuce 2 years ago with 10,500 mi she now has 22,000. Ive done tons of things for the deuce by now, as for this week, I felt since I've owned the truck the motor never felt like a powerful SOB. It always felt like a dog going up hills and off the line. So I performed a full service because it was pretty much due. Drained the water separator, got a couple drips. Drained the fuel tank, but drained it by loosening the drain plug then spinning it by hand loose until it starts dripping water only. Got maybe half a quart. Never opened the plug before. Cracked each fuel line at the nozzles and verified I have good flow there. So then I said well, entire fuel system checks out, time to check the pump. I have a LDT-465-1C, so I have the 'E' turbo. So I researched the correct amount of boost for the engine, and I found I should be in the 10-14 range. So I installed a boost Gage on the truck and lone behold at 45-50 mph up a steady grade ( maybe 15 degree hill) I measured 1 pound of boost. Ok. So I popped the inspection cover off the FDC and there was a copper safety wire going through both bolts and both ends were glued together and stamped US. So I figure this thing was never touched. Do you guys know if the stock setting is supposed to be so low in the power range?

Anyways, I loosened the 2 nuts on the front side of the pump/ FDC and spun the inner nut 1 flat. Tightened back up, cover back on, I started her up, let her warm up to about 140, and went for a test drive. Tested in the same spot as before, 50 mph now I got 7-9 lbs. Which I'm content with. Truck runs even better than before, acceleration is much better, and before up a grade the truck would go slower and slower up a good hill in 4th or 5th, now it climbs in rpm as I go up hills. Just wanted to confide with you all if 7-9 sounds good to you. I know I could technically adjust it more to get closer to 12 or so, but I think I'm just gonna leave it where it is so I'm not pushing limits.

I'm on my phone now so it won't let me post pics so I'll get on the PC later and post some. Can you post videos into the forum? Or do I have to provide a link to you tube?

And one last question, do you guys do any rallies up near my neck of the woods. It's what I've been dying to do but I'm from long island NY, there is absolutely no where to off-road anymore. Was years ago but now totally everything has been developed. Was thinking are there any events in upstate NY, Jersey or Pennsylvania?
And EGT gauge should be installed to verify all is good, it's not just about boost values.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

77 AMG

Went to the KAMO this past weekend and ended up bringing back a "goody bag" of stuff for my Deuce- NOS Tow BAr (the BIG one), a full set of NOS (fiberglass) racks and rails for a yet-to-be found cargo cover, a couple of extra fuel can holders, and other assorted stuff and a stop-by to make a payment on it (lay-a-way is a good thing) and tell it that I can't wait to get it home.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Went to the KAMO this past weekend and ended up bringing back a "goody bag" of stuff for my Deuce- NOS Tow BAr (the BIG one), a full set of NOS (fiberglass) racks and rails for a yet-to-be found cargo cover, a couple of extra fuel can holders, and other assorted stuff and a stop-by to make a payment on it (lay-a-way is a good thing) and tell it that I can't wait to get it home.
Uh, what to you consider the BIG one??

Tow Bar 3.jpg<--- This is the BIG one we got when we acquired our XM818. The MSO used it on their APC's.

2.jpg<--- Here's our BIG one next to the rear drivers on the XM818.

1.jpg<--- Here's a good comparison between that "big" tow bar for a Deuce or 5-Ton next to the BIG one for HEAVY ARMOR.
Each leg of the BIG one is probably close to 300 LBS. and just under 8 feet long!
I can manhandle one end of a single leg to move it around, then walk the other end, etc etc etc.

Last edited:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Installed my green, then red, now green again aluminium M35A3 fuel tank on my A2. Nice to have a non-rusting, non-flaking clean tank. I used 2 1/2 inch fire hose, cut open, using only the inner sleeve that is fabric on one side and rubber on the other as underlay.

IMG_20181010_175638.jpg

Installed NOS driver door, replacing the cancerous one I had.

Last edited:

rustystud

Uh, what to you consider the BIG one??

View attachment 744490<--- This is the BIG one we got when we acquired our XM818. The MSO used it on their APC's.

View attachment 744491<--- Here's our BIG one next to the rear drivers on the XM818.

View attachment 744492<--- Here's a good comparison between that "big" tow bar for a Deuce or 5-Ton next to the BIG one for HEAVY ARMOR.
Each leg of the BIG one is probably close to 300 LBS. and just under 8 feet long!
I can manhandle one end of a single leg to move it around, then walk the other end, etc etc etc.
deleted

Last edited:

Katavic918

Broke all the lugs loose and rotated a few tires, Changed the Trans and transfer case oil (GL-1), Adjusted the brakes, Swapped over from the generator to an alternator, Greased it, and Replaced a headlight. Good thing I took the week off work, I had better things to do.

Menaces Nemesis

"Little Black Truck" Conservator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Installed new glad hands with stainless valves and fittings. Emergency side glad hand had been hit by something and was patrially torn off the nipple (ouch!) and one of my old valves was leaking. Didn't want the large GI dummy handles, so I just fabbed up some plugs to keep the bugs out using 1/2" poly sprinkler pipe plugs, eye bolts, and some sash chain. Took the handles off the valves so they're less likely to wind up left open by someone ornery. Have a great weekend!
IMG_20181012_170245332_HDR.jpgIMG_20181012_172255498_HDR.jpgIMG_20181012_172339453_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Installed civilian LED 7" head lights from an auction site.
They are 120W CREE. I did not measure the draw; in general, the vendors tend to be a bit optimistic about light output.
They come with a 3 prong plug in harness that is easily modified by cutting off the civy end and replacing with 3 male military rubber shell connectors. No modifications to the truck needed; plug right in.

IMG_20181013_183342_hdr.jpgIMG_20181013_183356_hdr.jpg

Light is excellent and my main reason was the iffy life span of the surplus TruckLite military LED head lights. If you want to go full on military, buy the J.W Speaker head lights (at triple or quadruple the cost).
This setup cost $60 per side.

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,....

Went and picked up my package being held at customs that has my NOS Never used Whistler turbo!

Yep,... I finally got one!

"I love it when a plan comes together,...."

Aussie.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks