• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

Menaces Nemesis

"Little Black Truck" Conservator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had a leaking pinion seal, so took the pinion flange, and a spare one, to a neighbor's house to have the grooves and pits removed and polished out on the lathe, like in Clinto's post here;
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...any-pointers&p=1509490&viewfull=1#post1509490
Had to remove about 0.015" off the dia. to get all the rust pits and grooves out. Now the shaft is the exact right size (2.362"/60mm) for using a 60x85x10-12 metric seal. However, I tried a standard-sized seal on the polished flange, and it has plenty of tension on the seal surface. So, I'll install with the standard seal first, and if it leaks, Ill get a 60x85x10-12 metric seal like recommended in Clinto's post.
IMG_20181118_152553773.jpgIMG_20181118_150847969_HDR.jpg
Painted up and ready to go...
IMG_20181118_181528728_HDR.jpgIMG_20181118_181046508_HDR.jpg
Polishing out the defects like this costs me virtually nothing, as no speedi-sleeve is needed. It only took us about an hour to do both flanges, and my neighbor's help was completely free of charge (besides, I like spending time with Roger, he's a very decent man). And, now I know the seal surface is perfectly round (speedi sleeves are very thin, and telegraph any runout and high-spots right back out onto the new seal surface). The most I may have to spend is $20 to get 2 60x85x10-12 metric seals, opposed to around $100 for two speedi-sleeves AND new seals. Many thanks to Clinto, Gringeltaube, and my neighbor Roger.

Last edited:

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMG_20181122_100506.jpg
Well I wanted to put a handle on my hood, so I took a frame handle off, stripped it and painted it.

Then I went to drill the holes and promptly put a hole through my radiator on the second hole.....

So now I either need a new radiator or have to figure out how to fix a hole I drilled into it ....... Feel really smart right now.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
View attachment 748880
Well I wanted to put a handle on my hood, so I took a frame handle off, stripped it and painted it.

Then I went to drill the holes and promptly put a hole through my radiator on the second hole.....

So now I either need a new radiator or have to figure out how to fix a hole I drilled into it ....... Feel really smart right now.
If I did that I'd never tell anyone about it.:whistle:
You can probably get that fixed for a whole lot cheaper than replacing it.

winfred

that'll be easily fixable by a radiator repair shop with solder, or if you are experienced in the technique by you. would need to drain low enough and could be done in place in that situation, i would not suggest that as a starter project though if you don't know how to solder though

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WEll today I organized my fastener section. I realize in this winch installation that I have plenty of patience to do each part of ther work. But I do not have patientce for looking for the correct fastener. And IT MUST BE THE RIGHT ONE !

Attachments

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Theres more to the correct use of fasteners. The manufacturer of the fastener determins its claim of strength.
For example, chinese grade 8 does not live up to the standards set for grade 8. American made grade 8 does meet those standards.

When you but " grade 8" in the local hardware store, its from Chine. In order to get full strength grade 8 you must buy from a supplier who identifies his merchandise as american msed. THere is a story of the race car engine rebuilder who used grade 16 fron chhina, athe story goes as the segine was place under heavy load, the heads on the chinese bolts blew off.

If authenicity is important to you, check out the source of your fasteners.
In the second image I have siccessfully installed the4 power take off. Tomoorw I shall Install the drive shaft..

Attachments

rustystud

Theres more to the correct use of fasteners. The manufacturer of the fastener determins its claim of strength.
For example, chinese grade 8 does not live up to the standards set for grade 8. American made grade 8 does meet those standards.

When you but " grade 8" in the local hardware store, its from Chine. In order to get full strength grade 8 you must buy from a supplier who identifies his merchandise as american msed. THere is a story of the race car engine rebuilder who used grade 16 fron chhina, athe story goes as the segine was place under heavy load, the heads on the chinese bolts blew off.

If authenicity is important to you, check out the source of your fasteners.
In the second image I have siccessfully installed the4 power take off. Tomoorw I shall Install the drive shaft..
Very true !!!!
I only buy my bolts from "Tacoma Screw" up here in the Pacific Northwest. I know what I'm getting when I buy from them.

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 748880

Fixed it with JB weld, got her up to temp and took her for a test drive. No problems, no leaks.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DSCF2121.jpg Still got a little more to do, but I've been getting the Deuce wrapped up and ready for winter. The covers are for quad runners and small motorcycles. Just get your measurements, and you'll find them on e bay (cheap). Got this idea from BigMike.

Last edited:

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,....

Got my Deuce out this morning,....

Fired up in less than a full revolution as always and its been sitting for months.

Original plan was to do an oil and filter change then go to my bike club Christmas lunch tomorrow with it.

Weather has put an end to the oil/filter change so will do that in 2 weeks.

Still going to lunch tomorrow in the Deuce.

Darn I miss driving the Deuce, I kinda forgot how much fun this is to drive,....

Aussie.

Last edited:

rustystud

View attachment 748997 Still got a little more to do, but I've been getting the Deuce wrapped up and ready for winter. The covers are for quad runners and small motorcycles. Just get your measurements, and you'll find them on e bay (cheap). Got this idea from BigMike.
That is a great idea ! I've always just put a tarp over the cab, but this is so much better ! No matter how much I try and seal that cab it always finds a way to leak ! So now that it is the raining season (and will be until next summer ! ) I had to try and seal up the cab. Hopefully by the end of next summer I will have my shop built, and can keep the deuce inside. Right now I'm still dealing with the county about permits ! This has gone on now since June !!! According to the builder, king County usually takes a year to issue the permit. That means I have over 7 months to go. What a pain in the butt !!!! Now I'm wishing we had moved to Montana when we had the chance !

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a great idea ! I've always just put a tarp over the cab, but this is so much better ! No matter how much I try and seal that cab it always finds a way to leak ! So now that it is the raining season (and will be until next summer ! ) I had to try and seal up the cab. Hopefully by the end of next summer I will have my shop built, and can keep the deuce inside. Right now I'm still dealing with the county about permits ! This has gone on now since June !!! According to the builder, king County usually takes a year to issue the permit. That means I have over 7 months to go. What a pain in the butt !!!! Now I'm wishing we had moved to Montana when we had the chance !
Rusty, I use bunji cords on the winch and tow bar cover to keep it wrapped tight when the wind blows. The cover over the cab fits tight and works great at keeping the water and snow from entering the cab through all the little gaps around the door windows and soft top. This is the second year for the cab cover and it has proven durable so far.

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I smell ban...y'all need to be polite and professinal, it's embarrassing to the rest of us on the forum and in the hobby. MVs don't need negative press/exposure.
Best piece of advice in this thread after the "debate". Consider my bringing up of this as a formal warning to both parties to stop with the negativity and certainly stop looking for conflict on the site.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks