• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does My Bobber count as a deuce?
I think if it started its life as a deuce and you can still see it, it counts. Though I'm a little biased as time goes on and I mod mine more and more away from stock.

pitpawten

well the previous owner had installed a blade style battery disconnect on the negative terminal of one of the batteries which was great until it melted through in archdale and blue flames when I went to start the deuce a couple of weeks ago to show some friends

20191019_141929.jpg

So I picked up a very similar blade style disconnect from AutoZone today put it on cleaned up all the terminals while I was at it and brightened up the ends of the cables on the wire wheel.

20191019_144218.jpg

20191019_144255.jpg

Got it all put back together and it wouldn't start realizing that the batteries are too low they can kick the solenoid but not enough choose to actually turn the starter is my diagnosis

the looks like a couple of group 31 batteries are in order I almost went to Tractor Supply to pick some up but they only had one in stock figure I'll save for trip for when we have both

I've also got this spare plastic battery box that I pulled off a juice at tnj Murray which I'm going to install when I get my new batteries I'll try and post some pics when I get done

20191019_144707.jpg

It was February when I bought this so the fact that it seems like I only ever work on it in cold weather is fitting

rustystud

I think if it started its life as a deuce and you can still see it, it counts. Though I'm a little biased as time goes on and I mod mine more and more away from stock.
Mine is so far from stock now, it's a totally different truck ! Now when I see someone else's engine compartment I have to do a mental shift in my thinking !

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am in agreement with Rusty on this matter. I have enjoyed ugrades on one of my M35'sin partuclar, such as the bomb crane, hardtop, and winch, but these are original features to the truck. I did go beyond originality with my 24 volt/ 110 volt , 30 ampere inverter, this way I can run common tools for work, also the front axle lock outs, and I plan to put a spool in my front axle, maaking it like a solid axle!

Attachments

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am in agreement with Rusty on this matter. I have enjoyed ugrades on one of my M35'sin partuclar, such as the bomb crane, hardtop, and winch, but these are original features to the truck. I did go beyond originality with my 24 volt/ 110 volt , 30 ampere inverter, this way I can run common tools for work, also the front axle lock outs, and I plan to put a spool in my front axle, maaking it like a solid axle!
Have you ever driven a vehicle with a spool, or selectable locker in the front?

Last edited:

winfred

waved my magic wand at it and made half a tube of grease disappear, then verified visually nothing obvious was falling off or loose, then was surprised at only one out of 6 tires was low from 11 months ago when i last topped them up for the trip to swap the 109 box for a drop side, i think that left front rear was low then by about 10# like this time, amusing how they seem to hold air better then car tires (at 42 in the fronts and 32 in the rears, they look like they could stand to drop another 5 but don't want to run em on the street any lower

Have you ever driven a vehicle with a spool, or selectable locker in the front?
yea mines a pain in the butt with the detroit locker in the front, was hard to steer on NDTs, the wheel would whip back straight at warp 9 after turns on pavement and id keep my hands on the outside to catch/slow it, then became impossible on 395s to steer on pavement without hubs. would be nice to have select-able 6x6 on the fly and when im pulling something from pavement to dirt i lock one hub so i can still steer, like when i pulled this tree out of the middle of the street when it fell a few hundred feet and into my lot, planned vid of that pull but they were too busy filming the ground so all i have is the 2nd stage when i had time to process it into a log a few days later
https://youtu.be/OezJhz6gUPs

then it happened again with a even larger oak, this was all i could salvage of that pull https://youtu.be/a-R9VKIbUYQ

Last edited:

dmetalmiki

Sometimes total "demolition" of existing product, and starting all over (from scratch) is the best way to do something right.

Is that what I understand you did here, dmetalmiki?
Well yes and no, I ripped out all my modification wires, As I could not remember were in heck they went, and what to from years past.
Then I "plumbed in" a new whelen alternate and combined headlamp flasher unit. (Wig Wag).
To try to eliminate all the rear lights brake lights and turn signals from operating at the same time I had to re think the wiring modification for my truck from scratch.
It took me over 7 hours!. I was getting really frustrated and disappointed, and about to give up, When I realised that with my glasses on I could not see close up to wire in the 12 small posts on the unit.
Without my glasses everything was blurred and I kept seeing double!.
It took MANY attempts to put the right operating wire into the right terminal.
Finally, Everything worked.
The headlamps worked on normal driving high and low beam.
The 'Wig Wag' And simultaneous headlamp flashing sequence
worked correctly.
Tired out I quit for the day, Happy and satisfied.
I thought I saw a shadow as I went out of the barn and locked up.
Next day..F.a worked!!
T'was MURPHY I had seen in the shadows.
Ho Hum..Tomorrow I will try again......
But gratifyingly the rear Red Spot lamp alternating Wig Wags do work fine again and correctly.
The wiring in the pictures is ALL trial and testing circuit wiring before substituting it for new final cable and harness cover insulation.

Attachments

Last edited:

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello another ahab, and you ask " what was my thinking" ? HA, I am going to be honest. IM A SHOW OFF! When I drive around with my duallys, either on my M37, or my M35. everybody notices it ( especially the woman). And then I have ( the pleasure) of explaining to some how and why I do that . It isnt bad having duallys on the front of my WC53, but on the M35, its hard to steer.

Nomad1

Did some welding on the bed today. Fixs a hole that had been cut in in the bed for a water tank that was about 1 1/2 x 2 7/8 inches. I know I should of got a picture of the hole before I welded but here's a couple shots.View attachment 780222weld after grinding.jpg I could fill and grind more but I think this will do.

Nomad1

What you have done is called arm STRONGER steer.
Hello another ahab, and you ask " what was my thinking" ? HA, I am going to be honest. IM A SHOW OFF! When I drive around with my duallys, either on my M37, or my M35. everybody notices it ( especially the woman). And then I have ( the pleasure) of explaining to some how and why I do that . It isnt bad having duallys on the front of my WC53, but on the M35, its hard to steer.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That does look real cool ! Just like I was back in my tank at night getting ready to light up some enemy vehicle.
Yea guess I got lucky as my draft number was high and was still 2S when I turned 18. Do not think I would have made it but it also could have changed my life for the better. Must have been scary and a lot of Adrenaline waiting to light up the enemy. Where did you serve in action?

fpchief

Got all new seals in two of three axles this weekend. Came to a stop when the very last wheel cylinder was a little too rough to rebuild. Got my pto back from the shop. I was able to get all new bearings off Amazon, shop bead blasted all parts and it looks brand new. Was rusted real bad. A big thanks to G.....for all of the help making sure I was getting the correct bearings.

fpchief

20191020_194803.jpg20191020_194808.jpg20191020_194818.jpg

When i first pulled this PTO off my the deuce i had first bought for parts....it was 100% trashed inside. Shop did a great job and only charged $190 for labor. I am really happy with it. I try to do most things myself but made the right decision to pay for this to get done.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks