• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

WhoMe08721

Cleaned my bumper and got first coat of raptor liner on it. Also sprayed by sided tool box, I added to the truck where the spare tire was located at.
Bumper Before.jpgFirst Coat Of Paint.jpgBumper Cleaned.jpgSide Box.jpg

WhoMe08721

Finally got to raptor liner the truck floor. When to install a Stock Steering Column Gasket & it did not fit right & was worried about it falling apart when it gets wet. So I decided to custom make my own. Fired up the laser cutter and auto cad & made one out of PETG white plastic. Works great no more cold breeze from the steering column.

Cutting Custom Steering Column Gasket.jpgRaptor Liner The Floor.jpgStock Steering Column Gasket (Dose Not Wok).jpgCustom Steering Column Gasket.jpgCustom Steering Column Gasket 2.jpg

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally got to raptor liner the truck floor. When to install a Stock Steering Column Gasket & it did not fit right & was worried about it falling apart when it gets wet. So I decided to custom make my own. Fired up the laser cutter and auto cad & made one out of PETG white plastic. Works great no more cold breeze from the steering column.

View attachment 760669View attachment 760670View attachment 760671View attachment 760668View attachment 760667

That is a way better way then I did. I just cut up some rubber floor mat into two U shapes and overlapped them

FloridaAKM

I changed the oil & filters of the '85 Deuce that is now running again. The filters that came on the truck were the Hastings filters(I replaced with NAPA Gold 1134 filters) that the military uses & didn't really look that bad, but I have no idea when the oil was last changed & the rubber filter gaskets were cut down the middle making two half size gaskets out of one, some mechanic has a poorly calibrated torque wrench. Nothing solid came out of the oil pan, so that is a plus. Now on the drivetrain & the brake system.

tobyS

I changed the oil & filters of the '85 Deuce that is now running again. The filters that came on the truck were the Hastings filters(I replaced with NAPA Gold 1134 filters) that the military uses & didn't really look that bad, but I have no idea when the oil was last changed & the rubber filter gaskets were cut down the middle making two half size gaskets out of one, some mechanic has a poorly calibrated torque wrench. Nothing solid came out of the oil pan, so that is a plus. Now on the drivetrain & the brake system.
Alan....you do good work. It takes a lot to keep up a harem like you have.

ballencd

New cables

I installed my new tachometer cable and UOS gearbox on my bobbed truck. It's been almost 2 years but she still starts right up. I also replaced the 5 ton parking brake cable with one for a 2.5 ton! Only 10700 miles on the truck that I've had for 21 years.

Attachments

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I installed my new tachometer cable and UOS gearbox on my bobbed truck. It's been almost 2 years but she still starts right up. I also replaced the 5 ton parking brake cable with one for a 2.5 ton! Only 10700 miles on the truck that I've had for 21 years.
Well, that's still over 500 miles per year! They do like to be taken out for exercise once in a while. What's an UOS gearbox?

ballencd

UOS - Used Old Stock

UOS is Used Old Stock. The gearbox is the 90 degree drive adapter to turn the tach cable into the front of the engine. I was lucky to have a friend that had a spare because I did not take it apart enough to find the broken drive until I was ready to install the new cable.
IMG_7713.jpg
The pin on the left should be connected to the top of the gearbox and the pin sticking out at 1700 is the end of the cable that is rusted into the adapter. It works great now.

I bought the truck in 1997-8?? with 6K miles on it and 10 new tires. The engine was in pieces in the bed. All the parts were pretty rusty but after cleanup and a used cam gear it fired right up. Turned out it needed a injector pump too but since that was put in it has run perfectly ever since. I use it in the yard.....10 acres.....to move dirt around only and it has not been tagged or insured for about 10 years. I did bob it and install a dump kit after cutting about 3' out of the bed. That made a huge difference in strength required for steering and turning radius. It still needs a power steering unit but there is no money or time for that today.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Raptor Liner The Floor.jpgShifterbootcoversinstalled.jpgWINTERIZATIONSHIFTBOOTCOVERS.jpg Mrmag, toby is right. Here are some pics of transmission and transfer case shifters with canvas shift covers from JATONKA. I have a pair on my Deuce and they really control the amount of cold or hot air entering the cab. You can purchase these from JATONKA, they are priced right, easy to install, and made in the USA. John is also a Steel Soldiers member.

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 760811View attachment 760812View attachment 760813 Mrmag, toby is right. Here are some pics of transmission and transfer case shifters with canvas shift covers from JATONKA. I have a pair on my Deuce and they really control the amount of cold or hot air entering the cab. You can purchase these from JATONKA, they are priced right, easy to install, and made in the USA. John is also a Steel Soldiers member.
I just got my Mr gasket shifter cover today. Only $20

rustystud

View attachment 760669View attachment 760670View attachment 760671View attachment 760668View attachment 760667

That's looking real good ! I also like your new gasket.

FloridaAKM

Well, I am so stoked(about the '85 now running)that I bought the oil & filters for the '87 Deuce & changed both of them today after work. Its much easier the second time around after completing the '85 Deuce earlier this week, the difference is the '87 is much cleaner & I changed everything last time around a few years ago so less gunk & grease to remove; also....no cut gaskets on the base of the canisters. The oil however, was coal black after about 3,500 miles since the last oil change; its probably normal, but the '85 was nowhere near this dirty. Probably was not used that much either sitting on the side of some Air Force runway watching the planes land & take off. Nice to be really motivated again.

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I put on a shifter boot and my new Army shifter knob. A good bit of advice when putting on a new shifter boot like this, keep your old boot. Why? Because the old boot is the only thing keeping crud out of the transmission, the new boot only seals between the cab and the cover.

IMG_20190413_102633.jpg
IMG_20190413_104917.jpg

Valley Rock

Big wheeler cat peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Took the water tank off of my 1963 Studebaker M50 yesterday to replace the rotted wood rails in between the tank and the frame rails, and make doing some upcoming maintenance a bit easier (brakes, T-case replacement etc.)

While I was doing that I may have bought a couple other Deuces, one is absolutely cherry that would be a great candidate for a water tender, so if that deal comes together I may just convert this old M50 into a tractor, we shall see ...

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks