• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

Kaiser67M715

Well this afternoon I blede the brakes on my bomb truck, and I have about a 60% pedal. Wish it were harder, but it will have to do...
Did you adjust the shoes? I've found several trucks where the shoes aren't tight to specs, and give a "low" pedal feel.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

benhasajeep

Purchased the truck last Saturday, got insurance on Thursday, registered with antique plates on Friday. Put the plates on today. Put some magnetic signs over the Fire Department name. And put temp amber vinyl over the red emergency lights. Wife actually drove it couple miles down the road to town hall and back. Seems fine. Wipers not working though. I followed in own truck, nothing out of ordinary. She says drove straight. I also put together a glad hand with 1/2 connector. Had a 1" impact already. But picked up a 1/2" air hose for the truck. Already decided to pick up a cab seal kit. Most are worn out. Also ordered a NOS rim to put a spare on. I have a 20 ton bottle jack with air pump. But need to put together a 1/2" to 1/4" adapter to use with truck air. Parking brake doesn't seem to be grabbing any. So need to look at that next.

fasttruck

Wipers not working ? See if you can get some air tool oil as used in impact wrenches into them to free them up. [parking brake inop ? If the shoes are not completely wasted you can take up the slack at the transfer case end of the brake cable by loosening the jam nut and taking up on the "acorn" nut to shorten the cable. Handbrake has 2eas springs on it to hold the shoes back when released. Are these present ? There are also 4ea grease fittings on the handbrake. Neglect these at your own peril. The whole truck has about 40ea grease points. Do you have a lubrication order ? The air pump and reservoirs on a deuce can handle inflating tires but I doubt they have the capacity to drive a 1" impact wrench for long. But those 1" tools come in handy at home station for tire changing chores.

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
D3EA1776-ED1A-4ED6-861D-4803DC5BC6FB.jpg did some cleaning, and bypassed the FDC.
Quickly realized the in tank pump had a blown fuse, checked it to make sure the hose was good and it would rotate, replaced fuse and it runs like a RAPED APE now!

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
My background is General Contracting, and an "FDC" is a Fire Department Connection.

Can you help me please, Elijah95:

- What is the FDC that you're talking about?
The Fuel Density Compensater, a very common leak point for diesel fuel to enter the crank case and it’s among the first things to do when I acquire a New-To-Me truck; it’ll give you a bump in power, and is about a 30 minute job.

If ANYONE tells you “bypassing it will take away the multifuel function of the engine!” They don’t know what they’re talking about; it simply compensated for the different density’s of fuels to make the throttle act the same whether you burn gas, diesel, kero, oil etc for the young private’s when they drove the trucks in war

benhasajeep

Thanks for info on the wipers. Didn't think of lube. Was raining rest of day so left the truck alone. Will get under and check the cable / shoes on the parking brake. Will have to see how much air my impact uses. It's a foreign job so not as efficient as the better brands I am sure. So, it probably uses even more air than the professional models. But I don't use one enough (until now maybe) to warrant paying a grand or more for an impact gun that size. I do need to get 1" impact sockets. The ones I have are metric for tractors, and though one does fit the lug nuts, think I'd rather have the fractional size.

I did download some of the manuals from the site. The truck actually came with a routine maintenance manual in the glove box. I have not gone over everything myself yet. But everything point that the fire department did keep good care of the truck. As I suspected it was. Of note, you can see the date codes on the front tires. And they are 4704. So they were made in Nov of 04. Now doesn't mean they were installed then or anywhere around then. But the tires are not as new as I thought they were. The tread appears to be nearly new though. So, I don't think the truck was driven much by the FD.

tobyS

View attachment 773606View attachment 773607Put on 10 new tires ,good workout in the 93deg heat !!
all ready now to go to graves mountian ralley and ride some trails.

Big Tom
It always feels good to get a job done. My completions are always overshadowed by the 3 projects that replace it.

Is that your welder truck? It's nicely organized. I'm using an M1101 as my welder/torch vehicle. It gets a roof.

I'm working on the 4x4 A3 and trying to decide what tools to carry. I'm leaning towards extra air tank or tanks and an A frame crane. I have a grove crane winch that mounts high over the front of my bed. I'm thinking about adding a torch for scrapping. They are always handy to recover things.

emeralcove

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally got the rest of the stuff out of the back of my Deuce (wheels/tires, a jeep transmission/transfer case, jeep differentials, leaf springs) and cleaned out the dirt and spilled oil that was making "super mud" that didn't allow rain water to drain out. Making a 3 point turn that was more of a 6 point turn in the driveway so the back of the bed was down hill reminded me of how much I want to to the power steering conversion on my truck. But the cracks in the steering wheel are the worst part. I think I need to fill them with epoxy before a tear a chunk out of my hand. I am not looking to restore the wheel just make it a bit less apt to cause injury. any one have success doing something like that?

tobyS

LOL Emeralcove....my 97 A3 steering wheel looks like it's from a 47. I guess epoxy and paint and a lot of patience... they can be made whole.

Edit...Hi Tom....how many times do you find yourself with a torch in one hand and a stinger in the other? I used to have a 20,000 shop and when it sold, I purchased land. Now I work mostly outside on my own stuff....sucks....but makes one appreciate an organized truck and welder.

Last edited:

Privatewrench

Emeroclove....I purchased a steering wheel cover on amazon for mine. It was around $20 I believe, and fits great. Just make sure to order the right size. Just an easy work around...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks